Dodge SRT Forum banner

how to identify an 04 transmission.

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  warriorbob 
#1 ·
WarriorBob PM'd me the following question. I thought this info might come in handy for anyone looking for major SRT components.

Originally Posted by warriorbob

i would appreciate your help......i have a line on an 04 trans with LSD (ofcourse) but before i plunk down my bucks is their a serial number on the trans to check to make sure it is an 04 trans or any external markings so i can confirm that it is an 04 trans before i purchase and the guy sends it to me and i find out its an o3 trans

thanks bob
Yup There's a couple ways.

There should be two barcode stickers on the transmission. And possibly a vin stamped on it somewhere.

One will look like this TTU271404817 and be either 12 or 14 characters long.
This is a trace code label.
Position 1 'T' means trace code label.
Position 2-3 'TU' are the component code, based on manufacture.
!!Note, if the total barcode length is 14 instead of 12 like this code, positions 2-5, or 4 characters, are the component code!!

The next three characters (either 4-6, or 6-8) '271' are the julian date code of when the trans was built. the 271st day of the year (somewhere around the beginning of Sept)

The next single character is the year the transmission was built '4', or 2004.

So this example part was built on 2714, or the 271st day of 2004.

The last 5 characters are the serial number of this transmission.

!!please note that 04 models were built from July 03 till July 04, so you'll be looking for a late day 180+ julian date code with a '3' year, or an early <180 julian date with a '4' year code.!!

Every major component (engine, trans, transfer case, axles, wireing harnesses, airbags, brake boosters, etc) on every chrysler vehicle has a tracecode, and they can all be interpreted in this way.

The other barcode will look like this P05037573AA. That's the part number. I don't know what the part number for an 04 SRT transmission is, but your local dodge dealer might. If the trace code method doesn't land you squarely in a good date range, try this.

Finally, if a vin is stamped on the trasmission, which I think there should be, Look at the last 8 digits of it. They should read either 3D######, 4D######, or 5D######. The 3, 4 or 5 are the model year of the vin, the D means it was build at Belvider assembly plant, and the last 6 are the vin serial number (non sequential, so 125000 is not the 125,000th neon off the line). Obviously, you want either 4D or 5D (if your using this method for a different vehicle build by chrysler, the plant code 'd' will change). The vin would be the easiest way to tell, and I think all trasmissions and engines are pinstamped with the vehicle number they're installed in. Unless the transmission is 'black market'...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.