Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would post up my results on how I modded my window switch with blue LED gauges. This is what I did and the parts I used. Sorry my pictures are really bad. I used my Girlfriends Digital Camera and it is not good.

3 - #74 LED Bulbs (Can get at Autolumination.com) enough for all 3 switches.

Soldering Gun
Solder
Knife, Dremel Tool, small screw driver
7mm Socket (I am pretty sure).

First, remove the panel from the door by pulling up on it. The panel will pop off. Remove the 3 harnesses from the panel. Remove the 2 switches from the panel using the socket. The black switch is the driver's switch which houses the light.

The switch is 2 pieces that can be taken apart to see the bulb. Use a small screwdriver or knife to seperate the base and the switch. Be careful because there are 2 metal pins that fall out which push the switch down for your power windows. Don't lose these or your switch won't work. Use the soldering gun to heat up and remove the old bulb.

Take you #74 bulb and remove the colored plastic from the bulb (Like the HVAC's) Don't break the resistors or wires off the bulb. On mine there was a red and blue resistor. My pictures are bad so it is hard to explain which way the red would face on the switch. So the easy way, take the switch out to the car, plug it in, turn on the car, touch the LED to the switch to see which way it should face when it lights up. Now solder the LED wires on the switch.

The other part of the switch where the actual lever is, I took off the rocker switch and removed the plastic in the center where the old bulb would go into. This way the bulb and resistors have more room. The height of the bulb is about the same as the plastic on the switch.

Now reassemble. Put the pins for the switch back in the top piece. Snap the bottom of the switch into the top. I left the rocker switch off while reassembling so I could make sure the bulb went in straight.

After that, I put the rocker switch back on and here is the finished product.

Put switches back onto panel, hook up wires, and snap back onto door. To test, turn the key to "ON" and you will see the bulb light up.

The 2 other switches don't have a power supply. The light on the drivers switch turns on with accessory power, not the headlights. For the drivers side passenger switch, you can tap into the drivers switch light source or use the accessory power that powers the window switch when the car is on. For the passenger side, you have to use the accessory power off the window switch. I will be finishing up the other 2 switches soon.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were some posts about how people did this. I was going to buy some 3 or 5mm LED's but had some #74 blues laying around from another vehicle I had. They worked out pretty well and don't interfere with the switch. And I really didn't see much with pictures of the install so I thought this might help people out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did all my switches with 3mm leds (blue)

Turned out awesome. Even did the sunroof. I would say it would take a guy bout 2 hours total for all 4 switches.

I have read some threads on here hinting that this is a difficult mod. Its very basic. The only 'hard' one to do is the sunroof, but it is do-able.

·
Registered
526 Posts
98rt_canadian said:
I did all my switches with 3mm leds (blue)

Turned out awesome. Even did the sunroof. I would say it would take a guy bout 2 hours total for all 4 switches.

I have read some threads on here hinting that this is a difficult mod. Its very basic. The only 'hard' one to do is the sunroof, but it is do-able.
Same way (3mm) I did the LED's in my previous car....a piece of cake :thumbsup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Bacardi 151 said:
Yes, luckily we can remove the switch bezel w/o removing the door panel first...
Yeah that's a PITA just to get the switches out :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I completed all of the switches (2 driver and 1 passenger). I soldered the driver side passenger switch to a spot on the inside of the switch itself. This way, no wires to run. Did the same for the passenger switch. The only thing I noticed is for the passenger, where ever you solder the bulb to, when you use the switch on the driver side, the bulb will go out. The reason being is because the driver side passenger switch cuts out the power to the passenger switch to override it. Next project will include doing the 2 power lock switches and also running wires from the dimmer thru the door to power the switches this way so the lights only turn on with the headlights.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only1Balto said:
subscribed
If you want, you can check out the other one in my Sig that goes to the Dimmer Switch. This one is nicer because they only come on with your lights and you can dim them as well.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I just did this. I broke one switch and I have a short somewhere, but they look really good. I'll post pictures when I'm completely done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.