Dodge SRT Forum banner

541 - 556 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Hi guys,
is it ok to do this procedure on Caliber SRT4 2008?

I've just changed timing chain and noticed that balancing shaft chain is also stretched alot.
I have my engine open atm and wouldn't like to wait for a week for new parts to come..

EDIT: I've just read that oil pump is attached to shaft, is it true?
In the neon the balancer chain goes up and over the crank shaft and has nothing to do with the oil pump. Can you see where the chain goes?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
We don't know since this is the neon srt-4 site. I'd go over to the caliber srt-4 site and ask those guys.

·
Registered
0 Posts
We don't know since this is the neon srt-4 site. I'd go over to the caliber srt-4 site and ask those guys.
Thanks.

This procedure does NOT apply on Caliber SRT4.
Caliber has integral oil pump with balancing system.

Caliber owners; do NOT try this!

FYI!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maybe a pound........but if you take out the shaft assy that would be a "significant" weight savings. Follow the how to and unbolt the assy and plug 1 oil port with a 5/16 plug.
Do you by any chance know if taking apart this red circled 1/4 piece will be hard to do? its the aluminum part of the block I'm rearing too, although I know I accidentally circled a bit of the BS assembly. Also will it be hard to get back aligned, because I know this has to be flush and true to the rest of the block to create a good seal to the whole oil pan. I need to know because I need to access my piston rods and take my pistons out but this dang BS assembly is stopping me right now. Thanks

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
It's the oil pump. The hard part is getting a puller to get the timing belt cog off. It's easy and obvious. The service manual has pics and you can download it here on the forums from the how-to section.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's the oil pump. The hard part is getting a puller to get the timing belt cog off. It's easy and obvious. The service manual has pics and you can download it here on the forums from the how-to section.
I know the picture is a bit confusing as to what I'm circling, but I have the oil pickup piece off at the moment. so if i can get the timing cog off, then i can pull that quarter block piece off and be able to get it back on straight and flush no problem? I know everyone on here says to cut the chain and be done with the assembly but if I do cut the chain and leave the assembly in will it bite me in the @$$ in the future?

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I know the picture is a bit confusing as to what I'm circling, but I have the oil pickup piece off at the moment. so if i can get the timing cog off, then i can pull that quarter block piece off and be able to get it back on straight and flush no problem?
You can't put it back together so it won't line up. It's the oil pump, not a quarter block thingy
I know everyone on here says to cut the chain and be done with the assembly but if I do cut the chain and leave the assembly in will it bite me in the @$$ in the future?
No. I would recommend plugging the oil supply though. I left mine in my built motor.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I"m going to be replacing my oil pan gasket and was thinking of cutting the chain while i was in there, but i have a MPX underdrive pulley. Do you see that causing problems? I've had it on for about 3 years now without a worry.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I"m going to be replacing my oil pan gasket and was thinking of cutting the chain while i was in there, but i have a MPX underdrive pulley. Do you see that causing problems? I've had it on for about 3 years now without a worry.
The pulley won't make a difference. I have an Unorthodox Racing UDP and a cut chain.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Thanks. Just out of curiousity if I don't plug my oil line will it cause future damage to the engine?
Not that I know of but it's cheap insurance since you don't need it anymore. It allows that oil to go to places where it actually is needed with the theory being that oil pressure is maintained

·
Registered
324 Posts
The pulley won't make a difference. I have an Unorthodox Racing UDP and a cut chain.
Thanks, I was worried about it because the udp isn't a damper like the stock pulley is. Didn't know of that would have any negative effect with a cut chain or not.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
OLD thread. I just want to say I just did this and followed the diagram on what to take off and what to keep on.

Vibration is a bit more at idle. Like a TINY bit more. You can feel vibration in the steering wheel now. But everything else is like when I had it on! I have solid torque struts and transmission mount. Do not understand the guys that put it back on or regretted taking it off... It really wasn't much of a change at all!

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I don't think it's bad. I have all solid motor and tranny mounts including the center motor mount and I daily drive it. The drone from the exhaust of this car is the most annoying thing by far.

541 - 556 of 556 Posts