Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping some of you guys & gals would have some good tips on how to keep an engine bay clean and like new. I have my reservations about steam cleaning because I don't know what it will do to the electronics. What do people use to clean their engine bays? What should we not try to clean? How can one get and maintane that showcar look under the hood?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I have some ideas:

1. Don't drive it. EVAR.
2. Hose it all down with low pressure @ car wash.
3. Try high pressure if you're feeling dangerous.
4. Just wipe it down every now and then while the block's cold.

I do #4 and the motor still looks good. I've done #2 with my hose @ home on a wide spray while the block's stone-cold too - just avoid the fuse boxes and other electrical stuff.

If I'm feeling especially show-offish I detail the underside of the hood w/ soap & water. Wipe dry.

I'm hesitant to use any of those de-greasers or engine sprays as I don't know what kind of residue they'll leave, and I've seen what Armor-All products do over time to anything they touch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
On my first gen, once or twice a year I would take a little of the Armor All low gloss stuff and spray a little on the hoses and plastic pieces under the hood while at the car wash. Let it sit a couple minutes (like while you wash the rest of the car) and then rinse off with the low pressure spot-free rinse. It left just enough on the make everything look nice, but took enough off to keep it from attracting dust. Of course, avoid spark plug wires, fuse box, connectors, etc with the water. Another thing I learned way back in high shcool is to make sure and have the engine running while rinsing the engine bay... otherwise it might be a while before she starts again if you hit something you're not supposed to with the water.

Donovan

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
Spray bottle with some Simple Green (1/10 dilution) and a rag. For getting in where you can't reach, a long handled brush gets in there. Personally, I use a weed sprayer full of hot water to rinse things like the intake manifold and the cam cover, etc.

The biggest source of dirt is road spray coming through the headlight/hood gaskets. It gets the timing belt cover and the air filter box filthy. The top of the cam cover gets dirty from crap coming through the hood scoop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.