Dodge SRT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I feel better now !

It works!

To the person who wasted my time and Escalated ticket ..... go screw yourself! But have a lovely day

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
srtRICEkiller said:
I actually called the dodge/ chrysler guys and had a ticket escalated to obtain info about our "stock spoiler". They said it doesn't work
I remember hearing about the ticket in that thread. Unfortunately, the guys handling that stuff wouldn't know much more than any dcx mechanic, most of the time, they just have good resources.

The guys who would know are the ones who tested and developed it, and friends of theirs have posted up the response straight from the horses mouth. It works. I agree after my own testing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
slo-car said:
i remember when "wings" on compact cars were referred to as "gas saver spoilers". we can all type what we think, but nobody will believe each other. an eclipse i had got worse mileage with the spoiler off (read: removing the spoiler slightly raised the coefficient of drag). i'd be willing to assume that dodge is using a gas saver spoiler to lower the drag of the vehicle. very slight downforce could just be a byproduct of wind going over that spoiler at high speeds.
On the lines of this...^^^

and not to "drag" this thread out any farther...but what about gas mileage at constant speeds (80mph) for a LONG trip. Would having the spoiler off have an effect on drag (good/bad) and gas mileage? Anybody have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
paeva said:
^ that may help cut down on the drag, helping mpg, but I wouldn't count on it changing the mileage more than a fraction of a mpg. If your mileage goes up without the wing it is probably do to you effectively removing 50+ pounds (the down force created at whatever speed).
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Maybe when I make this long trip (1200 miles) I should do part with the wing and part without just to see. There may be WAY too many factors to consider though...

·
Registered
776 Posts
our cars look enough like a base neon as it is, i left mine on for the pure fact of having something that sets it apart. Dont need anymore reasons to make people think its a base neon.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Wind tunnels. Wow.
Salt flats. Cute.
Test tracks. Big whoop.
Race circuit tracks with lots of curves? Meh, might help, might not.

As some of us "overseas" people can tell you from REAL WORLD experience driving at HIGH SPEEDS (read: more than the lil' 140 blip you guys hit on a back road in the states for like 15 seconds) the stock wing and the SXT wing - for me at least - have the same exact effect on handling. Others run MOPAR S3 coilovers with NO WING at all and the wing removal had no effect on high speed handling.
Seriously. All the damn MOPAR/DCx engineers in the WORLD can come on here and say this and that but NONE of them have driven an SRT-4 on the autobahns.
Myself - and others like me - have. And trust me, the ruckenwind coming down onto the autobahns over ALSO plays a part. If you can't frickin' drive, don't blame it on lack of a wing. Blame it on your piss-poor driving ability.
I've been driving these autobahns for a little over ten years now.
Jesus H. Christ, why don't some of these posters just SEARCH the damn forums anymore?
This topic has been officially beaten to DEATH. Someone lock this fscking thread already.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Riddle me this Batman: How much force do you think the wing could add? And if the wing were truly adding this much downforce to the car dont you think those 4 little bolts that hold it on would just snap off? They are what 5mm bolts? How bout this, how strong are the mounting points on the trunklid? With my wing off I can push down over the mounting point with my hand and make the trunklid deflect. With the wing on I can push down on the wing and hear cracking sounds, try it just don't try too hard. I'd imagine if the wing were adding enough downforce to plant the A$$ of the car Iball's (Or anyone else that gets a chance to regularly top 120 MPH) trunklid would be dented and buckled by now, IF the 4 little bolts didn't shear off giving Dieter a new hood ornament on his S55 AMG. No my friends I think the wing is just for looks.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Satellite said:
Good point...anybody? :readclose
Sorry, no SRT guys ant the experience, just driving Instructors from Skip Barber.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
iball said:
Wind tunnels. Wow.
Salt flats. Cute.
Test tracks. Big whoop.
Race circuit tracks with lots of curves? Meh, might help, might not.

As some of us "overseas" people can tell you from REAL WORLD experience driving at HIGH SPEEDS (read: more than the lil' 140 blip you guys hit on a back road in the states for like 15 seconds) the stock wing and the SXT wing - for me at least - have the same exact effect on handling. Others run MOPAR S3 coilovers with NO WING at all and the wing removal had no effect on high speed handling.
Seriously. All the damn MOPAR/DCx engineers in the WORLD can come on here and say this and that but NONE of them have driven an SRT-4 on the autobahns.
Myself - and others like me - have. And trust me, the ruckenwind coming down onto the autobahns over ALSO plays a part. If you can't frickin' drive, don't blame it on lack of a wing. Blame it on your piss-poor driving ability.
I've been driving these autobahns for a little over ten years now.
Jesus H. Christ, why don't some of these posters just SEARCH the damn forums anymore?
This topic has been officially beaten to DEATH. Someone lock this fscking thread already.
All good points. But, I beg to differ. I have done long flat out runs _(even in the states, Iball) - I averaged over 130mph for a 30 minute time period a couple weeks ago. I don't do it often, but when the oppty. is there, who am I to say no. I feel that it makes a difference. I think part of the difference between here and there is the fact that the autobahn is paved properly. the road surface and its roughness over here might contribute to the difference.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Main_Event said:
iball how bout you stfu then. keep your angry ass over seas and moderate these nuts. overseas mods cant ban right?
How about this, smartass:
How come I was driving my work van today (2002 Dodge Caravan Sport) at 100mph for over an HOUR from Giessen to Mannheim to pickup network equipment to gear-up my Warfighters a little bit better and it wasn't all over the road? No wing on that thing.
Just because your poor a$$ can't afford an nice European vacation like I can doesn't mean you have to "hate" the FACTS I present here about driving on the autobahn and how it relates to the SRT-4 stock wing.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
posthondaremoval said:
All good points. But, I beg to differ. I have done long flat out runs _(even in the states, Iball) - I averaged over 130mph for a 30 minute time period a couple weeks ago. I don't do it often, but when the oppty. is there, who am I to say no. I feel that it makes a difference. I think part of the difference between here and there is the fact that the autobahn is paved properly. the road surface and its roughness over here might contribute to the difference.
True on that one about the varying road surfaces.
U.S. roads were neither designed nor engineered for high speeds like the autobahns are.
Which is why none of you should be speeding at more than 100mph over there! :lol:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I never had the car over 120 with the stock wing, but It was perfectly stable at 140+ with just a SXT wing on back. I am not so much worried about the studs but as to how they mount to the wing itself, combined with the lack of rigidity of the plastic used to mold the wing.

I know it is a different animal all together, but the wing on my superbird was supposed to provide 200 lbs of downforce at race speeds, It was mounted with 4 5/16' bolts per side with a reinforcement plate welded to the top of the quarter panel and a bracket mounted to the trunk floor directly above the frame rail for support. I just do not see the SRT wing/trunk being 1/10th as strong as the mounting of that wing.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts