Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I moved here from TX for a job and I got a stock turbo SRT with 3" exhaust all the way. The car has HKS SSQV, Crane 18s, AEM CAI, and a 3" Catted down pipe.

Can any of y'all describe the best course of action for me to take? What are my options? My ideal solution would be one that's pre-installed and I won't have to swap CATs after the test. As of now, car is being built and depending on what people say, we'll select the appropriate setup for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To pass visual inspection you will need to have a cat in place or at least the shell of a gutted cat.

Also your car should not have any check engine codes. I dont´know what´s your setup but if you have an oxygen sensor check enginel light on, you need to get rid of that code.

Texas do not put any emissions probe on your exhaust so if you do both things you should pass even without a cat.

Hi there! I moved here from TX for a job and I got a stock turbo SRT with 3" exhaust all the way. The car has HKS SSQV, Crane 18s, AEM CAI, and a 3" Catted down pipe.

Can any of y'all describe the best course of action for me to take? What are my options? My ideal solution would be one that's pre-installed and I won't have to swap CATs after the test. As of now, car is being built and depending on what people say, we'll select the appropriate setup for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wait are you saying you are moving TO Texas or moving FROM Texas to California?

If it's California, you're gonna have a hard time passing SMOG. I don't have any direct experience, but you're likely gonna need the original cat and no engine modifications whatsoever.

Or you can find someone that can pass your car if you slip them extra cash.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait are you saying you are moving TO Texas or moving FROM Texas to California?

If it's California, you're gonna have a hard time passing SMOG. I don't have any direct experience, but you're likely gonna need the original cat and no engine modifications whatsoever.

Or you can find someone that can pass your car if you slip them extra cash.
Yeah, I'm currently living in Cali. I have a car that's coming from TX to here and it's got a boat load of mods done to it. When I first started building it, I didn't really have any intent on moving to Cali, so I went hog wild with the mods. Looks like I'm going to have to get a stock cat and make a swap.

·
Registered
336 Posts
After living in California for...8 of the last 20 years, Leave that communist sate, or register it in a real, unbiased state and just never swap drivers licenses out, Got cousins?

Fuck California's bullshit smog laws. if you get pulled over, just mention you are passing through visiting a friend for the week or something.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After living in California for...8 of the last 20 years, Leave that communist sate, or register it in a real, unbiased state and just never swap drivers licenses out, Got cousins?

Fuck California's bullshit smog laws. if you get pulled over, just mention you are passing through visiting a friend for the week or something.
Currently still have my TX license. There's a chance that my new job will require me to have a CA License to move equipment around.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Not going to work with a loud ass neon driving around. Out of state neons get left alone but if the same cop sees you twice you're F-ed. Either sell it and get a corvette or start looking for stock parts. Stock exhaust, no CEL codes, no blow off valve.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not going to work with a loud ass neon driving around. Out of state neons get left alone but if the same cop sees you twice you're F-ed. Either sell it and get a corvette or start looking for stock parts. Stock exhaust, no CEL codes, no blow off valve.
Ugh, you're kidding.

I won't have any CEL codes, but I will have an audible HKS SSQV, Crane 18 cam, and a 3" exhaust. Guess I have to take the wing off and drive super slow all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a catless exhaust, albeit with a muffler, and an ear piercing eBay blow off valve that I need to get rid of. Living in a very uptight neighborhood I've never been pulled over in the neon and I don't consider myself a cautious driver (especially living close to the sheriff station). Of course that's Socal, I'm not sure how the Bay Area is.

In regards to getting it to pass smog, stock exhaust setup is the way to go. Or ask around the car scene and I'm sure you could find someone that will pass you for some money. That may be your best and cheapest option. Also, have fun only getting shit 91 gas in California!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
jakensrt4
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing