Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which forum this should be in but...

When I purchased my 04 in 04, the original owner had swapped in a Momo Steering Wheel and Adapter deleting the air bag. At that time I didn't use the car for any sort of daily driving, so it didn't bother me that I didn't have a horn.

Fast forward to now, I've been driving this more in the nice weather (I'm almost to a whopping 7500 miles on the odometer) and started to desire having a horn, rather than waving my arm at people or revving the motor to say "hello" to people.

I took off my aftermarket wheel and hub to find that there were no real wires back there to connect to. I assume the horn wiring was built into the airbag module. I don't see the traditional yellow wiring there. The only plug there that is not plugged into anything is a green and red long 8 (or so) wire plug that only has 3 wires plugged into it.

So I have a few questions I hope you can help me with:

1) What is that plug for?

2) Which oem wires are used for the horn?

3) If it was tied to the air bag module, where can I locate the needed wires now?

4) Lastly, is there a "How To" on hooking up the factory horn with an aftermarket wheel?

Thanks in advance all.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searched and found a few threads with the same questions..but no answers at all.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do the turn signals auto cancel when you make a turn? If not then you are missing the clock spring, which would also be why you don't see any wires to attach the horn to.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no caneling turns either. Makes sense thought that its all part of the clockspring.

I assume that they are all the same on all the 00-05 neons, so I'll see if I can grab one from the yard or something. Probably outragously priced from the dealer.

Anyone have a picture of the unit and how it installs/hooks up?
Will I even be able to mount it in place with the aftermarket wheel and hub?

I'll figure it out when I hit the yard, but its nice to know in advance.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I have the same steering wheel

I have my horn hooked up ill get u everything u need with pics tomarrow after 5 east coast time im pretty sure i jus went from the yellow wire and hooked it up to the horn wire on the momo wheel and voila...

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good 9199st. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I went to the junkyard today and pulled apart a SXT neon's steering column assembly.
I did find what I assume is the "clock spring" assembly. And the green plug with red security clip (that I mentioned in my opening post) was plugged into this. So like Boost Leak said, I was just missing that piece.

So I removed the assmbly along with the green plug (not that I'll need the plug) and brought it home. (see pics below). The Clock Spring assembly has 4 wires coming out of it.

1) The first is a thick black wire with a white end on it. This was attached to the back of the air bag assembly. I broke it off when I moved the blown air bag out of the way.

2) & 3) The two center wires both contain 2 wires, 1 white and 1 black. The end at a black female clip. These were attached to [damaged] black plastic things on the sides of the blown air bag. One to each side. I disconnected them from the broken assemblies.

4) The fourth is a thin black wire that lead to a pressed-in (with plastic stake), two sided union clip. The exiting side had a white wire that ran from the two side clip into the air bag assembly. It was held by a white zip tie to the assembly. The wire (where I ended up cutting it) went under a metal strip on the top of the air bag. It looked like the four attaching screws that went through that strip held all the layers of the air bag assembly together. The wire wire slipped under that and went into a large, thin paid (that appeared to be like computer ribbon only oval and much larger). I should have taken a picture of that. I assume the white wire was connected to that thin pad.

As you can see in the picture above, the green plug is has 7 slots, of which 5 are used (in this particular one from the junk yard).
Left to Right:

Slot 1: Green w/ Blue Stripe
Slot 2: Black w/ Blue Stripe
Slot 3: empty
Slot 4: empty
Slot 5: Black w/ Red Stripe
Slot 6: Red w/ Green Stripe
Slot 7: Black (solid)

So, here are some new questions.
(Assuming I can just slip the clock spring into place as stock)

1) Is there a proper way to install this assembly? Any tips or specifics?
The label has some installation notes in red (three lines) on the top that read:
Installation: Do Not Rotate this assembly without the steering wheel
installed and the steering column connected to the steering gear
To begin the recentering procedure >>>----------------->
And three lines in red on the bottom that read:
Service: This assembly is not serviceable, in the event
of failure remove complete assembly. Do not remove or reinstall
assembly unless roadwheels are in straight ahead position
2) I'm guessing that wires 1-3 from the clock spring has something to do with the airbag, while wire 4 (thin black) is for the horn. Is this correct?

3) If installed, will this cancel the turn signals? How does that work?

4) My aftermarket wheel has two male prongs on the back of the center "button". How do I hook this up and make the horn functional again?

Thanks in advance for the continued help guys!

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
morning bump for some more input

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. Bump for more input

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the pic strokedracer05.
If I understand correctly...

1) The clock spring assembly does need to be reinstalled in place in order to have horn functionality (at least to use the black/white wire).

2) The horn runs from the center steering wheel cap wire (or spade) to the black/white wire on the clock spring assembly (shown in my picture on the right hand side).

3) Even with the clock spring in place, there will be no turn-signal cancellation.

MORE QUESTIONS

A) If # 3 is true, then it really doesn't matter how (the orientation) the clock spring is installed. Is that correct?
B) If #1 is false, can I bypass the clock spring completely and just tie into one of the wires on the plug? I would assume so, but which one? Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bump for insite

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Yes you lose the turn signal cancellation....and i took all of that junk out of there and i just ran the horn wire direct moreless...ill try and see what info i can gather today for you bro if i can.wrks been busy and it "seems like it rains wen i do get a chance

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx.

Were you able to bypass the entire clock spring assembly? Or did you have to leave that in place to connect to the black/white wire?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Read through that whole thread. Looks like Mopar_blake's pictures from the opening post would have answered a few questions, unfortunately they have been deleted. I sent him a PM and asked if he could "re-up" the pics. Hopefully he will come through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts