Dodge SRT Forum banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
toasteroven said:
Don't confuse aerodynamics with your inability to drive.

Read up on weight distrubution while cornering before you become a smear on the guardrail. Brake before the corner. Don't lift-throttle in the corner. Accelerate after the corner. Ka-peesh?
:lol:

Hey, I have no problem admitting im not a professional driver by any means. I only did this at one point to get a feel for my new sways/struts after I installed them. And thankfully a hill of dirt stopped me first before any major damage occurred.

* repeats to self, self, brake before the corner. dont lift throttle in the corner. accelerate after the corner. ok, i got it now *

Thanks for the tips....and, as your second part says...unless im at a track or somewhere topping 100MPH all the time, ill keep my wing in my garage. :thumbsup:

Peace,

·
Registered
614 Posts
filterdemn said:
Notice how the wing pushes the air down. The spoiler on your trunk is designed upside down to push the air up. Newton's third law pushes the back end of the car down. See?
Hey, howd you get your car to fly? I have been trying this for months now.

* goes and puts wing back on car....now i WILL fly! *

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
ileadyouth said:
So you have gone 130 MPH on the freeway and made a decent bend without the rear swinging around at all? If not, then your statement proves absolutely nothing. And I call BS that you even did it in the first place. That sure is putting alot of faith in the spoiler right there (hence, there are other variables involved).

I thought this argument was over, as someone has presented factual information. This just seems like more opinion BS to me.
I have gone around a turn at 130mph. I live in Germany. I am no engineer all I know is I stuck to the ground. Why mess with it :lol:

·
Registered
614 Posts
ssgttj said:
I have gone around a turn at 130mph. I live in Germany. I am no engineer all I know is I stuck to the ground. Why mess with it :lol:
Again, 'a turn' could be anything. I need degree of turns. This is not a super car, and I seriously doubt the car was MADE for handling - or else the car would have sat lower, had better sways, bushings, and it would be AWD. The car was made for speed.

So, what was the degree of the turn, thats the question.

·
Registered
532 Posts
the wing is extremely functional. i knew this kid who totaled his car because he took a turn to fast (wing was off) and hit a tree. the insurance company said fine no problem ur car is totaled but well get you a new 1. the insurance company found out that the car had a spoiler for a reason and they didn't give him any money and he still had to pay off the car. DON'T TAKE YOUR SPOILER OFF. HE HAD STATE FARM INSURANCE BUY THE WAY

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ileadyouth said:
Again, 'a turn' could be anything. I need degree of turns. This is not a super car, and I seriously doubt the car was MADE for handling - or else the car would have sat lower, had better sways, bushings, and it would be AWD. The car was made for speed.

So, what was the degree of the turn, thats the question.
I think you are taking this way too far. Relax. No one is suggesting that you can take a 90 or 120 degree turn at over 100 mph, that is just not possible. No one had their protractor out when taking turns over 130. So no one can tell you the answer to your question. There are no time slips on this one.

You do have the benefit of hearing from many people who have driven at speed extensively, and they all(with very few exceptions), myself included, agree that we wouldn't drop the wing based on personally tested high speed performance.

Hell - even the DR. and many others have posted about this 'til their blue in the face. Read some of those threads, too.

We have proven that there is downforce. The spoiler has an effect. Like everyone says, if you don't do any high speed driving, you'll never notice. But even more appropriate, like someone else mentioned, "I have gone around a turn at 130mph. I live in Germany. I am no engineer all I know is I stuck to the ground. Why mess with it :lol:" - Why mess with it is the basic idea. - If you drive that fast.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
NOT ANOTHER SPOILER THREAD.

I already did a thread on it but if you can find anything I didn't please let the community know. Enough about who spells like shit and simple physics this and blah blah blah!

If it's functional, show some proof and show how much down force it provides at what speeds.

Simple

·
Registered
78 Posts
i remember when "wings" on compact cars were referred to as "gas saver spoilers". we can all type what we think, but nobody will believe each other. an eclipse i had got worse mileage with the spoiler off (read: removing the spoiler slightly raised the coefficient of drag). i'd be willing to assume that dodge is using a gas saver spoiler to lower the drag of the vehicle. very slight downforce could just be a byproduct of wind going over that spoiler at high speeds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ileadyouth said:
Hey, howd you get your car to fly? I have been trying this for months now.

* goes and puts wing back on car....now i WILL fly! *

:thumbsup:
Turn your spoiler upside down and you will fly! :clap:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
srtRICEkiller said:
NOT ANOTHER SPOILER THREAD.

I already did a thread on it but if you can find anything I didn't please let the community know. Enough about who spells like shit and simple physics this and blah blah blah!

If it's functional, show some proof and show how much down force it provides at what speeds.

Simple
Simple.

Buy yourself a wind tunnel and find out.

Simple.:tongue:

Physics is the best gauge since we don' thave a wind tunnel, and it is based on fact.:thumbsup:

Until you go spend 2000000$ on a wind tunnell, Physics will do.

In lieu of that, Call chrysler - and ask them what they found with the wind tunnel they tested it in.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
ebbtide said:
There have been nurmous posts by many first hand knowledge people on this board. Search is your friend. But yes, it's function at keeping the rear planted at 100+ speeds. I have mine off, and since I don't frequent 100+ speeds, it's no big deal to me. The car won't feel any different for normal use.
Thanks...we had another SRT Engineer said the same when they tested the Lightweight SRT-4 at the test track and posted what happen when they had no wing on the back - white knuckles and heart pumping moments. :lol:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
posthondaremoval said:
Simple.

Buy yourself a wind tunnel and find out.

Simple.:tongue:

Physics is the best gauge since we don' thave a wind tunnel, and it is based on fact.:thumbsup:

Until you go spend 2000000$ on a wind tunnell, Physics will do.

In lieu of that, Call chrysler - and ask them what they found with the wind tunnel they tested it in.

Actually I did speak with Dodge / Chrysler. :readclose . You know what they said. It's useless untill someone has PROOF :crying:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169064
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166115&page=1&pp=15&highlight=stock+spoiler

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Search a little farther back and by the right folks...
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116758&page=2&pp=40&highlight=spoiler
Dr. Who said:
Front axle weight @ 0 mph: 1900 #
Rear axle weight @ 0 mph: 1000 #

A buddy building a salt flats LSR SRT-4 had access to wind tunnel for testing. They ran the car stock, and then started removing parts and lowering it to get data for the setup of the car.

The rear wing made a 100 # swing in rear downforce. That's 10% of the rear axle weight. If you can't feel that difference, then you're in denial. The drag from the wing was less than they expected and their aero-guy said it was beause it cleaned up the airflow (less turbulence) off of the trunk and taillight area of the car.

The lightweight SRT-4 had no wing at first either until the first non-speed-limited run.... Then they made a spoiler for it in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
srtRICEkiller said:
Actually I did speak with Dodge / Chrysler. :readclose . You know what they said. It's useless untill someone has PROOF :crying:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169064
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166115&page=1&pp=15&highlight=stock+spoiler
well - you talked to the wrong person, homie.

Like the DR. Said:
Front axle weight @ 0 mph: 1900 #
Rear axle weight @ 0 mph: 1000 #

A buddy building a salt flats LSR SRT-4 had access to wind tunnel for testing. They ran the car stock, and then started removing parts and lowering it to get data for the setup of the car.

The rear wing made a 100 # swing in rear downforce. That's 10% of the rear axle weight. If you can't feel that difference, then you're in denial. The drag from the wing was less than they expected and their aero-guy said it was beause it cleaned up the airflow (less turbulence) off of the trunk and taillight area of the car.

The lightweight SRT-4 had no wing at first either until the first non-speed-limited run.... Then they made a spoiler for it in a hurry.

Thank you BlueBoggaLoo

That was the one I was looking for - there are your facts and proof, srtRICEkilla':hi:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hmm... or you could just look at the wing. The top of it is relatively flat, compared to the bottom, which has much more of a curve, kind of like an upside-down airplane wing. This means it would have to create some kind of downforce on the rear wheels. I dont think the question is "is it effect", more like "how effective is it"

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
SloppySnake said:
Hmm... or you could just look at the wing. The top of it is relatively flat, compared to the bottom, which has much more of a curve, kind of like an upside-down airplane wing. This means it would have to create some kind of downforce on the rear wheels. I dont think the question is "is it effect", more like "how effective is it"
Yeah that's the title of the 3 page post...Answer has been posted :thumbsup:

81 - 100 of 144 Posts