Dodge SRT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice car. Did you have to do any maintenance on it after you purchased it?
Thanks! And yes I did. I actually was quickly greeted with having to change a passenger side cv Axel and wheel bearing. Kinda threw me into the ocean right away lol! But it really helped me learn the car better. After that I did a couple of oil changes to get it where I wanted, one step colder NGK iridium plugs, thicker plug wires and fresh transmission fluid. Runs amazing and I'm going to keep it that way.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks! And yes I did. I actually was quickly greeted with having to change a passenger side cv Axel and wheel bearing. Kinda threw me into the ocean right away lol! But it really helped me learn the car better. After that I did a couple of oil changes to get it where I wanted, one step colder NGK iridium plugs, thicker plug wires and fresh transmission fluid. Runs amazing and I'm going to keep it that way.
I'm assuming the previous owner did the timing belt at 105k

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes along with a slew of the existing mods. Got a book of receipts of what has been done. I've double checked and it's all been done right. Love this car. Its a keeper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 450hp one that is pretty reliable and is super fun, they’re so cheap now that I couldn’t understand why someone wouldn’t want one. In regards to the age group of owners for these cars, im 17 and daily it to high school. Everyone always wants me to two step in the lot lol. Srt’s are such a good car and it makes me wonder why people go with civics over these.
Yeah I'm also in highschool and I drive one there daily which is also built. There pretty reliable and deserve much more than what people think of them

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm an original owner. Bought mine in January of 2003 and have logged 195k miles on it.

I am preparing to install the last full factory Stage 2 kit on it and it desperately needs a new paint job; the SoCal sun made short work of Dodge's clear coat. It's still a daily driver but I'm planning on turning it into a garage queen.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm an original owner. Bought mine in January of 2003 and have logged 195k miles on it.

I am preparing to install the last full factory Stage 2 kit on it and it desperately needs a new paint job; the SoCal sun made short work of Dodge's clear coat. It's still a daily driver but I'm planning on turning it into a garage queen.
Are you going to have it painted?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I'm also in highschool and I drive one there daily which is also built. There pretty reliable and deserve much more than what people think of them

I definitely agree with you on this man. They will be reliable as hell if you do your maintenance and if you dog it replace with the appropriate rated horsepower part upgrades and you'll be good to go. I love mine and will garage queen it some day soon. As of right now it's my fun as hell daily lol!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I still have my original 03 and a 05 ACR

Reactions: bzzt

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Cool. How reliable have they been? Low miles?
Very reliable cars if you take care of them, I never had a car this long in my life and I had a few at 64

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Congrats! The low mileage, clean ones are hard to come by. Always wanted a stone white when I first laid my eyes on a stone white SRT-4 with the ACR add on in late 2005 that was on the show room floor. They were asking like $25k for it. So when I came across a used 05 stripper in Ohio 2 years ago and it had only 14,6XX miles on it. I had to have it. I had to change a lot of things on it to make it mine though! Fun car to tinker with. Yes they piss me off at times. But its a feeling of satisfaction when you figure out a problem and fix it yourself. Its a love hate relationship with these cars. And seeing how so many are still getting wrecked and even parted out for the stupidest things it makes me value mine even more.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm 53 and bought my '04 new with 2 miles on it in September '03. It's been daily driven ever since. Stage 2 w/toys, BWS turbo, custom manifold and exhaust, suspension upgrades, factory Neon cruise added. In 2011 it hit 111,111 miles, and last week 222,222. Will I make it to 333,333 do you think? :)

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I'm 53 and bought my '04 new with 2 miles on it in September '03. It's been daily driven ever since. Stage 2 w/toys, BWS turbo, custom manifold and exhaust, suspension upgrades, factory Neon cruise added. In 2011 it hit 111,111 miles, and last week 222,222. Will I make it to 333,333 do you think? :)

View attachment 144742
View attachment 144743
Yes Yes Yes! ?
I've only had my '04 since 2011 & 108k miles but have driven it daily since then. It has such a good feel to it, especially after all these years...

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
that is really rad! 222222 is an awesome milestone! Glad you held onto it!
Our of curiosity. Are you on your 2nd or 3rd timing belt setup? How many clutches have been replaced? Headgasket stock? Any major services or problems you had to do over the years?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
that is really rad! 222222 is an awesome milestone! Glad you held onto it!
Our of curiosity. Are you on your 2nd or 3rd timing belt setup? How many clutches have been replaced? Headgasket stock? Any major services or problems you had to do over the years?
I installed S2 as soon as it was available, and it's been there all these years. Rock solid. I am currently running a stock PCM calibrated for the other S2 components, though, because of the cruise control. One of these days I'm going to have Neil program my S2 PCM for cruise. I'd love to have the toys features back.
The original clutch lasted a long time, about 130K miles. I replaced it with another stocker, which lasted about 75K. I'm on my 3rd stock clutch now.
3rd timing belt. I think the first was replaced somewhere south of 100K by the dealer, when I was having them replace cam seals that were leaking a bit. 3 years ago I banged it up pretty good on an icy bridge. No engine damage, but quite a bit of front end damage. I fixed it all, though, and took the opportunity to put on the modified manifold and BWS turbo and install the cruise while I had the engine out. I replaced the timing belt again then. It was just under 190K, if I remember right.
The head and oil pan were never off until 2 years ago. I was getting a little smoke then which I thought was probably the rings, so I had the rings, seals, and gaskets replaced. But after all that, it turned out the real culprit for the smoke was the BWS. :( I replaced it with a different, better one, and it's been fine ever since.
I'm on the 3rd or 4th cam sensor, of course. Seems to be a weak link with the 2.4L. Headgasket is stock. I used to have an ED Beast intercooler, but stock is on there now. After wrecking it, I wanted the bumper back.
All-in-all, this is a great little car if you take care of it. I don't baby it, but I take reasonably good care of it, and it's still a lot of fun to drive. It's never had anything but synthetic 0W-40 oil, except I ran 15W-50 back when I drove it on a road course some. Years ago I tried a few trans fluids, but nothing has been as good as the stock Mopar ATF.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I run Mobil 0w-40 as well. Great oil for the price. I've got a timing belt coming. Only 30k on it but I installed it in 2012 with some of those being track miles.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

View attachment 144742
View attachment 144743
It is shiny. Do you keep it in a garage?

41 - 60 of 88 Posts