Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone just looking to get some good input on what size garage I should look for. I'm was kinda think over 500 square foot range but I would like bigger. What size do you guys think is the best?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you could afford it, 3 car garage with high ceiling. That should be future proof. A port for the wife, one for you, and a service port. It could also double as a special/collector car port. Possibly to hold two cars if you install a lift.

Whatever you do, don't let your garage become a storage unit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's honestly what I'm trying to look for but I can't find any with that setup lol I would think of a house has that set up a car guy lives there and isn't going to give it up because it's a decent set up. I honestly could deal with a high ceiling garage but wouldn't need to put a lift in. I just want one that I'm able to walk compelety around the car with out any issues. And yeah my garage will not be a storage unit. The wife and I have already had that discussion haha

·
Registered
184 Posts
Agreed, 3 is pretty rare. Perhaps you could find a 2.5 car garage. That should give plenty of clearance for 2 cars, plus some room for a 4 post lift in the future, which could double as above parking for a 3rd low profile car.

Standard two car garage size isn't really enough room to comfortably work on a vehicle with another parked next to it, that's where the extra "1/2" space comes really handy. Simple things like positioning a jack without the handle bumping against the wall or other car, removing tires is a super convenience.

I'm currently stuck with a standard two car garage, but fortunately it has high ceilings - I will be getting a lift shortly just so I can stack cars. A two car garage does fit 2 cars + motorcycle "VERY TIGHT", and when it comes time to work on a car, the other has to move outside if all 4 wheels need to come off. Some days I just want to hang myself because playing musical parking spots to do an oil change is a PITA.

(I live in an HOA, so all work must be done with the garage door closed .... don't live in an HOA..... trust me on that)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
(I live in an HOA, so all work must be done with the garage door closed .... don't live in an HOA..... trust me on that)
Why anyone lives in one is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You have to get creative with a 2 car garage. Put the workbench against the front of the garage. If you HAVE to have something like a welding table or something like that have it fold down. I've seen people build a cubbie on the side of their garage 3 feet outwards into their backyard to put their tool chest and workbench in the pocket area. These are ideas that anyone can benefit from. However if you have the cash just get a 3 car garage and be done with it. If you're going to make such a large investment, wouldn't you rather pay the extra $ for just a little more room?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's the issue is trying to find a house with a 3 car garage. So far I can't find any on the market in my area. And I'm staying away from anything that is in a subdivision. It's hard to find a decent size 2 car. Plus I'm having a issue finding a garage that has the wiring ran right so that I can run a decent size air compressor and or a welder lol

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Considering the state you live in, a Barn is best with concrete floor. Or .25 acre and build concrete pad. Eff 3 car when you can have a parking lot, to work on.
Been looking MYSELF, just harder to do in CA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's hard to do around here too. Just to find a decent house with enough land to do something like that is outrageous

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Detroit,and your state plus a few others go for $8k U.S.D for a house. It's a old crack house, but fixer upper is there.
Been looking at land 2k-8k will get you land easy. Buy a ship container for 1k U.S.D. park it on your land. A steady job is harder than finding a house.
My honest option is find a house, with a long drive way, you can do anything with a jack and jack stands.
Don't need a garage it's nice...but not a must.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I have a 2 car garage in a HOA, HOA isn't bad if you know the president!. But I cant wait to retire and move to either a 3 car or 4 car garage. 2 SRT's take up all the room in my garage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll see the issue with that is where do I store the car? My srt is strictly a drag car and I really don't want it to sit outside haha also where would you keep all your tools my gal would kill me if I put my tools in the house. I just want something that I have enough room to work on the car. But at the same time having a nice long driveway and a decent size garage would be a perfect combo to have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 2.5 car garage and right now I have my srt4, wife's Miata, and my buddy's mr2 project in it and there's still room towards the rear of the garage for 8 feet of cabinets, a welder, two big tool boxes. And on the left side of all the cars there is a cherry picker and engine stand. My car is on wheel dollies and tucked up agains the wall which gives my wife room to get in and out of her car to drive on nice days. In a few years I'm planning on building a new house and a 3000 sq ft garage so I can fit everything I need! We still have three cars in the driveway currently lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 2.5 car garage and right now I have my srt4, wife's Miata, and my buddy's mr2 project in it and there's still room towards the rear of the garage for 8 feet of cabinets, a welder, two big tool boxes. And on the left side of all the cars there is a cherry picker and engine stand. My car is on wheel dollies and tucked up agains the wall which gives my wife room to get in and out of her car to drive on nice days. In a few years I'm planning on building a new house and a 3000 sq ft garage so I can fit everything I need! We still have three cars in the driveway currently lol
see now thats the kinda setup i want lol

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
2Car garage works but very tight quarters.
I found my beach spot, 1-2 years were buying a house. It wll be the last move for us. Good luck O.P. it's tough.. Never give up there's 51million, that want what you have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts