Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never cleaned an engine before. Just wondering if someone had some tips or advice. I.E what do you use, what do you cover if anything, anything i should look for or not do, or just any general information. The only thing i honestly know is to do it when the car is cold and use a heavy duty engine degreaser. I have researched it, but haven't found the information i have been looking for. Thanks for the help Shaun.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
make sure the engine is cold, wrap plastic around anything you do not want to get wet..light mist of water across the entire engine bay. spray it down real good with simple green let it sit for about 2 minutes then begin to scrub and wipe (EVERYTHING) down, then pray again with simple green and let sit for another 2 minutes then rinse the engine down with a light mist..pull all the plastic off and start engine and allow to dry for 15 minutes. once it is dry you can start wiping the cracks that did not dry, then you can apply armorall to the rubber and plastic peices, polish any polished items (cai or cc) 2 hours of work and it will look awesome...that is the process i do and it works well. just an idea for you...hope it helps...... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool that answers alot of questions. Few quick things. do i have to unhook my battery, and what would i want to cover? I know my air filter and fuse box, but is there anything else i should be concerned with. thanks shaun

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
SpringHillSRT4 said:
cool that answers alot of questions. Few quick things. do i have to unhook my battery, and what would i want to cover? I know my air filter and fuse box, but is there anything else i should be concerned with. thanks shaun
breather filter (if you have one) cai filter (if you have one) i cover all my sensors as well, i do not unhook my battery, other than that as long as you don't drentch the engine like with a pressure washer you will be fine. the key is to start the car as soon as your done so it can dry well.....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
all i do is cover my air box and go to ernies and spray with with the high presure engain soap. then rinse always comes out looking brand new

·
Registered
555 Posts
Another tip i have is once u clean your engine bay you can keep it clean by wiping the water and sand off every time you wash your car, this way you don't have to worry about build up of grease and sand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts