Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, about a week ago my horn came on for 2 hours (i was not home) at 2-4am. AAA disconnected the battery. A few days later while i was home i went out and connected it just for it to just continuously honk again so replaced the relay, didnt fix. I then checked the horn switch and everything was fine, so i put it back together and disconnected the battery.
I tried again a few days later to figure it out and connected the battery. BAM nothing. horn was off, everything was working fine....for an hour. I heard a honk, just one. ignored it, 10 minutes later, another honk.
I decided to go out and sit by my car to see if it was indeed my car again. Took about 5 minutes to hear a very small honk, as if you locked a door with the key fob. Another 5 minutes and it honked again. Took out the relay and left it.
Any help? i have no idea whats going on.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
nope, no lights or signals.
I may be wrong, but i believe the circuit for the horn is very basic. switch---relay---horn.

obviously the horn works... you say you replaced the relay, and odds are a replacement isnt going to do the exact same thing as a faulty relay, so we can rule that out. That just leaves the switch. and by switch, i mean the part behind the airbag that actually sends the signal to the relay (and the horn) telling it to sound off. If this is in fact the issue, it isnt very surprising. Consider that the horn and airbag spin every time you turn the wheel, which over time causes wear on the wiring for those electronics. Generally it is the clockspring that fails.

mopar part is a bit pricey, but you may be able to find an aftermarket one that works fine for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be wrong, but i believe the circuit for the horn is very basic. switch---relay---horn.

obviously the horn works... you say you replaced the relay, and odds are a replacement isnt going to do the exact same thing as a faulty relay, so we can rule that out. That just leaves the switch. and by switch, i mean the part behind the airbag that actually sends the signal to the relay (and the horn) telling it to sound off. If this is in fact the issue, it isnt very surprising. Consider that the horn and airbag spin every time you turn the wheel, which over time causes wear on the wiring for those electronics. Generally it is the clockspring that fails.

mopar part is a bit pricey, but you may be able to find an aftermarket one that works fine for you.
thank you, ill try to replace the switch with an oem part, if it doesnt work im going to blow up the car haha

·
Super Moderator
15,658 Posts
Uses the exact same part as any 03-05 neon, in fact it might even be 99 and above neon, so might find what you need a a junkyard.

Or just leave it on, and when you are in traffic yell out your window "GO SPORTS TEAM!!"

Ha ha, Brian Regan...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts