Dodge SRT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I was wondering how to open them up. Great sticky.

One of mine is cracked and gathering so much water that I could have some fish in there. :stab:

·
Forum Moderator
5,230 Posts
doing this now, Passenger side came apart like butter. Drivers side seems like it has more sealant/adhesive. I am however using a small baby size spoon as it seems to work much better than a butter knife. Also did the stock fogs which were a piece of cake.

·
Registered
828 Posts
anyone know where one would get this "nissan sealant" can i get this or something like it at a local auto parts store?

·
Registered
828 Posts
i put my over on 250 degrees and stuck it in for 15 mins and nothing so i keep sticking it back in for 5 min intervals just like it says and nothing is working i have put it back in the oven 4 times now!! i dont think its going to work huh?

·
Registered
828 Posts
some one does but im doing it just like he says! iv put it in the oven 5 itmes now and i pry in the corner where the turn signal bulb is and it is not budging at all! im about to just cut it lol

·
2011 Calendar Car, SRT of the Month
17,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Push a flathead screwdriver or small pry bar as deep as you can in between the clear lens and the black housing and then pry towards the outside, against the black edge, trying to catch the inside edge of the clear lens.

What color is the sealant on the lamps? Gray or black?

·
Registered
828 Posts
thanks wiggy, i tried everything and it would not budge at all! it was black sealant. i tried butter knife, small screwdriver, big screwdriver, 2 screwdrivers lol i just ended out cutting it. the lens was in the over so much even at 250* is started to crack me lens

·
17,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Damn! I know some of the non-Depo aftermarket oem-style lamps are really tough. I can't remember the specific brand, but there's one that's nearly impossible to crack open.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i have stock ones and i couldnt even get the screwdriver through the glue they use. it was still to hard! lol

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month, 2011 Calendar C
8,393 Posts
thanks wiggy, i tried everything and it would not budge at all! it was black sealant. i tried butter knife, small screwdriver, big screwdriver, 2 screwdrivers lol i just ended out cutting it. the lens was in the over so much even at 250* is started to crack me lens
The cracking is why I'll never do a stock set again. :stab: Happened to my SXT's retros.

·
17,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, the stock lamps aren't worth the effort IMO. Depos come apart with so little work that it makes it totally worth it to just splurge on a set if you're trying to do a retro.

·
Registered
828 Posts
how much are depos? where can i get a good set of depos? my stockers came out really good after cutting it and it is sealed nice and tight no water seapage after 2 rain storms and a car wash! :) lol

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
i didnt have any issues with my stock headlights... the first one took me a few minutes. had to figure out the best place to pry the butter knife, I literally got the second headlight apart in less than 1min after I had baked it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Depos on Modern Performance, black housings on Ebay.
if mine ever leak or i get tired of the look now i know where to go! thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Yeah, the stock lamps aren't worth the effort IMO. Depos come apart with so little work that it makes it totally worth it to just splurge on a set if you're trying to do a retro.
PLUS (even DOUBLEPLUS): the mountings for the reflector bowl are different. You cannot use the stock plastic pieces for a professional retrofit with that mounting plate and actual bi-xenon lenses!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts