Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crack open beer:

1) Raise the vehicle and place jack stands under the vehicle. You can do either the front or the back first, but you need to have both sides off of the ground.

2) Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
3) Remove the screw securing the ground strap to the rear of the strut.
4) remove the screw securing the ABS wheel speed sensor to the rear of the strut.

5) Remove the two bolts attaching the strut to the steering knuckle.

6) Open the hood.
7) Remove the three nuts attaching the upper mount of the strut assembly to the vehicle’s strut tower.

8) Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
9) Position the strut assembly in the strut coil spring compressor and compress the spring.

10) Stick a 10mm socket onto the top of the strut with a 1/4" extension in it. Then slide a 13/16" spark plug socket(with the rubber removed)over the 1/4" extension. Hold the extension in place and slide a cresent wrench onto the plug socket and loosen the nut with the cresent wrench.

11) Disassemble the strut and coil.
12) compress the new spring and reassemble the strut/coil in opposite order.
13) Install the strut assembly into the strut tower, aligning the three studs on the strut upper mount with the holes in strut tower. Install the three
mounting nuts on the studs. Tighten the three nuts to a torque of 34 N·m (300 in. lbs.).
14) Position the lower end of the strut assembly in line with the upper end of the steering knuckle and align the mounting holes. Install the two
attaching bolts. The bolts should be installed with so that the nuts face towards the front of the vehicle once installed. Install the nuts. Holding the bolts in place tighten the nuts to a torque of 53 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) plus an additional 90° turn after the specified torque is met.
15) Attach the ABS wheel speed sensor to the rear of the strut.13 N·m (120 in. lbs.).
16) Attach the ground strap to the rear of the strut(120 in. lbs.).
17) Install the tire and wheel assembly.(100 ft. lbs.).
18) Crack open another beer, then move onto the other side.

On to the rears:

1) Raise the vehicle. Place jack stands under the vehicle. Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
2) Remove the screw securing the ABS wheel speed sensor bracket to the rear of thestrut assembly.
3) Remove the nut from the end of the rear stabilizer bar link bolt. Pull the bolt out through the top of the link and remove the link.

4) Remove the two guide pin bolts securing the rear disc brake caliper to the steering knuckle.
5) Remove the disc brake caliper from the knuckle and brake rotor. Hang the caliper out of the way using a wire hanger or cord. Do not support the caliper by letting it hang by the hydraulic hose.

6) Remove the two nuts and bolts attaching the strut to the rear knuckle
7) Open the deck lid. Remove the carpet from the top of the strut tower.
8) Loosen, but do not completely remove the 3 nuts securing the strut assembly to the strut tower. Grasp the strut assembly to keep it from moving, then remove the 3 mounting nuts at the strut tower.

9) Remove the strut assembly from the knuckle by sliding it away from the knuckle, lowering it between the two lateral arms, then tipping the top
outward and removing it out through the well opening.
10) Dissasemble the strut in the same way as discribed above.
11) Assemble the strut in the same way as discribed above with the new spring.
12) To place the strut assembly into mounting position, start the lower end of the strut over the top of the knuckle and down the back between the two lateral arms. Next, lift the top of the strut assembly up into the strut tower aligning the studs on top of the upper mount with the three mounting holes in the strut tower. While holding the strut assembly in place, install the three mounting nuts on the upper mount studs inside the luggage compartment.
13) Tighten the 3 mounting nuts to a torque of 34 N·m (300 in. lbs).
14) Install the carpeting back on top of the rear strut tower.
15) Reinstall the stabilizer bar link
16) Install the screw securing the ABS wheel speed sensor bracket to the rear of the strut assembly 13 N·m (120 in. lbs.).
17) Install the rear brake caliper.
18) Install the tire and wheel assembly on vehicle. Tighten the wheel mounting stud nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Repeat the tightening sequence, this time, to full specified torque of 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
19) Lower the vehicle to ground level.
20) Tighten the stabilizer bar link nut to a torque of 23 N·m (200 in. lbs.).

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
i have probably done a dozen srt lowering kits, and i can say that i have yet to use a spring compressor or that nifty way of using a cresent wrench and socket to remove the nut from the top of the spring. i have always simply used an impact gun (either electric, available from sears/osh/etc, or air) on the nut, the spring just pops off, and yoru set to go

·
Registered
150 Posts
so... hi n mighty... are you in the couve? if i was to lets say.... bribe you with a case of said beer, wanna help me do my mopar stage 1 springs ;)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you have all the tools, I might be able to help you out. I had to borrow the spring compressers, torque wrenches, and a few other tools to complete my job. Its also hard for me to find a full open day to do a project like this, having kids and such. Let me know when you wanna do it, I see if I can help you out. you could also post up in the NW section, lots of great guys in the NW that would be happy to help a guy out. You gonna make it to "NW Picture Day"? We PDX area guys need to start a plan to caravan up to the shoot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
i owe you big for this. i am doing this next weekend and was completely in the dark until now. thanks bud.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You forgot "Pop painkillers to remove headache inflicted by RICER type Bud beer (and I use the word "beer" loosely here.
I am dark beer man and ... oh alright, if it's free I'll take a Bud.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mopar Thunder God said:
You forgot "Pop painkillers to remove headache inflicted by RICER type Bud beer (and I use the word "beer" loosely here.
I am dark beer man and ... oh alright, if it's free I'll take a Bud.
no rice here my friend......just old school. my family owns taverns, we have always drank bud since we were kids :rofl:

·
Registered
864 Posts
damn, this is like 2 weeks to late ha. I did mine just winging it. I had compressed air for the top bolts. Was a life saver. Good write up, theres a problem, picture 3 and 4 are shots of the rear lol, Not the front

·
Registered
665 Posts
Nice write up. I reinstalling my stockers. Don't like my TEIN S-techs that much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts