Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to begin the hood mod on my car. Has anybody else done it yet? If so, what method did you use to make sure the hood hole lined up with the airbox hole.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Dan to Dan,

i say do the hood side of the mod and place some weatherstripping on the edge of the opening so that it does the same duty as on a door perse. Then get yourself ehhh something that you can put on weatherstip so that when u close the hood it leaves an imprint of how u should cut the intake box cover..hope u understood that

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i'd also consider getting a second airbox top. and once you cut your airbox top you might want to consider a plastic flap or something on the inside of the airbox to direct any water that might get in to the right side of the box so that it can drain out. just some thoughts

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
attn everyone new neon airboxes have a drail hole in the bottom but its only so big

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the air box cover has a 3 inch hole on the underside. You have to cut it there. So the trick is to mark the hood where the airbox hole is. I've got some marking chalk, and I plan to use something (not sure what yet) to mark the position on the hood.

Thanks.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
do as i said except reverse it...put the weather strip on the intake box hole and then use something to leave a mark on the hood

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
drolander, did you get a K&N yet? That will insure that you don't suck any water in. K&N air filters are specially designed for this. The factory cheapo will let water in. Make sure you get the K&N filter before you do the mod. What are you going to use to cut the hood with? I'm waiting for the weather to break before I do this mod, but IMO it's a must have. It's virtually FREE!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of this?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I don't think getting water inside will be to much of an issue. It will not really affect the car. ON my supra I have a TRD type hood. It has a large vent right above the airfilter. I have driven the car though monsoons with no problems. I had a Greddy Airnix in it.

I know the performance market is going to jump on making a "cold air intake," etc. I dont suggest you remove the black box. The car has a temp sensor that reads ambient air before it enters the intake. As far as mods, I recommend only the PVO type mod with a K&N. NO heat entering the airfilter. That should work great.

Acr, good tip on getting the pieces to line up. YOu guys can use a 3" holesaw to cut a hole in the hood. Then go back with your dremel or a file to get ride of the burrs and make it look nice.

Hector

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got the hole cut in the airbox lid. I put weatherstripping around the hole, put a little blue marking chalk on the top (with the hole plugged so no chalk got in the airbox), shut the hood, and it marked the hood perfectly. Will cut the hole in the hood tonight.

The hole in the airbox pretty much lines up perfectly with the bubble in the hood tho', so the marking probably isn't even necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts