Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on a problem with my oil pressure switch I saw this where my right half shaft meets up with my intermidiate shaft. I don't know how long its been this way nor does it appear to currently affect driving. I'm guessing it is some sort of Oring seal. Has this happened to anyone else? How expensive is it to fix? or how hard is it to fix myself? I'm an 03 with 27K miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would prolly take the axle off to inspect it, then squish it back in there.

If you need an engine oil pressure switch harness let me know.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RUDEF2 said:
I would prolly take the axle off to inspect it, then squish it back in there.

If you need an engine oil pressure switch harness let me know.
Thanks for the response. Since I got in there and wiggled it around (oil pressure switch) it seems to be acting normal now. I'm now more concerned with the half shaft or inter. shaft splines going bad. How long does it take to remove those items with hand tools? And if my spline are okay, where do I get an O ring to put back in? Does the dealer sell an O ring kit?

If anyone that can answer my questions your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
it's nothing... it's all dry behind that spline gear, just a solid wall.. i think the only purpose of that o-ring is so water and dirt dont go into the splines and rust it up...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04TurboSRT said:
it's nothing... it's all dry behind that spline gear, just a solid wall.. i think the only purpose of that o-ring is so water and dirt dont go into the splines and rust it up...
Thanks for responding 04TurboSRT. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I do occasionally get caught in the rain. Probably not a bad idea to replace that O ring sometime soon. How hard is it to replace that O ring? Do they sell them as kit at the dealer, or is it generic enough to pickup at NAPA?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
you have to pull the axle to get to it, not really worth the time & labor imho.. but it's up to you. any same size o-ring will do..

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
04TurboSRT said:
you have to pull the axle to get to it, not really worth the time & labor imho.. but it's up to you. any same size o-ring will do..
Somebody noted on another forum that I may be able to take it to the dealer since I have an 03, and they may take care of it at no cost (7/70,000). Since I don't have an impact wrench, it might be worth it for me. I may pick up a wrench sometime if they end up not covering it.

Offtopic: 04TurboSRT, how do you like your Extrudahone mani? What kind of improvement did you notice? and how much did it cost if you mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jattsrt4 said:
what kind of springs/coilover do you have.
They were on the car when I bought it, but I think they are Eibach Prolines on stock struts. Over 23k miles with no problems. Also have Hotchkis sways and Pwerks rear tower brace. The set up works pretty good for me.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
haha i was adjusting my traction bars yesterday and noticed the same o-ring was hanging out... no biggie though, that oring does not serve any real purpose but prevent moisture from rusting the splines stuck... i will probably snap the axle before it gets a chance to rust frozen anyway :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts