Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wilwood bbk (6-pot calipers) that I'm removing to go back to stock and the origianl calipers were bagged and put in the garage, but they've been there for 2 years. I want to rebuild them, but have never changed the pistons/seals on a caliper and this is ONE area I don't want to mess up:eeeek:

Anyone have experience/advice on this? The parts are really cheap and I don't think this is difficult, but wanted to see if anyone had some real-world experience before I attempted this.

the original calipers had no more than 85k on them when removed - I just hit 150k on the car. Comments? advice?

Thanks,

TomC3

·
Administrator
39,333 Posts
it is pretty easy, just youtube it and you'll get tons of videos, nothing special about the SRT calipers compared to whatever random ford/chevy/etc you may come across.

but make 100% sure you have the correct rebuild kit. the dorman one listed in the parts store computers is NOT the correct size. Buying the kit from the dealer will get you the correct seal, dust boot, and a new piston.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more questions....

so, if I price out the cost of the piston kit and the sliders and grommets to do a "complete" rebuild from Mopar...it's at least $50 a side...this vs getting a semi-loaded rebuilt caliper from a1-cardone, etc....lots of choices in rebuilt calipers/brackets. The only downside is I lose the purty red calipers that came stock on the srt-4.

1) what's the best brand of rebuilt caliper...or does it matter?
2) If I rebuild myself, can I:
a) use air to pop out the pistons.
b) how easy is it to install the dust boot without the special tool?

Overall, the rebuild seems pretty easy, but getting a pressure-tested rebuilt caliper and bracket may be easier on my time. Comments? Suggestions? Is there a cheap place to get these parts? Done a bunch o' searching...love to find that "double secret probation" parts place :jester:

·
Administrator
39,333 Posts
I got the cardone caliper because I needed it now and the dealer. Pilsnt get me the rebuild kit for like 5 days. I still spent 2 days cleaning and painting the new caliper and waiting for it to dry enough to install.

And I still get a slightly sticky brake on that corner every once in a while, just enough to feel it at slow speed.

In the end I should have waited for the rebuild kit and bought the hardware and had a job I knew was mine (for good or bad) and for half the price.

·
Administrator
39,333 Posts
And yes you can and should use air to pop the pistons out. The dust boot isn't supposed to be too hard to do without the tools.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used the rebuild kit from O'Reilly and it worked perfectly, it does not include the piston, but mine was not damaged so I went ahead and re-used it. Interestingly enough, O'Reilly offers a metal replacement piston as well as the OE style phenolic.

Not having access to air tools, I simply removed the pads one side at a time and had my wife slowly pump the brakes until the piston was almost fully extended. I removed the brake hose, drained the fluid from the caliper and pulled the piston out by hand.

Including new brake fluid for the entire brake system, I spent roughly $15 to rebuild both front calipers. However this did not include new caliper slide bolts as mine were in good shape as well as the rubber boots.

Sent from my DROID3

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
i've gutted, cleaned and rebuilt about a half dozen of these calipers (every used one I got was diassembled for inspection) and it's really easy. shop air will pop the piston out no problem. the dust boot can be a bit of a pain but a little patience goes a long way there. :D

recommend you put a piece of wood between the piston and outside of the caliper, so that when it pops out it doesn't slam into the metal, chipping the piston. also apply air SLOWLY... the piston is designed to move pretty easily after all and can eject with quite a bit of force if you're careless.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm "back from the dead"! I think it's amazing that a thread I started in 2012 is still living! My ACR has been up on the Quickjack for about 2 years. Soon to be alive again (wiring harness, sensors, leak fixing, etc.). Car started right up a few months ago, so I'm encouraged.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cool! I’m just about wrapping up my srt. Spare brakes overhaul will be my next project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts