Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone? My name is Darnell, and I'm on a quest for my first srt. I went to look at one today at used car dealer, only to be jerked around. I am interested in another one but it's about 3 hours away from me.

The ad says:

"Up for sale here is my little brother's SRT-4. It has about 96,000 miles on it. It runs and drives with no problems. Has a lot of new parts on it. Head gasket was replaced about 5000 miles ago, dropped springs, msd coil, new spark plug wires, pioneer single din dvd/radio, and a few more thing I'm probably forgetting. *Update* as of last week the car has been having hard start issues. Took it to a shop and it has a problem where the wire harness plugs into the ECU. Simple fix but I don't have the time or funds to mess with it right now. $3500obo! "

My question is how often do these cars have problems with the ECU wiring?? I am perfectly capable of repairing anything i find myself, but I'm wondering if all else mechanically checks out, would it still be a worthwhile purchase, or should i move on to something else??

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Not many times did we see these types of issues, unless the had the Electromotive or other aftermarket ECU wired into the harness done badly. The first year we would break the lock tabs on the PCM plugs not knowing what we were doing taking them off. There could be corrosion at the PCM plugs due to a missing seal.
The MSD coil could be bad and causing the starting issues.
If you go look at it see if you can pull the codes if there are any.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm asking him for pix, he "forgot" today. Last night he told me his brother was splicing in a new ecm connector. I'm not too keen on that idea, but hey if it helps me get the car even cheaper then I'm all for it haha. I've read a few threads stating that the MSD coils are junk and to stick with stock. Would buying an aftermarket oe replacement be a good idea before going to look at the car, or would oem be the way to go??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I highly doubt it, I've seen some scary things when people go about rewiring ECMs. I'm still waiting on pictures, but if it doesn't look good, them I'm not going to check it out, I'll just keep saving for something cleaner. I just hate buying other people's builds/projects because most aren't truthful or knowledgeable about the car's history, especially when talking 3+ owner cars.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My msd coil lasted about 5 years then crapped out in me. When mine was going bad at idle it sounded like a wrx. Also when getting into boost it would break up really bad. I personally wouldn't buy a coil for the car unless your buying it cause those as far as I know cannot be returned since they are electrical.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i got pictures from the owner today, of course there is butt connector on the harness. I'll still go look at it, as i know the feeling of not wanting to dump money into a car and wanting to get rid if it. I am going through that now with my Integra honestly. Hopefully all checks out, and I'll be part of the family soon.

I'll make sure to do the proverbial tests, such as coolant and compression tests, leak checks, checking for rust, and all of the other stuff. As stated, this will be my first SRT4, but i tend to pick things up quickly when i need to.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
How's it going everyone? My name is Darnell, and I'm on a quest for my first srt. I went to look at one today at used car dealer, only to be jerked around. I am interested in another one but it's about 3 hours away from me.

The ad says:

"Up for sale here is my little brother's SRT-4. It has about 96,000 miles on it. It runs and drives with no problems. Has a lot of new parts on it. Head gasket was replaced about 5000 miles ago, dropped springs, msd coil, new spark plug wires, pioneer single din dvd/radio, and a few more thing I'm probably forgetting. *Update* as of last week the car has been having hard start issues. Took it to a shop and it has a problem where the wire harness plugs into the ECU. Simple fix but I don't have the time or funds to mess with it right now. $3500obo! "

My question is how often do these cars have problems with the ECU wiring?? I am perfectly capable of repairing anything i find myself, but I'm wondering if all else mechanically checks out, would it still be a worthwhile purchase, or should i move on to something else??
You should ask a few more questions about the headgasket. A full engine harness in good shape with no splices only runs $150-300 dollars. An improperly done headgasket job is a nightmare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, i drove 3.5+hrs one way to check out the Srt in the original post, waste on my time i must say. No a/c components, trunk wouldn't open from the button or using key, had to crawl in trunk to pull the emergency release. Center console was broken and rigged up. There was no coolant in the engine, yet a head gasket was just done?? The gauge cluster had been swapped out to one with only 30000 miles on it, the ad says 96k, yet the guy told me it has around 110k. The car didn't have fender liners, or front bumper lights. Of course the harness was boogered up at the ecu, in the spot where there are no pins in the ecu when there is no plug in it and the battery was dead, so of course the car didn't turn over, or even click the starter solenoid. They also pulled the radio out, yet the ad says it was included.

The big kicker was the car was in the guys mother's name, and she signed the title in the wrong place. He said he could get a duplicate the next day, i highly doubt it works like that.

The good, it had Tein springs, AEM intake, silicone hoses, air in the tires, and no rust in the quarters, haha.

Oh well, onto the next one.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Good call if it were closer I would've offered him like a 1000 dollars put some time and money into it and keep it or sell it. But even then after the grocery list of things you just read making any sort of profit would've been incredibly difficult. You'll find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honestly, it was very tempting becasue i like a challenge, and I'm a pretty bad impulse buyer. But i am not looking for a project this time, already have enough as it is. I'd prefer to not buy someone else's built car, "Built not Bought" is something i like to go by, but for the price i can have a good runner and hopefully not have to do anything drastic to it right away.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My guess would be scammers, told me they paid 7k for the car 3 or 4 years ago, and that they drove 4 hrs to Massachusetts to buy it. Funny thing is, there was nothing in the carfax about Massachusetts, but it could be credible because the 4th owner, owned the car until 2012 i believe.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts