Dodge SRT Forum banner
121 - 140 of 209 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,418 Posts
I'm really concerned about what will happen when our cars approach 30, and 40 years old. The muscle car era benefits from heavy vinyl and metal, and any plastic'ish bits are also heavy and thick, plus there are so many aftermarket suppliers to replace almost anything you could think of on a 68 mustang, a 69 charger, or a 69 camaro.

I don't trust that there will be much out there in 2045 to replace parts on an 05' SRT-4 :(

I'm very thankful that the plastic (especially engine bits like hoses and connectors) is miles ahead of the late 80's early 90's cars. Vacuum hoses on those things just disintegrated after about 8-10 years.

Last year I was trying to get a part out for a buddy off of an old shadow we had, it even sat in the shade at our farm for the last 20 years, albeit outside, and the electronic plug in broke into minuscule pieces when I tried to push on it to separate it, this obviously under the dash, where you can't really blame UV light.

I just hold onto faith that the plastic in the SRT4 is a lot better, and somehow maintains... fingers crossed?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I'm really concerned about what will happen when our cars approach 30, and 40 years old. The muscle car era benefits from heavy vinyl and metal, and any plastic'ish bits are also heavy and thick, plus there are so many aftermarket suppliers to replace almost anything you could think of on a 68 mustang, a 69 charger, or a 69 camaro.

I don't trust that there will be much out there in 2045 to replace parts on an 05' SRT-4 :(

I'm very thankful that the plastic (especially engine bits like hoses and connectors) is miles ahead of the late 80's early 90's cars. Vacuum hoses on those things just disintegrated after about 8-10 years.

Last year I was trying to get a part out for a buddy off of an old shadow we had, it even sat in the shade at our farm for the last 20 years, albeit outside, and the electronic plug in broke into minuscule pieces when I tried to push on it to separate it, this obviously under the dash, where you can't really blame UV light.

I just hold onto faith that the plastic in the SRT4 is a lot better, and somehow maintains... fingers crossed?

Exactly. Those little red locking tabs on various plugs (PCM, Injectors) all failed on my car and there are others lying in wait (NVLD, Coil Pack electrical plug for starters). But I'm a creative fellow, for example, these PCM plugs ain't goin' nowhere:
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Like all plastics they are designed to degrade in the environment. Someone will eventually start making parts for the cars, im sure they will be 3d printed. lol.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Exactly. Those little red locking tabs on various plugs (PCM, Injectors) all failed on my car and there are others lying in wait (NVLD, Coil Pack electrical plug for starters). But I'm a creative fellow, for example, these PCM plugs ain't goin' nowhere:
View attachment 148766
you can buy new connectors.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes, I know.
I bought new injector connectors from Modern Performance. An easy swap.
But the PCM connector plugs would be difficult to replace - all those wires!
So the PCM connector strap I devised (pictured about) was a good workaround and still is.
oh yes.. lotsa wires, but the connector bodies are available

·
Registered
5 Posts
Figured I would post on this, since I still have mine after 19 years this month. I bought this car with 3 miles on it Feb of 2003. When saw the prototype at the LA auto show in 89, I said if released I had to buy one as a fun car.
Since my fun vehicle before this was a 94 dakota that I build to Open track, I had to see where this car stood on the track. Suffice it is to say, it needed some help in the suspension dept.
Slowly by surely I built and designed some suspension parts to help it out. I will be thw first one to admit, it just kept going beyond what I had planned for it. Lol!!
I did run it in NASA, SCCA, and VRL and viper days.
I eventually worked on the aero, brakes, and last finally added some power mods. FM E2, rebuilt with bullet wheel, and much better seals, elbow mod, and other power mods.
When I decided to get back in the Army, in 2008, it has been sitting A LOT since then. But now, she is all good and driving again!! After basically sitting for over 6 years, I am happy as hell to have this drivable again!!!
The car has 25,110 miles on as it sits. Aside from the bolt on, engine never been apart. Trans never been apart, and might not believe me, it still has the stock clutch!!!
Have to admit, been many time thinking of selling, but never did. After 19 years, its never going anywhere!! As you can see in the pics, I have put A LOT of time in this car..

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Figured I would post on this, since I still have mine after 19 years this month. I bought this car with 3 miles on it Feb of 2003. When saw the prototype at the LA auto show in 89, I said if released I had to buy one as a fun car.
Since my fun vehicle before this was a 94 dakota that I build to Open track, I had to see where this car stood on the track. Suffice it is to say, it needed some help in the suspension dept.
Slowly by surely I built and designed some suspension parts to help it out. I will be thw first one to admit, it just kept going beyond what I had planned for it. Lol!!
I did run it in NASA, SCCA, and VRL and viper days.
I eventually worked on the aero, brakes, and last finally added some power mods. FM E2, rebuilt with bullet wheel, and much better seals, elbow mod, and other power mods.
When I decided to get back in the Army, in 2008, it has been sitting A LOT since then. But now, she is all good and driving again!! After basically sitting for over 6 years, I am happy as hell to have this drivable again!!!
The car has 25,110 miles on as it sits. Aside from the bolt on, engine never been apart. Trans never been apart, and might not believe me, it still has the stock clutch!!!
Have to admit, been many time thinking of selling, but never did. After 19 years, its never going anywhere!! As you can see in the pics, I have put A LOT of time in this car..
Hey Manny, nice pictures and thanks for updating your story after such a long time.
I still have my 2003 Yellow in Rio Vista and she still runs great, especially on long trips like Yellowstone.
Good to hear from you again.
Cheers!
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Nice srt. Those are some low miles. What did you have to do after six years to get it running? Did you drain the gas before hand? I'm assuming it was kept in a garage. Are you on the original timing belt from 2003?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice srt. Those are some low miles. What did you have to do after six years to get it running? Did you drain the gas before hand? I'm assuming it was kept in a garage. Are you on the original timing belt from 2003?
When I knew I was going to sit a lot, I filled up the tank, put it on jack stands, and had my daughter that know how to drive a manual, fire it up.once a week. Got back into the Army in 2007, and deployed back to back a few times, and a top on the training involved, that is why it sat for a while. YES for sure it was, and has been garage kept for the better part of ownership. Yes still on factory timing belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Manny, nice pictures and thanks for updating your story after such a long time.
I still have my 2003 Yellow in Rio Vista and she still runs great, especially on long trips like Yellowstone.
Good to hear from you again.
Cheers!
View attachment 148794
Stark!!!! You live up in Rio Vista now??!! Glad to see that you still have your car also. I think we are consider even more rare then the car now, knowing we are thw original owners!! Hahaa. If the weather stays decent, we should get a get together going!!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Stark!!!! You live up in Rio Vista now??!! Glad to see that you still have your car also. I think we are consider even more rare then the car now, knowing we are thw original owners!! Hahaa. If the weather stays decent, we should get a get together going!!
Manny, yep, I live in Trilogy RIo Vista. It's pretty cool. I a dinasaur now but still very active and enjoy driving my SRT-4 on the country backroads around here where there is no traffic and beautiful countryside, especially now after the rains. I would love to attend a meet with all the peeps who used to gather in large numbers back in the day. I know Michael Santiago is still as huge a fan as ever (he has a custom crankshaft post on Facebook and is talking about upgrading his SRT-4 from 900 HP to 1300HP which is astonishing! Most of the guys like Ken Andresen and Reed and others are all on Facebook these days. I also know Blazin is still around too. The last meet I went to was at Shadow Cliffs in 2018 or so, but it was very small and I felt more awkward than I usually do. Anyway, if someone puts on a meet I will attend no sweat.

ps thank you for your service.

121 - 140 of 209 Posts