Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made a set of custom foglight covers. Used the stock plastic foglight surround, glued a piece of thin lexan to it and painted to match with a SRT stencil. :)

EDIT:

Due to a couple of requests, here's a quick how-to. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures during the process, but this is basically how it was done:

Items Needed:

- A couple of Lexan sheets. You can get them from hardware stores. Each about the size of a sheet of paper, and get the thinnest one since it needs to be flexible.

- A good plastic adhesive. Use Plastic-Weld or something similar.

- Cutting tool (I used a dremel with a cutting wheel, but a small hacksaw would work too. A band saw would be ideal if you have access to one).

- Can of primer, paint (whatever colours you want), clear coat

- Sand paper (600, 800, 1000, 1500 grit)

- Envelope labels (or similar)

- Sharp knife

- Heat gun

- Clamps

- Hand proctection (gloves or oven mitts)

Procedure:

1. Pop out your plastic fog light surround with a flat-head screwdriver.

2. Lay the plastic surround face-down on one of the lexan sheets and trace the outline onto the lexan with a marker.

3. Clamp the 2 lexan sheets together.

4. Cut around your outline with a dremel or saw. When done, you should have 2 identical foglight covers.

5. You will notice that the stock foglight surround is not flat, rather the face has a slight curve. Heat up the cut-out with the heat gun (only a little bit - stop when the lexan starts to turn cloudy), then grab your gloves and while the lexan is hot, carefully bend it to acheive the same contour as the stock foglight surround. Take it easy and repeat the heating/bending procedure a few times till you get approximately the same curve.

6. Clean up the edges of the cut-outs with the rough grit sandpaper. Also rough up the back face of the cut-outs where it will contact the stock surround.

7. Mix the plastic epoxy and spread a little bit on the stock surround. Press the cut-out onto the surround and clamp it till the epoxy sets.

8. After the epoxy is set, rough-up the front face of the cut-out with sandpaper (use a lighter grit), and lay down a few coats of primer.

9. Spray 3-4 coats of your chosen base colour. Give the paint a day to dry.

10. Now make your stencil. Find an image you want to use and print it out on the envelope label. Here is the one I used:

11. Cut out the lettering with your knife.

12. Stick the stencil onto the foglight cover; make sure you press it down well.

13. Mask off any other exposed areas then lay down 2-3 coats of colour for the letters.

14. Let the paint dry well, then remove the masking. Wet sand the cover with 800 grit (there may be some residue from the labels, it will be removed by sanding). Sand lightly with 1000 & 1500 grit to get a nice smooth finish.

15. Spray 2-3 coats of clear. You can wet-sand in between coats for a smoother finish. It's up to you but not entirely necessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Those are cool and look nice but why does every one remove there fog lights??

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only removed my foglights because one was busted. Threw these on while I think of something else to upgrade them with.

·
SRTForums Member, 2011 Calendar Car, SRT of the Mo
7,865 Posts
Looks great man!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
they look awesome....... i think black will look much better...
----thumbs up for custom fog covers:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks good! I'm definitely planning on doing this now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice indeed...you should write up a "how to" and post it up.
X2. I would delete mine, but I need them here in England for now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am definitely interested in a "How To" on this. That looks sweet.

·
SRTForums Member, 2011 Calendar Car
2,141 Posts
agreed this looks sick but I need to show off my PIAA fog lights!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts