Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally a day to play with my new toy.!
Did some 0-60's and finally took a good look under the hood etc. They really skimped on paint :evil:

Anyways, as ppointed out by ED, the stock scoop points downwards, and is a waste of good airflow, so I cut about half of the rear lip off. See the nice openings now? Air can flow straight back unrestricted now.
No comments on how nasty my car is :!: :!:
Before ( right side)
After Left side

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/calimark/Hood%20Mod/

Both sides

Hood with scoop removed

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can u see them? I can

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I took a band saw and cut the rear of the hood scoop off. I then sent it to my machinest to make. The only difference is that one of the louvers will be directed at a 45 so it can direct air towards the cold intake mod section.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't forget guys, often these type of things are "optical illusions." We often don't think about the engineering that goes into a vehicle before production. It may seem like cutting a bigger hole may be better, but I am sure that PVO has engineered the hood scoop to provide the best flow at a given speed. All of these types of parts (hood scoop and airbox with filter) have been flow-tested to provide the best airflow. It's like people who put a big fan on the top of their computer case assuming that heat rises and a big fan on top should draw out the heat. Often this is a good "theory" but when tested does not actually help at all (sometimes it will hinder proper airflow.)

You may possibly be decreasing the amount of airflow because of turbulance. I'm not saying you are definitely, but you may be making it worse...

- :) Sam

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Samel_Camel said:
Don't forget guys, often these type of things are "optical illusions." We often don't think about the engineering that goes into a vehicle before production. It may seem like cutting a bigger hole may be better, but I am sure that PVO has engineered the hood scoop to provide the best flow at a given speed. All of these types of parts (hood scoop and airbox with filter) have been flow-tested to provide the best airflow. It's like people who put a big fan on the top of their computer case assuming that heat rises and a big fan on top should draw out the heat. Often this is a good "theory" but when tested does not actually help at all (sometimes it will hinder proper airflow.)

You may possibly be decreasing the amount of airflow because of turbulance. I'm not saying you are definitely, but you may be making it worse...

- :) Sam
Sam,
I tried to convince my self for a while that what they had was right, but I cannot see how...take a good look at yours, pull it out and look at the
hood itself.

Let me/us know what you think.

cali

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know. I've seen it. I'll give you my opinion about it, but this is just my opinion. It looks like it was engineered that way to force water downward (in case it's raining). The water will be forced down and will drain out, but the air will continue to flow to the back. It looks like a "balance" between protection from water as well as air flow. Opening it up MAY give you more air flow, but make you susceptible to water problems.

It's kind of a guessing game.

Good luck!

-Sam :wink:

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah...I thought about that too. and here is my engineering point :roll:

The way the hood slopes when closed, will allow water to go back there if and only if you are travelling at very fasst speds, which you should not be doing if its raining.

cali

1 - 12 of 12 Posts