Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of different people have started posting their dyno's after modding. In every single one of them the HP gains are minor and the TQ skyrockets. I dont know a whole hell of a lot about what the mods really do, but what is so different about the MOPAR Stage upgrades that will allow them to make 270/270 for stage II ??

Someone just posted a 223/283 with minimal mods.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,649 Posts
HP gains?

This is exactly why I am waiting to see the Mopar staged upgrades. To me it still looks like the ecu is smarter than people are giving it credit for. Mod it to get more hp and the ecu detunes to maintain a set hp. I have no proof but am willing to wait untill the mopar upgrades come out to see what they do with the ecu reprograms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
Re: HP gains?

gdflys said:
This is exactly why I am waiting to see the Mopar staged upgrades. To me it still looks like the ecu is smarter than people are giving it credit for. Mod it to get more hp and the ecu detunes to maintain a set hp. I have no proof but am willing to wait untill the mopar upgrades come out to see what they do with the ecu reprograms.
w3rd! That ecu isn't f*cking around. The torque gains seem to come from exhaust. We've yet to see a dyno w/boost controller or without. I'm betting you won't see a 10hp/1psi gain like most cars will see. When the factory upgrades come out, or an aftermarket ecu upgrade, I bet we see dynos skyrocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,982 Posts
Re: HP gains?

ebbtide said:
gdflys said:
This is exactly why I am waiting to see the Mopar staged upgrades. To me it still looks like the ecu is smarter than people are giving it credit for. Mod it to get more hp and the ecu detunes to maintain a set hp. I have no proof but am willing to wait untill the mopar upgrades come out to see what they do with the ecu reprograms.
w3rd! That ecu isn't f*cking around. The torque gains seem to come from exhaust. We've yet to see a dyno w/boost controller or without. I'm betting you won't see a 10hp/1psi gain like most cars will see. When the factory upgrades come out, or an aftermarket ecu upgrade, I bet we see dynos skyrocket.
Im with you on that one bro....and that has me keeping $$ in my pockets, but its just unreal to see that ATP only got about 15 horses with 16psi + their boltons, but the torque went insane.

This aint no regular ECU, this thing has AI!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,491 Posts
you know what it is........dodge knows we want more hp, hp sells cars right? well if the computer wont allow you to get more hp, then you HAVE to buy the mopar computer upgrades if you want to see more hp. . :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
Also remember that the mopar stage 2 is not only a computer, but a new turbo, too, that will bump the horsepower.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
all in all the computer 0wn3d ju guys! but i also think that lil 16g was designed to make the best use of the 2.4...Torque!...horses on 2.4s gather quickly when you mess with fuel and cams otherwise the computer and turbo have you all by the balz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Could it be injectors? Both MOPAR kits come with new injectors. I'm thinking the stock ones are maxxed out quickly. :?:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
true too but also remember mr regulator IS gas tank mounted :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,982 Posts
JCX said:
Could it be injectors? Both MOPAR kits come with new injectors. I'm thinking the stock ones are maxxed out quickly. :?:
Nah, doubt they'd do that for cost reasons. Im sure out injectors are good for their stage I and maybe II. It just doesnt make sendse to have 4 different injector packages for the car. They want to make money and the easierst way is to limit the injectors for each level.

If someone cracks the ECU, doomsday shall be upon Mopar :twisted:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
i bet AFx ( www.howellautomotive.com )will be first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
cali said:
Nah, doubt they'd do that for cost reasons. Im sure out injectors are good for their stage I and maybe II. It just doesnt make sendse to have 4 different injector packages for the car. They want to make money and the easierst way is to limit the injectors for each level.

If someone cracks the ECU, doomsday shall be upon Mopar :twisted:
Stage I comes with injectors, doesn't it? However I do agree that the ECU is a large limit in stock form.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
Gary Howell is a perfectionist and hes always got some stuff only he offers *cough* Indy *cough* WOW! could he making an Indy manifold for the SRT4 :roll: :twisted: :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,982 Posts
JCX said:
cali said:
Nah, doubt they'd do that for cost reasons. Im sure out injectors are good for their stage I and maybe II. It just doesnt make sendse to have 4 different injector packages for the car. They want to make money and the easierst way is to limit the injectors for each level.

If someone cracks the ECU, doomsday shall be upon Mopar :twisted:
Stage I comes with injectors, doesn't it? However I do agree that the ECU is a large limit in stock form.
They say 30% injectors, but that doesnt mean its not a sw/ECU increase.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
27,026 Posts
hemidakota said:
This is why I am jumping to the 40 percent version.

Even with the stage packaging, I noticed not much change on the piping or plumbing...why?
to what hemi?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
I bet the injectors are included to flood the exhaust and turbo with fuel, to keep them from melting. I bet the stock injectors can handle that power, but it would start to run too lean to maintain the health of the turbo, exhaust and cat. Again, i'll wait to upgrade with mopar. Not that I doubt the aftermarket guys, bot PVO built the car, they know what needs to be upgraded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Re: HP gains?

gdflys said:
This is exactly why I am waiting to see the Mopar staged upgrades. To me it still looks like the ecu is smarter than people are giving it credit for. Mod it to get more hp and the ecu detunes to maintain a set hp. I have no proof but am willing to wait untill the mopar upgrades come out to see what they do with the ecu reprograms.
Can someone please explain to me how the ECU "detunes" itself to maintain a certain HP? How does the ECU know how much torque its producing? That sounds like non-sense.

Horsepower is a function of torque. Its making tons of torque @ low RPM because thats right in the sweet spot of the turbo. The problem with making bigger power on the top end is directly proportional to how much the compressor will flow. Keep the stock ecu, slap on a larger turbo, add fuel... the horsepower on the top end will go up. I dont think there is any magical HP calculator in the ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,971 Posts
Re: HP gains?

boost junkie said:
Horsepower is a function of torque. Its making tons of torque @ low RPM because thats right in the sweet spot of the turbo. The problem with making bigger power on the top end is directly proportional to how much the compressor will flow. Keep the stock ecu, slap on a larger turbo, add fuel... the horsepower on the top end will go up. I dont think there is any magical HP calculator in the ECU.
Math and computers are a neat thing. They have sensors for RPM, Mass Air Flow, Inlet temp, fuel flow, engine temp, etc..... There's no reason with that much data that you can't make a model and calculate the power. Besides, if the car controls the output, then the idiot who makes his own MBC and messes it up won't detonate his engine. Sounds like a safe way to control your 70,000mile warrenty on an overexcited sport coupe..
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
14 Participants
Kyle
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing
Top