Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is to make the vent on the top of the hood more open so that more air can flow back to the turbo.

*** Sorry about the reflections on the hood, I did this in my garage with the Sun behind me....****

This is what the hood scoop looks like from the showroom.

As you can see it is functional, but there is a shelf back there that divertes the air straightdown through a smaller vent.

Without the scoop installed you are able to see clear back to the turbo vents.

Removing The Scoop

You will need a 9mm socket wrench

Remove the two nuts located behind the hood latch.

Then push the screws up out through the holes. Use your thumb to grasp the scoop. Once the two screws clear the holes, pull up and out. The scoop will pop out.

Here you can see the scoop removed.

The air enters the scoop and is directed down through the smaller vents where it hits the inner hood skin. The air then turns 90 degrees again and heads back to the turbo vents. I would imagine all the turning kills the air flow and leaves some room for improvement.

Heres the vents that the air passes through

Modifiying The Scoop

I used a Dremel with a 1/32" thick cut-off disc. You could probably get by with a hacksaw or wire cutters. If your on this website and coming to this particular section, you should already have a Dremel :eveilgrin

This shows the amount I chose to cut off. I basically followed the line of the vent on the bottom, so it cuts off even. I cut the center brace about halfway because that all the cut-off disc could reach. Then once I cut everything else free, I twisted the whole piece and the center brace detached nice and cleanly.

Ahh..there we go, much better now

Reinstall the scoop the same way you took it out. Place it in the hole at an angle and then push it so the screws are in the holes. Then you should be able to snap it down in place. Put the nuts back on.

Heres the modified scoop reinstalled. You can now see clear back to the turbo vents. The air has much less restriction and should maintain more velocity as your driving down the road.

Scoop still looks stock from outside, so no evident DIY workmanship here!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SRT-Vegas765 said:
yea its there for water deflection. i did sumhting similar to this with my car and i havemt had a problem.
Thats what I figured, but it never rains in Texas, and I don't drive this car when it does. Plus water still splashes on the Turbo when it rains....just look at the underside of your hood.

Definently a worst case scenario thing, but I think its OK. And as you mentioned I know poeple have done this in the past...there just wasn't a How-To that I saw.

·
Registered
139 Posts
n

dam thats some crazy shine!:blingblin

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
paint ur garage son lol! nice write up

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
I just did this and it actually helped out pretty decently. My car was already hot from driving...I did this mod...went to the grocery store and came back. I popped the hood and rather than getting a greeting of hot air I got barely any heat comming up, so it's definitely working...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
will the water kill the parts under the hood? i mean when it rains fairly heavily. i can imagine it iwll be totally wet under the hood.. i am talking about damage by cold water/rust.. or anything ucan think of?
buthowever good write up, i will do this if it doesn't damage anything

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
ac_srt4 said:
will the water kill the parts under the hood? i mean when it rains fairly heavily. i can imagine it iwll be totally wet under the hood.. i am talking about damage by cold water/rust.. or anything ucan think of?
It can't be that bad because think of cars like the wrx and imprezas and etc. who have non filtered or blocked off hood scoops. Think of what it must be like once a wrx owner takes off the intercooler and does a front mount. With such a small space I can't imagine that enough water would get through to mater

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
water wont harm anything and I just did mine right now with a saw :frogtongu took like 10 min tops. I have yet to test it out but rather fun mod and very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
endlessheart666 said:
ac_srt4 said:
It can't be that bad because think of cars like the wrx and imprezas and etc. who have non filtered or blocked off hood scoops. Think of what it must be like once a wrx owner takes off the intercooler and does a front mount. With such a small space I can't imagine that enough water would get through to mater
That's very true. I just don't want to have a rusted bolts everywhere under the hood after a while :p
Whoever did it, please tell me after driving highway in rainning conditions, after you pop the hood, do you see water everywhere? or they are just fine?
cos for stock, i know it's bone dry.
It does rain a lot here.. depends on the season.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My eyes were freaking out man!!!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
just now did this mod too...took less than 10 min....and even without the little plastic diverter in place i still dont think water will make it all the way back there. Once u take the plastic hood scoop out and u see the inside of the hood ull see what i mean. Also look under the hood there is a little place leading from the scoop area to 2 square holes where water drains. Ud have to be driving in hurricane force winds....blowing directly into the scoop and even then the water prolly wont make it b/c at the very back of the hood just b4 the scoop exits there are little raised ridges to stop water

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
like i said mines been out for over a year prob close to two and car is fine....had freakin hurricane hit me for god sakes and still goig....

1 - 20 of 142 Posts