Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a hissing noise when I start getting on my car. Like when I start getting into boost I hear a hissing noise like right at my firewall.
I'm running lean at idle checked to see if any bolt were loose on my exhaust, all good, I'm thinking maybe my exhaust manifold gasket is done, or even worse could it be a cracked manifold? Would a cracked manifold make that hissing noise?

·
Registered
345 Posts
You should know any exhaust leak sound when you hear it, and it should be apparent at idle. Id say if the hissing is only happening under boost, and is coming from the firewall area, your coupler on the compressor discharge... Boost leak test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
@ 05' White Srt- Did you ever figure out the issue? I have the exact same hissing noise and can't seem to figure out the issue as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I heard that to on mine but it was at idle and i tried to see if there was a loose vacuum line and it took me forever! It could be your wastegate pressure line try that. stupid srt4's :tongue:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine has been doing it for about 2 weeks now and It is driving me crazy. Anytime I get anywhere near boost it just hisses like crazy and can really hear it after a shift and getting on it again. Please if anyone figures this out please send me a private message or post on this thread. Boost Leak tester comes today so that might help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do your boost leak test when your tester gets here, guarantee you will find your problem. If you hear it blowing air and hissing when you get close to and at boost, obviously it's going to be a boost leak. Same goes to the other few in this thread with the same problem. Without doing a proper boost leak test, your gonna have a hell of a time figuring exactly where it's coming from, and it could very well be more than one place.

Even though it sounds like its right by the firewall, it could very well be any of the vacuum lines under the intake/battery. If one of them blew off or has a good leak, it's still going to sound like its by the firewall since it's still right in front of you while driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boost leak tested, found 2 tiny leaks one on the throttle body air line. Fixed that by clamping it. The other one was on the middle selinoid, Fix that as well. No more leaks but still have that annoying air flutter. I did notice that one of the bolts was missing on the driver side that goes through both heat shields into the turbo manifold. I was wondering if that could be my issue.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Boost leak tested, found 2 tiny leaks one on the throttle body air line. Fixed that by clamping it. The other one was on the middle selinoid, Fix that as well. No more leaks but still have that annoying air flutter. I did notice that one of the bolts was missing on the driver side that goes through both heat shields into the turbo manifold. I was wondering if that could be my issue.
Nope.

When I think of a "hissing noise" I think PCV valve or intake manifold gasket. But yeah, boost leak test will find that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Annoying air flutter would tell me the BOV unit may have a bad hose/diaphagm. The factory manual I once had, mentions something about "horse laugh" sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, Air flutter was the wrong term, and it's not even close to a horse laugh. It's rally more of a hissing noise and it gets louder the more you get on it. I honestly have exausted everything I know. I think it's time to go into dodge, even though I'm not sure the tech's will even know.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Where is "Apple Valley" ???

Fine someone local who can help you out.

What "performance" mods do you have on your car? Is it bone stock and just started making this hissing noise? Vacuum/boost lines stock? Check the turbo for shaft play?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm In Apple Valley, Mn about 25 mins south of the twin cities. The car was purchased roughly a year ago with 1,500 miles on it. Everything was original everything no mods, no abuse, barely driven 04' Srt-4 (great find) roughly about 2 months ago I started doing a few mods. The first was the AEM CAI- nothing wrong here. Next was a MPX 3' TBE and 3' 02 housing. No issues here. Then about a week ago I changed the plugs and wires to magnecore wires and NGK plugs and took it out for a drive. After the plugs and wires got changed the car ran amazing everything was perfect. Oh and btw I have a DST with the 93 tune installed. Then last saturday I drove the car about 30 minutes to a hockey game out in the cities. After the game I got in to drive home and didn't drive more than 30 feet before I could hear a Air noise on the passanger side of the cabin anytime I hit the gas. The noise got louder with more boost and is really noticable during acceleration after a shift. It's been like this sense. I have boost leak tested I have tightened and tried different clamps I have tried everything I can personally think of and nothing will fix it. Checked the Trubo and no shaft play. The car currently has 17,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts