Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a few SRT4s for around $3,500 (they are all $8,000+ around me.) But one I found has 90k and said it only needs vacuum hoses. I understand $3,500 is extremely cheap, and I could use that money to throw in money for parts and fixing it.

Long story short, how much should I expect to pay for maintenance? I know the 3rd gear problem, and clutch and sunroof. All those goodies. At this time it would not be my daily so I won't need to worry about not having a car, I am just curious how much I should expect to pay for maintenance ?

·
Premium Member
6,825 Posts
Really depends on a few things.
  • How bad the car is to begin with.
  • Shops in your area that you can trust to do work that you cannot do yourself.
  • How much OCD you have on where you want to end up with.
  • How much power you want to end up with, as the surrounding support parts and modifications necessary to make it somewhat reliable.
  • Used or New parts availability and your preference.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
For a car that cheap and not operating 100% I'd plan for the worst. Basic maintenance isn't your biggest concern at this point. Finding out what is really wrong with the car and making it whole is what you should budget for.

My car had a "bad wrist pin". I bought it rather cheap and ended up rebuilding the entire engine which I had planned for.

Again plan for the worst and there will be no surprises and you end up high and dry with a car that sits there not running.

If you are not financially stable or not mechanically inclined I'd caution getting a cheap SRT as there are usually expensive problems hidden beneath that cheap price tag.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have found a few SRT4s for around $3,500 (they are all $8,000+ around me.) But one I found has 90k and said it only needs vacuum hoses. I understand $3,500 is extremely cheap, and I could use that money to throw in money for parts and fixing it.

Long story short, how much should I expect to pay for maintenance? I know the 3rd gear problem, and clutch and sunroof. All those goodies. At this time it would not be my daily so I won't need to worry about not having a car, I am just curious how much I should expect to pay for maintenance ?
Don't believe a word they say until you check the car out. I bought 12 feet of vac line for $23 dollars. You mean to tell me these lazy bastards couldn't replace them before listing it for sale? At $3500 you may be paying for someone else's problem child or a salvage title. Not all salvage titles are created equal but the value of the car is decreased 30+ percent. If you want one as a daily it would benefit you not to buy one that needs repairs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine was unmolsted, just somewhat neglected other than regular fluid changes and brakes. At roughly 90k miles, here's what you can expect if nothing has been touched:

Blueberry Skittle Note Log | Fuelly

@90,908 Coilovers, Oil Pressure switch, oil cooler hose, parking brake shoes. Prior owner recent work: knock sensor, cam/crank sensors, pads & rotors, all fluids.

@90,918 Gates Racing Timing belt, water pump, idler puller, tensioner pulley, cam seals, crank seal, PS/AC serpentine belt & tensioner, cleaned intercooler sprayer, new sun visor clip. Installed new treated rear crash bar (old one had rust).

@93,250 Oil & Filter (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w30) +Oil pan & cooler gaskets +New Balance Shaft chain tensioner guides +Engine mount poly inserts +ETS Charge Pipe +Shorty antenna

@93,900 New steering gear +New Lower Control Arms +New Tie Rods +Power Steering Fluid +Alignment +Painted Calipers +Restored/Painted K frame

I'm doing heater core this weekend, and new clutch, pivot, fork, slave cylinder in the next few months.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
complicated question, if you do the work it will cost ~10-20% of what a shop charges

my wife's car was cheap because of issues, trans problems were simple -- clutch pivot ($25), engine more complicated -- rings and rod bearings ($300) with my labor.. its a basic fun driver.. at a shop probably a new trans, $2k and engine rebuild $4k

my car, original owner, has been 10x that it and is lots more fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts