Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member (Lifetime), 2011 Calendar Car
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed this work with the Lower Control Arms completely removed from the car. It is possible, and might actually be easier, to do this work with the LCAs installed. This would use the car to hold them steady as you pressed out and pressed in the ball joint. Oh well, live and learn.

Tools Required:
Ball Joint Press
7/8" Socket
24mm Socket
21mm Socket
18mm Socket
15mm Socket
Lug Nut Socket
1/2" Large Drive Ratchet, Breaker-bar, Impact gun, or equivalent.
Snap Ring Pliers
Flat Head Screwdriver
Beer

Parts Required:
Replacement Ball Joint w/ Boot
Replacement Pinch Bolt (DO NOT reuse old bolt)
Grease Gun w/ Grease

Remove Lower Control Arms:
Follow the first 5 steps of uncommon©'s LCA Bushing install How-To for removing the Lower Control Arms. Pictures are located in his thread How-To: Install Solid LCA Bushings

Step 1: Jack up the car & use jack stands. Then remove the wheels.
Step 2: Remove the bolt that holds in the VERTICAL BUSHING using a 24mm socket
Step 3: Remove the bolt that holds in the HORIZONTAL BUSHING using a 21mm socket
Step 4: Remove the bolt & nut for the ball joint (where it connects to the knuckle) using an 18mm socket for the nut and a 15mm on the bolt. After removing this bolt the LCA will no longer be bolted to the car and should be removed.

Remove Ball Joints:
Step 1: Open Beer (Repeat as necessary)

Step 2: Remove worn ball joint boot using the end of the flat head screwdriver

Step 3: Clean off ball joint surface with a shop towel.

Step 4: Assemble ball joint press pushing the ball joint down through the LCA (If you do it the wrong way, it wont budge...don't ask me how I know...)

Step 5: Once assembled use your 7/8" socket and 1/2" drive ratchet/breaker-bar/impact to tighten the press down on the ball joint

Step 6: Continue to tighten, the ball joint will begin to slide out of the LCA

Step 7: Once the ball joint is free, it'll all probably fall the to the floor...like so.

Step 8: Admire the old ball joint.

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ball Joint Install:
Step 1. Locate new ball joint.
MOOG PN K7147

or Mopar PN 04656010AE and 04656464AA

Note: The MOOG ball joints come with the boot, ball joint, and pinch bolt. They also have a grease fitting so that the ball joint may be regreased later. The Mopar ball joint, boot, and pinch bolt must all be ordered separately. I do not know the PN for the pinch bolt. I happened to have both parts here, but will be continuing this How-To using the MOOG ball joints. I will also continue assembling the ball joint with the LCA installed into the vehicle. Follow the above mentioned How To for instructions to reinstall the LCA.

Step 2. Install the ball joint from the underside of the LCA

Step 3. Assemble the press so that it pushes the ball joint up through the opening in the LCA. My particular press' plates are slightly different so make sure you put the correct one on each side.

Note: After installing the press as show above, I noticed it would be easier to get my impact gun on it if I flipped it upside down. Your mileage may vary.

Step 4. Tighten press using impact gun, 1/2" ratchet, or breaker bar

Step 5. Continue to tighten the press and make sure the ball joint installs straight and completely into the arm

Step 6. Install included snap ring using snap ring pliers.

Step 7. Using an adjustable wrench, rotate the ball joint so that the notch cut out is parallel with the vehicle and will line up with the bolt hole in the knuckle

Step 8. Install knuckle, and new pinch bolt and nut. Torque to 70 ft/lbs.

Step 9. Install grease fitting, taking care not to over tighten, and pump ball joint with your favorite grease.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
how much were the moogs and where did u purchase them?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Sob I broke my wratchet pressing the new one in, only have like 2mm to go. Looks like it's time to get a beefy 1/2 one:/

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
guys do ur self a favor, and get a impact wrench and a good size compressor!..it will always come in handy as much as us guys work on our cars..

·
Registered
237 Posts
About how long did it take to do this from start to finish? Might be needing to do this soon.

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About how long did it take to do this from start to finish? Might be needing to do this soon.
not that long, honestly. With the LCAs off the car it was pretty quick.

guys do ur self a favor, and get a impact wrench and a good size compressor!..it will always come in handy as much as us guys work on our cars..
i actually have one, but it was getting late and my compressor is pretty loud.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
how do you reinstall the LCA? i cant get the vertical or horizontal hole back in place because of the springs pusing down on the spindle.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
so i completed this yesterday... drove it today, 20 miles later the hub came off of the ball joint. bolt was torqued correctly to specs. 2k in repairs now...

i wish i could tell you where i went wrong but i dont see how it came off the ball joint.

·
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i completed this yesterday... drove it today, 20 miles later the hub came off of the ball joint. bolt was torqued correctly to specs. 2k in repairs now...

i wish i could tell you where i went wrong but i dont see how it came off the ball joint.
:wah?!:

holy shit.

edit: you didn't re-use that bolt, did you?

·
Registered
578 Posts
man this is exactly what i needed! my lca clunks when goin over unevn surfaces(driveways etc) i thought id have to replace whole arm. man thanx for this!

·
Registered
578 Posts
1 - 20 of 54 Posts