1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to coolant flush:
Standard Drain

By: Silentwig

WARNING: ALLOW THE COOLANT TO COOL DOWN BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT ANY OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS.

1) Remove the coolant pressure cap by pressing down and turning counterclockwise

2) Hoist up the vehicle at your preferred lift point. I only had the one jack, so I could only lift it up at this point. Don't lift up at the side skirt; refer to manual for exact lift point position. (I just used the jack that came with the car). MAKE SURE TO SET THE E-BRAKE AND PUT BLOCKS BEHIND TIRES FOR SAFETY.ALWAYS USE JACKSTANDS, and DO NOT lift vehicle while parked on grass.

3) Put a container under the draincock to collect the coolant. FOR EXAMPLE: A PAIL.

Moderator added picture (Pic courtesy of Westrock);

4) Turn the draincock counterclockwise to begin the draining process. DO THIS ONLY BY HAND, YOU MAY BREAK IT USING A TOOL SINCE THE DRAINCOCK IS PLASTIC

5) When no more coolant comes out of the draincock, reinsert it turning it clockwise. DO THIS ONLY BY HAND, YOU MAY BREAK IT USING A TOOL SINCE THE DRAINCOCK IS PLASTIC...Youre warned not to use a tool to remove the drain cock, I used a needle nose pliers and it worked fine. Its not like its some brittle plastic. You break it, its your own fault though

TIME TO FILL IT BACK UP

1) Using whatever coolant you prefer (I chose the standard recommend Mopar 5yr/100,00mi coolant; this is not premixed, mix it 50/50 with distilled water) and get it prepared to put into the system.

2) Begin to fill the system with your chosen coolant using a funnel or some sort of device that will prevent you from spilling your coolant anywhere in the engine bay. Keep adding coolant until you begin to see coolant rising up over the thermostat. DON’T SPILL COOLANT ESPECIALLY ON THE BELTS, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!

3) Replace pressure cap turning clockwise.

4) YOU’RE DONE!!!

SINCE THERE IS MOST LIKELY AIR TRAPPED IN THE SYSTEM, YOU WILL PEROICALLY NEED TO CHECK IT BY REMOVING THE PRESSURE CAP AND ADDING COOLANT TO TOP IT OFF. (I ONLY HAD TO DO THIS 2 TIMES AFTER THE INITIAL FILL)

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Nice write up! I'll be doing this shortly myself!

BTW, I made this a sticky! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
892 Posts
nice, i will be doing this soon

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Complete Flush

OK, First what you want to do is drain the coolant just like in the how to. Now here is where it changes. After you drained the coolant, fill up the system with tap water. Repeat this Drain fill with tap water untill the tap water being drained out looks reletively clean. Between each drain/fill, make sure to take your car for a drive to get all the water flowing throughout the system. Then fill it up with distilled water. Drain the distilled water. Then add your pre-mixed coolant. Since there is going to still be distilled water in your engine block, your going to want to add a little more coolant to make it 50/50. I dont know how much fluid the block holds, so you might want to check into that. If you got a hydrometer that will tell you the specific gravity of the mixture. Im not sure what the specific gravity is suppose to be so you might want to check into that. This basically turns into a whole day project....Thats why I never wrote a how to on complete flush. I figured that most people wouldnt want to take the time. Honestly, you probably be better off just taking it to a dealer or something and have them use that machine that sucks all the old coolant out and repleaces it with new coolant. That costs around $40 if you already have your own coolant.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
will be doing soo to replace thermostat housing.. (dont ask)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
no you don't, but it makes it much easier to drain SOME of it.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
you don't keep adding coolant to get air out!you use the bleed thats what it's there for :jester:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ghowie said:
you don't keep adding coolant to get air out!you use the bleed thats what it's there for :jester:
You can do that too, or what I said :jester:

·
Registered
146 Posts
When filling the system back up, you should also have the HVAC control set all the way to hot. If you don't, you can get a big air pocket in the heater core.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ghowie said:
can you explain how to do that? thanks!
Right next to the radiator cap, there is a little metal screw like thing that looks like a nipple of sorts; open that up so it bleeds the air out

·
Registered
732 Posts
its just like a bleeder for breaks you crack it open and then it bleeds out the air so that you don't have coolant keep spilling over the top when the car heats up
basically once there is a steady stream of coolant coming out there then shut the bleeder by tightening it back down

·
Registered
226 Posts
The reason you dont wanna spill coolant on the belt is that its going to sqeak and you cant do jack about it, i had to replace mine cause i couldn't get it wo stop sqeaking.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
ChriSRT-4 said:
How often should u change the coolant?
Check your owner's manual if you have one.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
parrainx said:
The reason you dont wanna spill coolant on the belt is that its going to sqeak and you cant do jack about it, i had to replace mine cause i couldn't get it wo stop sqeaking.
oil dry my friend, just drop in the over the belt when the car is running and it will go right away :frogtongu

1 - 20 of 84 Posts