Dodge SRT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ileadyouth said:
Yeah, just get a really good spell checker. Though I did graduate high school and college, I will admit that they dont teach you a whole lot. You can do whatever you WANT to do if you take the time to educate yourself. :thumbsup:
I definitely agree with that.

I decided to leave college for a carrear in commercial real estate and have never regreted it in the slightest. Education is quite poor in this great country we live in. Hell - Places like Barbados have a better reading proficiency than the U.S.. School can be a good tool, but is certainly not necessary. There is no substitute for ability, intelligence, and experience.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
posthondaremoval said:
There is no substitute for ability, intelligence, and experience.
I agree like a mofo. I'm V.P. of a company that sells ink for printing presses, and mixes ink for printing presses, granted there's only 2 people that work here, we sell around $350,000 worth of ink/supplies every year, and all I have is my diploma. I quit college to work here full time, and I think college is just a repeat of highschool, just deeper in detail, seemed pointless to me to even bother, especially when you pay for it.

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
RuizGT said:
I can't believe how gullible some of you people are, the wing has little to no effect, get over it.
Well spoken. We'll all take the advice of a WIND tunnel engineer. :eeeek:

·
Registered
218 Posts
if any of you have the balls to do it. take the spoiler off go around a decent bend on the highway at 130mph or faster and i bet your ass end will be trying to pass you in the next lane .

i'am just speaking from experiance , i had coilovers and swaybars with 225 tires on the car and it still wanted to kick out .

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
SLVRJAY2 said:
if any of you have the balls to do it. take the spoiler off go around a decent bend on the highway at 130mph or faster and i bet your ass end will be trying to pass you in the next lane .

i'am just speaking from experiance , i had coilovers and swaybars with 225 tires on the car and it still wanted to kick out .

correct.

Not only do we have downforce via the spoiler, but the vertical (sort of ) strakes give it directional stability, as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
SLVRJAY2 said:

I had the rear swing around me going around a curve at 60, with the wing on. So, I would assume that if I INCREASED my speed, I will still have the rear swing around on me. I have sways, struts, bushings.

So you have gone 130 MPH on the freeway and made a decent bend without the rear swinging around at all? If not, then your statement proves absolutely nothing. And I call BS that you even did it in the first place. That sure is putting alot of faith in the spoiler right there (hence, there are other variables involved).

I thought this argument was over, as someone has presented factual information. This just seems like more opinion BS to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ileadyouth,

are you saying that all spoilers do nothing?

because 80lbs of downforce at 100mph is significant to stability

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
ileadyouth said:
I had the rear swing around me going around a curve at 60, with the wing on. So, I would assume that if I INCREASED my speed, I will still have the rear swing around on me. I have sways, struts, bushings.

So you have gone 130 MPH on the freeway and made a decent bend without the rear swinging around at all? If not, then your statement proves absolutely nothing. And I call BS that you even did it in the first place. That sure is putting alot of faith in the spoiler right there (hence, there are other variables involved).

I thought this argument was over, as someone has presented factual information. This just seems like more opinion BS to me.
Why BS?

I don't think my cojones are that huge, but I had no qualms about running from lancaster to phila averaging over 130 the whole way. My girl was in the car (note that she is usually egging me on) and said she decided not to look at the speedo anymore after she saw it cross 140.

I have taken sweeping turns at around 140 on the PA turnpike, and the nascar embankment at pocono at 135. This car is comfortable at speed in turns with the spoiler on. I can not speak to its performance without, but don't think I would want to, either.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ileadyouth said:

yes i have i do it all the time . i have no problem's with the wing on . driving with some common sence will not spin the rear out at 60mph either , anybody can do that.

if you don't belive me i'll video it the next time i'am coming back from home on rt. 11

·
Registered
614 Posts
SLVRJAY2 said:
yes i have i do it all the time . i have no problem's with the wing on . driving with some common sence will not spin the rear out at 60mph either , anybody can do that.

if you don't belive me i'll video it the next time i'am coming back from home on rt. 11
Ok, what kind of curve are we talking about here? 90 degree? 120 degree?

That might help clarify all this and help me retract my BS. hehe.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ileadyouth said:
Ok, what kind of curve are we talking about here? 90 degree? 120 degree?

That might help clarify all this and help me retract my BS. hehe.

which one are you talking about ? a high speed bend or a low speed curve as in a on or off ramp exit ?

i've taken many high speed bends over bumps at over a 130mph with the wing on and i love the feel of the car its has very confident handling at those speeds .

at speeds of 60 or 70 getting on off ramps from the freeway that are about 120 degree curve , the ones that say 25mph exit on them . yes i've felt the car want to slide out with the wing on.

its main design was for high speed stablity . :hi:

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Ok, ok, here's the deal. For daily driving around town, i.e. speeds under 60 mph, the wing is basically non-functional except for aesthetics. Above those speeds the wing begins to develop down-force and drag. These forces will increase as the square of the velocity and will be significant above 100mph. Both these forces would add to the car's stability at high speeds. For straightline drag racing, you are probably better off without it up to some speed where control could be an issue and then you would probably want a small upward turned spoiler. I wasn't in on the design of this car, so I don't know what that speed would be for straight line stability. This would probably be way beyond stock power levels and 1/4 mile speeds though. I think the wing would be valuable for road course racing (not auto-x in a parking lot). Oh and by the way, I am a rocket scientist.

·
Registered
614 Posts
enginjoe said:
Ok, ok, here's the deal. For daily driving around town, i.e. speeds under 60 mph, the wing is basically non-functional except for aesthetics. Above those speeds the wing begins to develop down-force and drag. These forces will increase as the square of the velocity and will be significant above 100mph. Both these forces would add to the car's stability at high speeds. For straightline drag racing, you are probably better off without it up to some speed where control could be an issue and then you would probably want a small upward turned spoiler. I wasn't in on the design of this car, so I don't know what that speed would be for straight line stability. This would probably be way beyond stock power levels and 1/4 mile speeds though. I think the wing would be valuable for road course racing (not auto-x in a parking lot). Oh and by the way, I am a rocket scientist.
Yeah, i suck at drag racing and can only trap 101MPH, so I dont think the wing would be much effect at the strip. hehe.

Rocket scientist eh? Thats pretty sweet! :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
enginjoe said:
Oh and by the way, I am a rocket scientist.
I'm not a rocket scientist but I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night.

This 5 pages of BS = :lol:

To answer the orginal question. Take the wing off if you want, it isn't going to effect shizzle.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
RuizGT said:
Good for you, I wasn't trying to buy one, and he wasn't trying to sell me one, it has to do with marketing because they were aiming the car at a younger crowd, it has a little to do with marketing. If the air goes anywhere for downforce, it goes to the trunk, the rear wing will not actually create downforce, take it off and test it for yourself.

I can't believe how gullible some of you people are, the wing has little to no effect, get over it.
Don't make shit up when you have no idea what you're talking about - you end up looking like an idiot. If the PVO / SRT engineers (the car nuts that built the SRT-4) say that the wing has downforce, that's good enough for me. They have their own test track, and experience with the car at high speeds (legally), and also have access to a wind tunnel... and I'm betting you don't. If it's not good enough for you, take your wing off and shaddap.

ileadyouth said:
Don't confuse aerodynamics with your inability to drive.

Read up on weight distrubution while cornering before you become a smear on the guardrail. Brake before the corner. Don't lift-throttle in the corner. Accelerate after the corner. Ka-peesh?

Koolie said:
I'm not a rocket scientist but I did stay at a Holiday inn express last night.

This 5 pages of BS = :lol:

To answer the orginal question. Take the wing off if you want, it isn't going to effect shizzle.
To answer the original question, if you drive your car at legal speeds on highways and roads, you will see no effect from removing the spoiler.

·
Administrator
14,452 Posts
I just want to point out that one of the engineers did chime into the discussion.. and that the SRT-4 wing is functional..

And he said "not at the speeds you think" so I think he said anything beyond 100mph.. and extreme cornering like the SCCA events.. etc

·
Registered
106 Posts
Notice how the wing pushes the air down. The spoiler on your trunk is designed upside down to push the air up. Newton's third law pushes the back end of the car down. See?

61 - 80 of 144 Posts