Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a front Strut tower bar is typically a very easy, straight forward bolt in job, but because the Performance Autowerks bar uniquely has the 3-point attachment, I wanted to give some clarification on how the installation goes.

DISCLAIMER: I AM PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION TO BE USED AS RECOMMENDATION ON HOW I PERFORMED THE TASK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILTY ON ANY ISSUES THAT ARISE FROM SOMEONE ATTEMPTING TO DUPLICATE MY RESULTS. I ALSO TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU FUCK SOMETHING UP... THATS ON YOU.

general tools required:
  • Various wrenches and/or sockets
  • drill with various bits (Up to 1/2'' required or a step bit)
  • T20 torx driver
  • tape (recommended)
  • chisel or punch (recommended)
Step 1: Cowl panel removal
  1. Remove rubber cap over passenger side wiper bolt. It just pops off, though you may need to use a small flat head screwdriver to get under it.
2. Remove the bolt holding the wiper arm on. I believe this is a 13mm.
3. Remove the wiper arm by pulling straight out on it. It may require some wiggling.​
4. Remove the 3 T20 torx screws holding the cowl panel down. (2 shown, there is also a 3rd in the middle)
5. Remove the rubber seal (under the hood) that runs along the front of the cowl behind the motor and the rubber seal that runs along the windshield. They just pull off.​
6. remove the cowl panel. You have to slide it right & left to align the tab with the drivers side cowl panel, but it should come off easily.​
Step 2: Bar installation
1. Remove all 6 nuts from the top of the struts (3 on each side.)
2.Install the supplied small washer to the front most strut tower bolt on each side. This will go under the strut tower brace to keep everything level.
3. Install the bar in place on the strut towers. (honestly this was probably the most difficult step because of how snug the bar is to the cowl. Take your time and you'll be able to wiggle it over the strut tower bolts and have it all in place.) I recommend reinstalling the strut tower nuts at this time, but only hand tight.​
4. The bar comes with extra washers to be used as spacers (if needed) between the bar and the cowl. Now would be the time to determine if you need to use a spacer. I did not.​

3. Cowl attachment
1. Cut out the supplied (very cheesy looking) template provided with the brace. This is used to determine where the holes need to be drilled for the bolts to go through the cowl.​
2. Determine where the template needs to go. Take notice of the notch in the template and the shape of the cowl. Once you have it where you believe it needs to go, look underneath and ensure it looks like it will line up with the holes in the brace and then tape it into place. The holes in the brace are big enough to where if you're off a little bit it shouldn't be an issue.
3. (Recommended) use a chisel or punch to dimple the cowl right where the two black dots are in the template. This will help keep the drill bit from trying to walk down the cowl when you drill the holes.​
4. Drill the hole first with a really small bit. Ensure the hole placement is centrally located in the holes of the brace and adjust as needed. Keep drilling the holes, stepping up in bit size until they are drilled out to 1/2'' OR use a step bit to open up the holes to 1/2''.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5. If your drill is too large to fit in place, you can use a 90 degree adapter to get better access.

6. Install bolts in cowl bracket using supplied washers and lock washers finger tight.

7. tighten strut tower nuts and then cowl panel bracket bolts (20 ft-lbs).
8. Reinstall cowl panel and wiper arm in reverse order it removed.
Done! (ignore messy engine bay, its a work in progress!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts