Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, without the muffler... i was wondering, is it going to sound like a cheap honda you hear driving around, or will this be LOUD? anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
it sounds louder than a normal stock car from what i have heard. but it isnt as annoying as the hondas. sounds deep.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The SRT has a nice deep authortive rumble. Not some weedwacker sound that most of the 4bangers with coffee can exhaust sound like. At normal crusing speeds and around town, it's pretty quiet inside. You won't have to screem to talk to the person next to you, and you won't have to crank the radio into bleeding. When you get into the throttle, the noise picks up with a nice, deep growl. The car is never abusive to the ears. When it is loud, it sounds perfect. From the outside (behind), the car sounds loud. People on the street will wonder WTF drove past them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, thats what i wanted to hear. I need to make sure iots louder then these annoying hondas in my area~!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The preproduction srt4 I drove sounded awesome, coming from the factory. When you lift off the throttle, it burbles like a friggin' Le Mans car.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I would have expected all you guys to have seen it; but the SRT-4 reveal on Dodge's SRT-4 minisite is orgasmic! Was (I'm guessing) the first time they rolled a production model onto an autoshow floor. Just listen when they start that bad boy up. I swear, it was like...magical. Heh, I listened to it OVER and OVER! Only thing I've ever heard sound better is my step Dad's Super Gas radical small block '69 Camaro. The SRT-4 sounds about as good as it can without you needing hearing protection (in my book). And yeah, the burble is a beautiful thing. Sissy car mag reviewers calling it too loud and bitching about it's "reluctant shifting"...morons.

p.s. Radical compression. I wasn't calling it "radical"...

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK, I thought I would bump this up. How loud is the exhaust really? I would like it to sound manly, but not stupid and annoying (yes, I'm 36 and starting to feel slight twinges of old-fart-dome approaching) like the hondas with the coffee can exhaust (got to keep peace in the 'hood, don't ya know :) )

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
hiperco said:
OK, I thought I would bump this up. How loud is the exhaust really? I would like it to sound manly, but not stupid and annoying (yes, I'm 36 and starting to feel slight twinges of old-fart-dome approaching) like the hondas with the coffee can exhaust (got to keep peace in the 'hood, don't ya know :) )
It's a bit too loud, when the windows are up it's not too bad inside and is very nice at an idle. But when the throttle is open or you are downshifting it can bring some unwanted attention.

Hector at E.D. has a Borla 3 inch turbo back system for those of us who want things a little more subdued . . . .

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm considering buying a SRT-4, but I know that Idaho requires all vehicals to have mufflers.
Do you think I:
1) will be ok, don't worry about it
2) should install an aftermarket muffler
3) play dumb, thinking the rule doesn't apply to car's that don't come with one

·
Registered
582 Posts
ED sells his own 3" turbo back and a cat-back he doesn't sell Borla. Couple sites do sell the borla exhaust but they will not be getting anymore since borla has a contract with PVO.

·
Registered
582 Posts
1) The cops will get used to it and will realize its a stock exhaust and let you go. otherwise there is court.

The exhaust is not loud enough for people to complain.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Bionic, this is the way the car comes from the factory, so if Idaho does not like it, they will have to take that up with Dodge. I have passed many a cops with my factory no muffler exhaust system on my SRT-4(but remember, it still has 2 resonators on it) and have not had any of them look at me in a bad way.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Second Chance said:
ED sells his own 3" turbo back and a cat-back he doesn't sell Borla. Couple sites do sell the borla exhaust but they will not be getting anymore since borla has a contract with PVO.
Sorry, my bad, I went bad and looked at the thread, it wasn't ED that gave the price and configuration.

It can be setup without a performance hit, but it's a little bit pricey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Emmeran
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing