Dodge SRT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am just gonna get 2 new moog control arms that come with new ball joints and bushings. it comes out to $198 shipped.

good write up but i aint doing all that shit.lol

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
so i completed this yesterday... drove it today, 20 miles later the hub came off of the ball joint. bolt was torqued correctly to specs. 2k in repairs now...

i wish i could tell you where i went wrong but i dont see how it came off the ball joint.
I have had this happen to me...the bolt was not inserted in the ball joint correctly, it was actually above the stud, i thought it was through it.

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am just gonna get 2 new moog control arms that come with new ball joints and bushings. it comes out to $198 shipped.

good write up but i aint doing all that shit.lol
yeah, i considered that too. i already have a set of lca bushings to go in also so i figured might as well use the arms i have.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I have a 12 ton press, do i really need that huge tool to do this? I think i will be able to just support the lca in the press and pop it out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a 12 ton press, do i really need that huge tool to do this? I think i will be able to just support the lca in the press and pop it out.
You can use the press, we use that same tool the OP showed in school. It's designed for use on the car. So either a press or that tool will work just fine. GL

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You can use the press, we use that same tool the OP showed in school. It's designed for use on the car. So either a press or that tool will work just fine. GL
agreed. if i wasn't swapping lca bushings too it would have been easier to press the ball joint in/out in the car.

i haven't installed them yet, i'll probably be doing it this weekend. once i'm done i'll post up the install part of the how to.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Two tips, use the small hollow cylinder and the press to get the MOOG rubber boot on. Also don't tighten the greese nipple all the way down, doing this I got a few hairline cracks where the nipple threads in. Doubt it will affect anything just pointing it out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Few pics of mine installed.

Just waiting on NoisufnoC to finish so he can send me the Passenger side :)

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I just replaced both lower arms for 148.00 dollars using United brand.

The OEM brand for this car is Domain.

If you going to replace the joint, you might as well replace both arms. Also, check the tow arms for any damage.
Whats the logic to spending 3x the amount to replace a stamped steel part that has pretty much zero likely hood of deforming?

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Whats the logic to spending 3x the amount to replace a stamped steel part that has pretty much zero likely hood of deforming?
i think what he's saying is that the new arms come with the ball joints and bushings already installed. or at least all the one i've seen do.

if i wasn't going with upgraded lca bushings i would have just gone that route.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
i think what he's saying is that the new arms come with the ball joints and bushings already installed. or at least all the one i've seen do.

if i wasn't going with upgraded lca bushings i would have just gone that route.
So youre willing to pay for 100 bucks for a ball join install? Just take it to a garage then and dont get a drop of grease on your hands and waste any time in your own labor.

Just saying, i get the point tho.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Question: How do you know how much grease to push into the ball joint?

NoisufnoC: Can i possibly purchase your Passenger side LCA after you complete the install?

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Question: How do you know how much grease to push into the ball joint?

NoisufnoC: Can i possibly purchase your Passenger side LCA after you complete the install?
PM replied.

From what I've read, you pump it into the ball joint until you start to see some seep out from the boot.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
PM replied.

From what I've read, you pump it into the ball joint until you start to see some seep out from the boot.
Thats what ive seen as well. Also the MOOG boot has alil groove in it, wonder if thats for the grease to escape?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts