Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure seems like a lot of other people in here have decided, for one reason or another, to replace their Nissan SE-R Spec V with an SRT-4. If you're one of them like me, what happened and why.

My story is sorta coincidental. Last October my '02 Nissan Spec V was totalled when some old koot in a pickup truck made an illegal turn and t-boned me on my way to work. I was doing about 45mph at the time and he was doing less than 5mph. The Spec V was a lease so all of the insurance money went straight to Nissan. I needed something cheap and fast, of course :eveilgrin , so the SRT-4 was a perfect fit. I still get excited every time I start it up and here the engine come to life.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
03 Vib Blue Spec V to 04 E-blue SRT-4.

I loved my spec v, just craved more power. If nissan would have properly made that car, and put in a decent engine it would be perfect.

That QR25DE was never meant to be a high performance engine. The rest of the car wasn't bad. It seems almost like the Spec V was just an afterthough. Lets shoehorn the Altima base engine into a sentra and call it an SE-R

BUT.... I love my SRT, that engine is amazing, the exaust excites me, its just a bad ass car.

SRT 1
spec v 0.

If the spec would have had the SRT engine, or something similar, I would probably still be driving a spec. but nissan is dumb, and didn't make the car what it could be.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skipdogg said:
03 Vib Blue Spec V to 04 E-blue SRT-4.

I loved my spec v, just craved more power. If nissan would have properly made that car, and put in a decent engine it would be perfect.

That QR25DE was never meant to be a high performance engine. The rest of the car wasn't bad. It seems almost like the Spec V was just an afterthough. Lets shoehorn the Altima base engine into a sentra and call it an SE-R

BUT.... I love my SRT, that engine is amazing, the exaust excites me, its just a bad ass car.

SRT 1
spec v 0.

If the spec would have had the SRT engine, or something similar, I would probably still be driving a spec. but nissan is dumb, and didn't make the car what it could be.
I totally agree. One of the car magazines...can't remember which one right now...but they summed it up pretty accurately when they said you never forget the Spec V is just a small car with a big engine. Nissan always half-asses the American performance market. They've given us the 300ZX and that's really about it IMHO. Seems like they're more interested in selling us Americans cars that look fast but don't neccesarily perform better than the average car.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Spec V

I bought a new one in December 2001 I think. It was on the showroom floor.
It was silver in color. My wife ended up driving it most of the time. I got to drive the old chevy wagon instead. It was ok and fun to drive. Sixth gear was a little tuff to get into gear at times. It had a hard time starting after a while. There was a TSB on cleaning the throttle body to fix the problem. It actually work for me. I did it myself. Allignment problems contantly. Always pulling to the right. All the allignment shops and the dealerships said it was it spec., but always was pulling to the right. They said something about the altima had the same tpye of problem. It did have a stiffer ride than my srt-4.
One time I made a high speed turn and the car went straight. OMG, I ran over a curb and the car was ok.

·
Forum Moderator
13,324 Posts
Same here! 03 Cloud White to 03 Flame Red SRT.

I really did like the car - a lot. I loved the looks and the way the car drove. Had a nice tight suspension and great torquiness to the motor. The only thing that quickly turned me off was the lack of power. And I couldn't even think of spending about $4000 for a turbo kit only to worry about bottom end life. Or going back the nitrous route and having to fill bottles up all the time.

Had I really known about the SRT before I bought the Spec V, I wouldn't have. Actually the only pics I remember seeing at that time of the SRT were the prototype ones (no nostrils and those fugly ass wheels). Funny how those two simple enhancements made all the difference in the world for me. And after browsing these boards I got hooked and the rest is history...

No regrets. ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
YEP SAME HERE. 02 molten silver, tranny sucked nasty grind into 3rd, had the roc. fos. system and it sucked. the 10 inch sub was a joke or was it a 8. I read about the srt before but really never considered it. i though 7.2 sec to 0-60 was damn fast. bout the spec-v and 2 weeks later i was saving for a 5.3 0-60 srt-4. im much happier just need to make it faster now...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
03 silver Spec to 04 blue SRT-4. I didn't have a single problem with my spec. No tranny grinds, nothing. I now also have the SRT-4, also no problems yet (and 8000 km on the odo).

Honestly, the spec rocks. However, I happened to pull up beside a brand new black 04 srt-4 in late spring. It had a mopar bodykit, and I thought the exhaust sounded sweet. After about 4 test drives, and some haggling, I got one 2 months later.

I still have my spec. I'm passively trying to sell it, but I may keep it. The spec has a better interior IMO - lotsa space to put things, 5 way adjustable seats, 9 speaker 1 sub rockford fosgate stereo, power everything (even rear windows ;p ). I was thinking either turbo the spec since they have plenty of 250-290 whp kits out now, or getting the srt-4. I decided on the srt-4 because it was more customizable. Oh, and it has a hellova lot more top end (spec has good low end, but comparably weak top-end).

I thought the features of the spec were too nice to just replace, but they weren't ideal for me... for example it has a great sounding high-quality stereo, but I want and Mp3 hard drive etc. I figured I'd pay for a car that has an engine that can go farther - already being turbo is a big plus - but where everything else is effectively replacable. I wouldn't change anything on the exterior, coz I don't mind the wing as it is, but I'd add leather, change the shift knob, change the stereo, and put a full power window kit in the interior.

The SRT-4 is a more comfortable car to sit in for me. I have a wide back, but I still find the viper seats comfortable. I even did a 7000 km drive in the thing, and found I could stay in those seats up to 14 hours at a time without having to get out and stretch. I can't say that for any other car I've been in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i had an 02 vibrant blue spec v and now an 04 srt4. thats why my screen name is blue v to srt. mine had a bearing go in the trans and it took 6 weeks before I got the car back because they tried to fix it a few times before puting in a new trans. heater controls broke and it took 3 months before the back order ended. Sucked because it was on full heat in the summer. At 14000 miles i traded it in for 12k after paying 17800. it was only a year old
my roomate has an 02 spec molten silver and went though the engine in 2500 miles. The pre cat broke up caused it to burn all the oil and spun a rod bearing.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The spec interior was ok, i liked the seats, but WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE CUP HOLDERS. Seriously, you couldn't put anything bigger than a 12oz can of coke in the spec v cupholders. I had to use the armrest console, or the cheap pull out cupholders in the back seat to hold a drink. The SRT at least has cupholders.
I miss the 2nd powerplug the spec had, but I can get over that really fast.

I miss my spec, but i'm getting over it really quickly :D

For whats its worth I had 20,000 miles on mine and didn't have a single problem at all. No precat issues or anything. And that pull to the right all the time srtworkcar, was the torque steer from the engine. Those unequal halfshafts were killers, you had to bust out the kung-fu grip to avoid a wreck.....

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I had one 2

I had an 02 Aztec Red Spec V with a few mods:
AEM Intake/Hot Shot Header/Stillen Axel Back Exhaust/Eibach Pro Kit/Casper Electronic's o2 Simulator/Knock Sensor Relocation/Polyurethane filled Motor Mounts/Magnaflow Highflow cat

http://www.cardomain.com/id/iblis
Lost it in a car accident, sucked. But the SRT-4 was a great replacement, I couldn't argue with the bang per buck jump.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I had a silver 02. Nothing but problems..in fact out of 20 months of ownership it was in the shop for a combined total of 82 days. Bad ECU took 2 months to come off back order. I bitched and moaned to Nissan. Wrote them a letter telling them I want two months of car payments and an extra hundred for time lost. Sure enough they sent me a check for 700 dollars...can't argue with that. Good company! Ultimately I wanted something with more power. I thought about turboing the spec, but i researched and found the engine internals could'nt handle much boost...so I traded for the SRT.

On a side note: I have a friend who has put about 8 grand into the motor. Turbo, head work, beefed up internals, and that car is quick. I think he is putting down about 260 on 14 lbs of boost.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I had/have a 2004 Sentra NOT THE SPEC but I drove Specs alot. 2 of my friends had them and I drove'em alot. I loved the Spec but before even I bought the Sentra I'd seen the SRT-4 Prototype pics and loved it, but it was just NOT affordable for me. Now, I kept the sentra and got the SRT-4. I do like the Sentra's interior better though but the SRT's power doesn't give me time to think about the interior of the car :D

Overall, Spec: Good LOOKING front end, 6 Speed, Nive Interior, 02s and 03s could be moded to look very better, Fuggly rear, Not a good engine (Specially 02s and some 03s), Not a good Tranny.

·
Forum Moderator
13,324 Posts
I look at it this way...for $750 in mods I was able to propel my SRT to mid 13's on stock tires, full interior.

I don't even think you can get a good header for the Spec for that price and even then you'd probably do low 15's still. :eeeek:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well, to be fair, there are stock specs running in the 14's. They have a really HEAVY flywheel (36 lbs!), and getting a lighter one really helps it in 1st, 2nd, and a bit in 3rd, which is most of the way thru the 1/4.

http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=23046 Has their fastest 1/4 mile times and mod lists. They've started this thread http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=36928 that lists their dyno numbers. 250 whp at 5.5 lbs of boost isn't shabby... but of course, the stock internals don't go very much farther.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I bought my eblue spec v in nov of 2001 as a 2002 model right off of the showroom floor....at the time you couldn't beat the bang for the buck! I ended up modding it with a AEM CAI, hotshot header, UDX undrivepully, custom 2.5" exhaust, JimWolf tech. balance shaft removal kit which really helped the spec v's power, but made the short gearing in 1st and 2nd even worse. wheel hop was just like the srt and I ended up blowing the motor due to a disintergrating cat...pieces got sucked back in and scored the cylinder walls. tranny went, but Nissan warrantyed both even with the mods....someone ended up turning in front of me after jumping a light and I T-boned them totalling the spec v...it was a lease so Nissan got all the $ and you just couldn' t touch the srt's bang for the buck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
04 Cloud White Spec V just sold it actually was my daily cruiser sorta. Had 4,800 miles on it! Had it since October. Went for 14,500. I was happy since i only paid 17200 for it. I held onto it hoping a good reliable turbo was released for it. Since well a sleeper car is always nice to have. My srt-4 gets a few nods but everyone just teases me for having a NEON on ROIDS. My spec v fit more in with my friends since they all had imports also. My american car sorta stands out. I love my SRT-4 only my friends heavy modded evo can beat me and that is only at a dig on the highway i own him.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.