Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the srt-4 and have had it for about 5 months but the spoiler never really grew on me like I thought it would. I just think that the car would look better if it didnt have it. Does anyone know if I will have high speed instability if I take it off. Has anyone hit 150mph without one. I have heard from mopar that the stock spoiler starts creating downforce after 80 mph but how much. I would just like some peoples opinions on its functionality.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It keeps our rear wheels on the ground since we are RWD.

I took mine off a few weeks after getting the car. I have hit 140 with it on/off and felt no difference (however, its just a straight line).

·
Registered
237 Posts
i know someone who did take it off and when they hit 100+ mph if they had to make any movments other then straight line they said that the back felt like it wanted to give out. i have had my car up to 142 and i havent felt anything (wing is on). i wouldnt mess with it just simply cause the dealer puts it there for reasoning more then looks dont need to be taking a slight turn at 120 and lose it............. :grimrippe

·
Registered
614 Posts
ACRstg205 said:
i know someone who did take it off and when they hit 100+ mph if they had to make any movments other then straight line they said that the back felt like it wanted to give out. i have had my car up to 142 and i havent felt anything (wing is on). i wouldnt mess with it just simply cause the dealer puts it there for reasoning more then looks dont need to be taking a slight turn at 120 and lose it............. :grimrippe
With the 205 stock wheels, any slight turns at 120 is gonna move you around. I dont believe that the wing does anything. The dealer put it on to sell to a younger crowd that likes the big wings.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Yeah, I'm looking for a silver SXT spoiler to replace the big wing hanging in the garage. The carraige bolts with rubber washers don't look as bad as the wing though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
ileadyouth said:
It keeps our rear wheels on the ground since we are RWD.

I took mine off a few weeks after getting the car. I have hit 140 with it on/off and felt no difference (however, its just a straight line).

RWD?! how'd you do that?!

mine is FWD...as are all of them

in comparison the back end of the car already weighs practically nothing...i would leave it on there even if it doesnt do much...however, just from the way its shaped, its gotta do something.

also, whenever i look in my rear view, there he is, staring back at me...hey buddy

·
Registered
237 Posts
it does something the sti's the evo's and ours does something for the cars. one of my friends has a white evo and took his wing off tried taking a turn and lost it (doesnt have it anymore) with his new evo he said he will never take it off again. the wings are put there like i said not only for looks but they know that the crowd that likes big wings are going to drive fast and they want to keep the cars on the road. a wing will always do something even if it is very small difference its still a difference.

·
Registered
614 Posts
jaredcarini said:
RWD?! how'd you do that?!

mine is FWD...as are all of them
That was sarcasm my friend. As wings help with downforce on many RWD cars. I was simply making a point it doesnt help our cars in that manner.

I would like to see some scientific proof of the stuff you guys are spouting off.

What speed does it become functional?
Whats the downforce, and how does it help in turns...straight line?
What other factors need to come into play? Weight transfer of vehicle? Wheel base? Tire size?

Ill keep mine off, as I notice no difference in the same conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
ya it is functional.. granted the 205's dont help but i have the sxt wing on mine and after 95mph the car feels loose inthe rear.. it defently dose somthing the car just dosent seem to be as stable anymore. and DCx did not put it ont he car to only make it look good.. if that was the case than so did toyota with the supra.. chevy with the camaro.. ford with the huge cobra R wing... mitsubishi witht he GSX and evo.. subaru witht he sti.. and many others.. and no its not a new thing or a new fad... anyone remember the old dodge daytonas? well its defently functional.. i already got reamed for trying to make a point that it wasent but it is.. no its not going to act like a top fule drag wing or an f1 car wing but it dose what it needs too.. period

·
Registered
614 Posts
Jmhm17 said:
ya it is functional.. granted the 205's dont help but i have the sxt wing on mine and after 95mph the car feels loose inthe rear.. it defently dose somthing the car just dosent seem to be as stable anymore.
Are you sure its the car that does that? :tongue:

For some reason, that doesnt seem to scientific to me :lol:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
There have been nurmous posts by many first hand knowledge people on this board. Search is your friend. But yes, it's function at keeping the rear planted at 100+ speeds. I have mine off, and since I don't frequent 100+ speeds, it's no big deal to me. The car won't feel any different for normal use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jmhm17 said:
ya it is functional.. granted the 205's dont help but i have the sxt wing on mine and after 95mph the car feels loose inthe rear.. it defently dose somthing the car just dosent seem to be as stable anymore. and DCx did not put it ont he car to only make it look good.. if that was the case than so did toyota with the supra.. chevy with the camaro.. ford with the huge cobra R wing... mitsubishi witht he GSX and evo.. subaru witht he sti.. and many others.. and no its not a new thing or a new fad... anyone remember the old dodge daytonas? well its defently functional.. i already got reamed for trying to make a point that it wasent but it is.. no its not going to act like a top fule drag wing or an f1 car wing but it dose what it needs too.. period
exactly its there to keep things stable. you figure 95-100 mph wind with any wing on a pitch it will hold something down or at least keep it tight.

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
RuizGT said:
It has no downforce effect at all, and very slight side to side resistance, in other words, it's just for looks.
You are so wrong!

I sat in on a forum chat with the design engineers of the SRT4 before it was released and they stated the spoiler was very functional. I'll take there word for it.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
ptc01 said:
You are so wrong!

I sat in on a forum chat with the design engineers of the SRT4 before it was released and they stated the spoiler was very functional. I'll take there word for it.
Cool, I know some guys who did marketing for the cars, there's not even enough angle if you look at the wing to create downforce, but think whatever you want.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts