Dodge SRT Forum banner

501 - 520 of 556 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Quick ?....I cut my BS chain, and had it running then checked it afterwards...I put in 5QTS of oil, and I am on MIN on the dip stick? I put all the bolts back in inspection plate (not the guides) and the assembly back in...weird??
Weird. With the BA still in, the oil volume would remain the same. You sure the stick was seated entirely into the rod?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I don't mind the vibration/noise at all with the balance chains out....but then I don't have to daily drive my ride either. I love the racecar feel...thats what this car is IMO.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I don't mind the vibration/noise at all with the balance chains out....but then I don't have to daily drive my ride either. I love the racecar feel...thats what this car is IMO.
Agreed. Even at a red light and my music off, I enjoy the subtle vibrations of my solid mounts and no balance shafts/chain. Makes the car feel like it actually puts down the power it truly does. Even passengers don't complain. The only thing sometimes they'll complain about is the drone from my 3" resonated turndown dump I have, but that's another story :frogtongu

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How you liking it so far? Im thinking about doing it when I do my clutch this weekend.
i dont mind much at all. vibrations dont really concern me b/c i'm on dump exh. so i had that anyways, since i'm dumped, i dont hear anything noise wise but my exh. so i honestly dont feel / sound any different.

although the peice of mind of now having it blow up if i manage to get to 400H is quite the releif.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok so this is what i've herd to be the best way to do this, correct me if i'm wrong because i haven't done this yet. my motor is out of my car and completely tore down to to destroyed bedplate.. (long story) but
i have my BSA out and in my room i've herd that doing this is easier than buying a windage tray. and just so you all know this is for those that think it is a big deal with weight! when really its only saving you 6lbs :rofl:
1. cut the chain and remove the BSA

2. remove the cover for the shaft bolts

3. remove the 2 big bolts and the tensioners

4. remove the cover for access to the shafts

5. remove the shafts

6. block the oil hole

7. put the covers back on and re-install the BSA to the motor

balance shaft assembly full

balance shaft assembly empty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once the chain is cut, will the whole assembly drop down nicely?
You will have to unscrew the 4 bolts that attach the BS (balance shaft) to the bottom portion of the block. You also have to rotate the crank CLOCKWISE to get the chain off of your crank. After that just follow the steps for plugging the oil drain hole and you'll be all set to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Then how come other people say if u cut the chain u need to plug a hole.or u loose oil pressure, im so confused, this fourm is confusing i posted a picture of my timing nelt and half the people said it was off and half ssaid good it turned out good thank god, but idk wjo to trust anymore i have this guy bogdan of jsm motorsports tellin me im still loosin oil pressure, even tho i just cut the chain, i dont wana blow my motor help please???

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Then how come other people say if u cut the chain u need to plug a hole.or u loose oil pressure, im so confused, this fourm is confusing i posted a picture of my timing nelt and half the people said it was off and half ssaid good it turned out good thank god, but idk wjo to trust anymore i have this guy bogdan of jsm motorsports tellin me im still loosin oil pressure, even tho i just cut the chain, i dont wana blow my motor help please???
If you read through this thread, you'd realize that the people saying that you'll lose oil pressure are saying so for a reason. There is no reason to keep oil pumping to shafts that aren't spinning, and there's already enough demand on the oil pump, especially if the engine is modified for more power/RPMs.

There may not be cases of blown engines, but a weak or weakened oil system will certainly do it, so why take a chance?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That should be sticking to the first page who's gonna realistically sit there and read 10,000 post to find a little piece of information that's just stupid sticky please for such a vital piece of info in a how to thread!!!!!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Hey guys I knw I'm late to the thread but I need help,I just put my big turbo and I did cams springs and cut the balance shaft chain since then my oil pressure is at 8-10 at idle and 14-16 at 2000 rpms,now I didn't plug the hole is that why my pressure is so low?? I just dnt knw what it could b

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hey guys I knw I'm late to the thread but I need help,I just put my big turbo and I did cams springs and cut the balance shaft chain since then my oil pressure is at 8-10 at idle and 14-16 at 2000 rpms,now I didn't plug the hole is that why my pressure is so low?? I just dnt knw what it could b
mine is 10-12 stock idle speed, fully warmed up, and i PLUGGED IT. 108k miles on the engine, stock longblock besides this

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The aem and its taped into the head not the back of the block so does urs read pretty lie too
I have the same one AEM electronic oil pressure and tapped in the head next to cam sensor

501 - 520 of 556 Posts