Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW-TO: Drivers Side Axle Seal Replacement

First follow one of these two HOW-TO’s on replacing your axles.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how-srt4-axle-replacement-passengers-side-108574

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/how-replace-axles-238877

Once you get your drivers side axle out, you will need the following.

Materials:
New Axle Seal (Drivers Side) part number 05069052AA
Rubber Mallet
L Shaped Pry Bar
Wooden block (2x3 or 2x4) or PVC Pipe

Directions:

Removal:
Reach inside the seal with your finger and you'll feel a metal lip. It will be only a little ways beyond the rubber seal itself. Do not pry behind this aluminum lip. You will bend it. I have seen some saying to use a screw and work your way through the inner circumference, prying at it a little each time. You will maul the inside of the seal, but it will come out. I tried this at first but I wasn’t having much luck. I was bending my screw drivers. I found an L shape pry bar and stuck it in right before the aluminum lip and pulled, it came right out. It was so easy.

Installing:
To install the new seal use a block of wood or PVC pipe that covers the entire surface of the seal and hit it directly in the middle with the rubber mallet. The seal has to be installed with pressure being even around the entire seal or it will go in crooked every time and you'll have to do it again. This part took me a couple tries. It was hard to swing mallet with barely any room. But I eventually got it on the third try. Double check that it is flush, then follow the directions in the Axle Replacement How-To’s to put everything back together.

Here's some Pics:

Leaking seal

New Seal comes pre-lubricated

New Seal Bag

Aluminum Lip with old seal out

New Seal installed

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Run your finger behind the seal. A little farther back you'll feel a metal lip. This is not where you want to pry; rather, you want to pry before that so you are just pulling the seal out and not affecting the little lip inside.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for this write up. I used this to replace mine.
I used a screw driver to pry the old seal out. It was tricky but here is a tip.
Pick a flat head screw driver that has about a 3 inch long shaft portion. Also your going to want to use one that looks strong(thick shaft portion) to reduce bending of your screwdriver while prying old seal out.
Also remove the metal ring with the slotted holes in it before trying to pry the seal out. This seemed to help me when I was trying to get my seal out. The metal ring just seats inside the seal. Thanks to this write up, I was careful not to pry against the inside aluminum lip by placing the screwdriver just past the inside rubber part of the seal and began prying against the rubber. Also while trying to get the new seal in, I kept the metal ring out and used a 2x4 about 7 inches long to hammer the seal in place. Then after getting the new seal to seat properly, I pressed the metal ring in place and used the same 2x4 to gently get the metal ring to seat in the seal properly.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts