Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure especally you west coast guys have seen how damn hot the hood gets after a shutdown. To hot to touch for more than 1/2 a second just seems to hot to expect the hood paint to be the same color after a few years of that. I'm going to remove the hood weather seal to see if that will keep things a little cooler under there. I wonder if a hood silencer pad would make it worse? Maybe opening the hood scoop a bit? Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Few people have removed the weather strip from the hood and the heat distorted the plastic cowl...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

for the advice. I'll leave the seal in place. I got an idea that may help. Like a turbo timer that keeps the car running for a bit, how about a device that will turn on or keep your electric fans running for 15 minutes or so after a shutdown. That would have to cool things down faster. I'll check the manual and see if there is a way to force them on without much trouble. You would have to build a timer so they would shut off before it drained your battery. I think some cars already have that feature built in.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've been thinking about the hood paint situation for a while now. Didn't really want to put one of those reflective heat sheilds on, but it might be the best option.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Normally when I park the car for a long period of time, like when I get home.... I just pop the hood for a few minutes.....it does wonders for cooling. It amazes me how much heat is retained.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
how can you tell the paint is being affected? i noticed right by my scoop that the black paint has a sort of yellow strip in it, mixed in with the black, around the top of the scoop...

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
mopar1 said:
for the advice. I'll leave the seal in place. I got an idea that may help. Like a turbo timer that keeps the car running for a bit, how about a device that will turn on or keep your electric fans running for 15 minutes or so after a shutdown. That would have to cool things down faster. I'll check the manual and see if there is a way to force them on without much trouble. You would have to build a timer so they would shut off before it drained your battery. I think some cars already have that feature built in.
The cars that do that do it to cool the radiator. The coolant continues to flow through the cooling system after the engine is shut down (there is a word for it but I forgot what it is). I don't know why we don't have that 'feature', but I've never seen a Neon run it's fan without the key switch being 'on'.
That's a good idea, and I would start by looking at the 'fan switch mod'. A couple guys do this mod so they can run the fans while in the staging lanes at the track, without the engine running (and being over 205 degrees). Fan switch mod+programmable delay relay setup would do what you're thinking.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Port out the scoop insert a lot. The opening is pinched down so that even I can't stick my finger through it. And I'm just a kid!

·
Registered
741 Posts
All my other cars have a pad with a aluminum cover that reflects the heat back to the engine. You could try to design one for the SRT-4. Hey, if its good enough you could even sell it. I agree with you about the temperature affecting the color. All turbos tend to heat up the hoods pretty good. Starions and Grand Nationals do that very well.

Percy

·
Registered
676 Posts
what if you were to under coat the hood with say a type of lynx or something that would help contain the heat.

·
Registered
796 Posts
mopar1 said:
how about a device that will turn on or keep your electric fans running for 15 minutes or so after a shutdown. That would have to cool things down faster. I'll check the manual and see if there is a way to force them on without much trouble. You would have to build a timer so they would shut off before it drained your battery. I think some cars already have that feature built in.
eh.... i wouldnt recomend. electric fans really eat up your battery fast. i know, i installed one in my 5 slow. i would let it be. i mean the factorty would have done something about it if it were to pose as a serious problem. my advice, get a turbo timer or if you dont want to spend the money, then just keep the car running after your done driving for a minute or 2.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Epix said:
eh.... i wouldnt recomend. electric fans really eat up your battery fast. i know, i installed one in my 5 slow. i would let it be. i mean the factorty would have done something about it if it were to pose as a serious problem. my advice, get a turbo timer or if you dont want to spend the money, then just keep the car running after your done driving for a minute or 2.

turbo timer is a good way to keep the turbo from cooking the oil... it does nothing for actually decreasing ambient temperatures under the hood.

I think that having the electrical fans running after shutting off the ignition would be a great idea... its one of the things I did with my GTP. It really helps reduce heat soak.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I got an idea why doent somone just come up with a way to redirect their ac vents into the engine bay!!! I mean who cares about being comfortable, we are simply expendable beings while the car on the other hand is an SRT. I want my baby to be comfortable. They more comfortable I can make her the fun she gives back in return *wink*wink*

·
Registered
382 Posts
bmxking45 said:
I got an idea why doent somone just come up with a way to redirect their ac vents into the engine bay!!! I mean who cares about being comfortable, we are simply expendable beings while the car on the other hand is an SRT. I want my baby to be comfortable. They more comfortable I can make her the fun she gives back in return *wink*wink*

I have my Girlfriend fan my engine down with a Palm tree leaf 3 or 4 times a day, depending on how many times I drive it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts