Dodge SRT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
It is shiny. Do you keep it in a garage?
No, my CSXes are in the garage. That pic was right after I fixed the damage from the wreck in 2016, although it looks basically the same now. I spent enough with the body shop that I get it detailed and waxed by them twice a year free. :-/

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I installed S2 as soon as it was available, and it's been there all these years. Rock solid. I am currently running a stock PCM calibrated for the other S2 components, though, because of the cruise control. One of these days I'm going to have Neil program my S2 PCM for cruise. I'd love to have the toys features back.
The original clutch lasted a long time, about 130K miles. I replaced it with another stocker, which lasted about 75K. I'm on my 3rd stock clutch now.
3rd timing belt. I think the first was replaced somewhere south of 100K by the dealer, when I was having them replace cam seals that were leaking a bit. 3 years ago I banged it up pretty good on an icy bridge. No engine damage, but quite a bit of front end damage. I fixed it all, though, and took the opportunity to put on the modified manifold and BWS turbo and install the cruise while I had the engine out. I replaced the timing belt again then. It was just under 190K, if I remember right.
The head and oil pan were never off until 2 years ago. I was getting a little smoke then which I thought was probably the rings, so I had the rings, seals, and gaskets replaced. But after all that, it turned out the real culprit for the smoke was the BWS. :( I replaced it with a different, better one, and it's been fine ever since.
I'm on the 3rd or 4th cam sensor, of course. Seems to be a weak link with the 2.4L. Headgasket is stock. I used to have an ED Beast intercooler, but stock is on there now. After wrecking it, I wanted the bumper back.
All-in-all, this is a great little car if you take care of it. I don't baby it, but I take reasonably good care of it, and it's still a lot of fun to drive. It's never had anything but synthetic 0W-40 oil, except I ran 15W-50 back when I drove it on a road course some. Years ago I tried a few trans fluids, but nothing has been as good as the stock Mopar ATF.
Wow very impressive thanks for sharing. Sucks about the smoke issue being the turbo. Crazy you replaced the rings and re-used the stock headgasket. I actually had a white smoke issue and I took the hotside of the turbo off and it had a lot of oil. A seal went out. Got the turbo rebuilt and installed it myself along with a new log manifold and 02 housing from AGP. $$$.
Are you still running the BS chain? I am running the Royal Purple Synchromax in my trans. Debate going to stock Mopar ATF. Glad you haven't had any internal transmission issues. I am running 5w-40. I was running 0w-40 but I thought the 5w-40 would help with heat on a a big turbo car. Probably go back to 0w-40 or even 5w-30 when I change it next.

I run Mobil 0w-40 as well. Great oil for the price. I've got a timing belt coming. Only 30k on it but I installed it in 2012 with some of those being track miles.
I am still on my original timing belt. Car only has 21k miles though. Yes it is almost 15 years old. But the car has been garaged its entire life and has never been in a dry state. After replacing the timing belt on a 2003 Neon SRT-4 I had about 5 years ago with 120k and seeing the belt looked great...I think they hold up pretty well. I will probably have it replaced this year though for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Crazy you replaced the rings and re-used the stock headgasket....
Are you still running the BS chain?...
Glad you haven't had any internal transmission issues.
I didn't mean I re-used it, just that it was replaced with a stock one.
Yes, still have the balance shafts and chain.
I had a shift fork replaced under warranty at about 65K miles because of the 3rd-gear pop-out issue. I have the pop-out issue again now, mainly if I try to downshift into 3rd while turning slightly, like on an off-ramp. In those situations I just be careful to make sure it's in gear before letting out the clutch. I looked at the forks, synchros, and gears when the new clutch went in last year, and everything looked pretty good, to be honest. With all the years of experience we have with these now, it seems pretty apparent the pop-out issue is a design flaw. It's not too bad, and I can live with it as it is.

Edit...BTW, I was going to mention, one of the most tedious and nerve-wracking things I've ever done was re-wire the PDC (fusebox) after the wreck. The old box shattered, so I had to move every wire one at a time from that box to one from a Neon I bought for parts. I was fairly astonished that everything worked after that. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Wow very impressive thanks for sharing. Sucks about the smoke issue being the turbo. Crazy you replaced the rings and re-used the stock headgasket. I actually had a white smoke issue and I took the hotside of the turbo off and it had a lot of oil. A seal went out. Got the turbo rebuilt and installed it myself along with a new log manifold and 02 housing from AGP. $$$.
Are you still running the BS chain? I am running the Royal Purple Synchromax in my trans. Debate going to stock Mopar ATF. Glad you haven't had any internal transmission issues. I am running 5w-40. I was running 0w-40 but I thought the 5w-40 would help with heat on a a big turbo car. Probably go back to 0w-40 or even 5w-30 when I change it next.

I am still on my original timing belt. Car only has 21k miles though. Yes it is almost 15 years old. But the car has been garaged its entire life and has never been in a dry state. After replacing the timing belt on a 2003 Neon SRT-4 I had about 5 years ago with 120k and seeing the belt looked great...I think they hold up pretty well. I will probably have it replaced this year though for peace of mind.
That's amazing. It is a good idea to change that belt. I suppose even if it looks good it can still break. Are you going to change anything besides the belt? I'm going to change my water pump.The seals no. I might do the engine mount. I have 89k.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They sold about 23000. I used to see a bunch back in the day. Not so much anymore. For those srts still functioning, what is the age group of the current drivers? I'm on the older side. I figure young people are more concerned about the latest phone instead of keeping a 15 year old car on the road. Your thoughts.
They sold about 23000. I used to see a bunch back in the day. Not so much anymore. For those srts still functioning, what is the age group of the current drivers? I'm on the older side. I figure young people are more concerned about the latest phone instead of keeping a 15 year old car on the road. Your thoughts.
I hear you. I am 66 and I have had one since my wife bought it for me for my 50th birthday. I have over 250+ runs down the drag strip and over 22 SCCA events. Mine is black, Stage II and runs like a top. Still looks like new except for some minor chipping from all the runs. Store it every winter and drive it during the summers. Also have an immaculate Neon R/T 4 door with a Hahn Racecraft Stage II turbo. Too bad so many of the younger generation does not like to work on automotive or aviation vehicles the way we did.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Ive read that the BS assembly can be a ticking time bomb. The guides themselves. Mine were cracked and ready to take the motor out at 154k.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Too bad so many of the younger generation does not like to work on automotive or aviation vehicles the way we did.
I think that last bit about the younger generation is largely false. I'm 25 and love working on vehicles of any sort. I've got plenty of friends too who always want to wrench, we also see plenty of young guys at racing and drag events. Attended Woodward dream cruise this past year and there were plenty of people, young and old sharing knowledge and stories, great event. But anecdotal evidence and personal experience will always shape opinions. Anyways! I've got a few projects, most notably my 03 srt4 with 31k original miles and my 87 GTI turbo build among a few other rustier projects. As far as the srt, I'm prepping fuel system, engine mounts, suspension and trans etc, for turbo upgrades down the line and excited to see what the future brings. Cheers to everyone with srts still on the road.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I think that last bit about the younger generation is largely false. I'm 25 and love working on vehicles of any sort. I've got plenty of friends too who always want to wrench, we also see plenty of young guys at racing and drag events. Attended Woodward dream cruise this past year and there were plenty of people, young and old sharing knowledge and stories, great event. But anecdotal evidence and personal experience will always shape opinions. Anyways! I've got a few projects, most notably my 03 srt4 with 31k original miles and my 87 GTI turbo build among a few other rustier projects. As far as the srt, I'm prepping fuel system, engine mounts, suspension and trans etc, for turbo upgrades down the line and excited to see what the future brings. Cheers to everyone with srts still on the road. View attachment 144763
Nice ride

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think that last bit about the younger generation is largely false. I'm 25 and love working on vehicles of any sort. I've got plenty of friends too who always want to wrench, we also see plenty of young guys at racing and drag events. Attended Woodward dream cruise this past year and there were plenty of people, young and old sharing knowledge and stories, great event. But anecdotal evidence and personal experience will always shape opinions. Anyways! I've got a few projects, most notably my 03 srt4 with 31k original miles and my 87 GTI turbo build among a few other rustier projects. As far as the srt, I'm prepping fuel system, engine mounts, suspension and trans etc, for turbo upgrades down the line and excited to see what the future brings. Cheers to everyone with srts still on the road. View attachment 144763
On the whole, I don't think the new generation likes to work with their hands, and most likely have never been shown how to.

In our area there has been a deemphasis in trade education and an increase in college preparation. Ignoring the fact that things are always in need of someone who can fix whats made

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
On the whole, I don't think the new generation likes to work with their hands, and most likely have never been shown how to.

In our area there has been a deemphasis in trade education and an increase in college preparation. Ignoring the fact that things are always in need of someone who can fix whats made

I definitely have a problem with the trade vs college issue. I attended a trade program through highschool and it got me quite far in my field thus far. But I have many friends who went the college route struggle to find jobs, and indeed are the same ones who have never learned to work with their hands. Also can't fix anything worth a damn. I do see that side of it, and it's unfortunate. Hell ya can't even find a plumber or even engine builder these days who's not slammed with work year round.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I definitely have a problem with the trade vs college issue. I attended a trade program through highschool and it got me quite far in my field thus far. But I have many friends who went the college route struggle to find jobs, and indeed are the same ones who have never learned to work with their hands. Also can't fix anything worth a damn. I do see that side of it, and it's unfortunate. Hell ya can't even find a plumber or even engine builder these days who's not slammed with work year round.
Very true. The problem with an affluent society is the younger generation don't have to use their hands to get by. I worked on my cars in my younger days not because I couldn't wait to work on my 68 fiat 124 but because I was poor and couldn't afford to take it to a mechanic. So I learned out of necessity.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Still rollin' along with 120K miles on Stage 3 + Toys and 127k on the rest of the car.
Still runs perfectly with more power and handling than I deserve.
Can't ask for any more fun than that!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very true. The problem with an affluent society is the younger generation don't have to use their hands to get by. I worked on my cars in my younger days not because I couldn't wait to work on my 68 fiat 124 but because I was poor and couldn't afford to take it to a mechanic. So I learned out of necessity.
I think thats useful. Understanding the way things work is a skill that enhances troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think that last bit about the younger generation is largely false.
Every generation does that, yours will also. Just remember - "The more things change the more they remain the same". Plutarch tells us that Socrates said:
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers"

On the other hand internal combustion engines are no longer the king of the boulevard, electric wins no matter what. This is a style thing now but that's OK, hobbies are supposed to be fun.

·
Super Moderator
15,654 Posts
Screw electric... give me my catless turbo, I don't care if the tesla is faster than my car, the tesla has no heart, no soul.

I love the smell of high octane exhaust in the morning.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Screw electric... give me my catless turbo, I don't care if the tesla is faster than my car, the tesla has no heart, no soul.

I love the smell of high octane exhaust in the morning.
Agreed.
Nothing like the overrun of an open exhaust, especially when the motor has large overlap.
Like a BSA Gold Star (1960's single cylinder 500cc motorcycle) when snapping the throttle closed from red line.
And ahhhh, that characteristic smell of burning Castor oil, so often used by vintage motorcycles, combined with the exhaust overrun is sheer perfection to my ears.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts