Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help reading the techgauge- triple gauge.

what is acceptable knock retard ( 5 or 10, etc) to still be safe?

what is acceptable on the ignition advance also?

I have a wideband, but need to know what is okay on these also- to tune it right, so I know whether or not timing is being pulled.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Acceptable Knock and timing

SilverSRT4Ken said:
I need help reading the techgauge- triple gauge.

what is acceptable knock retard ( 5 or 10, etc) to still be safe?

what is acceptable on the ignition advance also?

I have a wideband, but need to know what is okay on these also- to tune it right, so I know whether or not timing is being pulled.
Hi, a small of amount of Knock retard -- say less then 5 degrees is generally thought to be acceptable. More than this and your ECU is compensating enough to significantly reduce power. While the ECU will always pull timing when Knock is "heard" -- small amounts do not affect overall engine power as much as larger values.

Ideally, you can use different methods of fuel enrichment -- water/Meth injection -- GOOD FMIC [ for lower inlet temps ] as methods to reduce Knock.

Of course REAL GOOD fuel -- with higher MON numbers will also reduce Knock.

In reality -- I.E. we generally need to run on pump gas -- lower inlet charge temps and adding a water/meth injection are GOOD ways to prevent or minimize knock and therfore MAXIMIZE timing and power.

Ignition advance is less easy to define -- as far as what is acceptable. Engine RPM -- LOAD -- Fuel Octane -- Inlet Charge Temps -- Altitude etc. ALL have a factor in the Total ignition advance.

Note how the ECU begins to retard timing as the Boost comes on.

Bottom Line -- the Knock reading is a GOOD method to determine if you are loosing power because the ECU is pulling too much timing to compensate for poor fuel -- too much Inlet charge temperature etc.

Hope this answers your questions.

Best Regards,

Bob Weiland

TechGauges

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it does, thanx. so less than 5 is ideal. but the timing is harder to say?

I have a re-cored stock IC from AIS bar & plate, and usually like to boost 18lbs fall to 14 on stock turbo. I just wanted to know a little more about how to read them. Do you know what would be 'dangerous" timing on 90degree day at sea level- not going up hill, just WOT? (given my mods)

also- the o2 doesnt read temp, does it?

Thanx again,
Ken

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tune for low Knock Retard

SilverSRT4Ken said:
yeah it does, thanx. so less than 5 is ideal. but the timing is harder to say?

I have a re-cored stock IC from AIS bar & plate, and usually like to boost 18lbs fall to 14 on stock turbo. I just wanted to know a little more about how to read them. Do you know what would be 'dangerous" timing on 90degree day at sea level- not going up hill, just WOT? (given my mods)

Thanx again,
Ken
Ken,

Our Tri mode -- Knock -- IAT -- Timing -- gauge reads the Inlet Air Temp [ IAT ].

As long as your Knock retard is low < 5 you are safe. Larger numbers actually are not necessarily unsafe -- they just indicate that enough timing is being pulled to noticably decrease engine power output.

Hope this answers your questions.

Best Regards,

Bob Weiland

TechGauges

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MEBERTD said:
SilverSRT4Ken said:
I have a re-cored stock IC from AIS bar & plate, and usually like to boost 18lbs fall to 14 on stock turbo. I just wanted to know a little more about how to read them.

Thanx again,
Ken
Ken,

Our Tri mode -- Knock -- IAT -- Timing -- gauge reads the Inlet Air Temp [ IAT ].

Best Regards,

Bob Weiland

TechGauges
I think I figured out why the o2 keeps jumpin around numbers high & low massive fluxuation.--- I was thinkin it was intake temp (IAT gauge), but its not. I think I got the wrong gauge, Lol -- the "o2" shouldve been a clue to me, but I wasnt aware til after it was in. -- sent you a pm.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
im in vegas ~2000 ft above sea level..

at 110 degree F IAT, i see 32 degrees of timing advance at WOT (peak) and no knock

at 130 degree F IAT, i see 32 degrees (Peak) and 2 counts of knock (peak)

at 80 degree F IAT (not often, i was in the mountain, about 5000 ft. above sea level), i have seen 41 degrees of timing and no knock (car was haulin ass!)

hope that helps you a lil..

p.s. you can scroll through if you want timing or knock count...... the IAT is always on....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Different Gauge

Ken,

YES -- you have one of the original TechGauges that reads Timing -- KR -- O2.

Our customers asked for a different design about a month after you purchased your gauge.

TechGauges will upgrade your gauge to the Later KR -- IAT -- Timing gauge for a nominal fee as soon as our lenses arrive.

I sent you a PM and called you on this subject.

Glad we could be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Bob Weiland

TechGauges

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MEBERTD said:
Ken,
YES -- you have one of the original TechGauges that reads Timing -- KR -- O2.
Our customers asked for a different design about a month after you purchased your gauge.
TechGauges will upgrade your gauge to the Later KR -- IAT -- Timing gauge for a nominal fee as soon as our lenses arrive.
I sent you a PM and called you on this subject.
Glad we could be of assistance.
Best Regards,
Bob Weiland
TechGauges
Thanx Bob,
Thank you for your fast & fair response on this matter. strong tech support about your product is important to me. you stand behind your product & I appreciate it. lookin forward to talkin to ou in 2 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts