Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
MikeCandler said:
Tell Cox you can not run higher comp pistons on a turbo car...its all in the tune and how you set up the car. Though low compression IS safer it is not better.

You could get some JE's which I think are 8.8:1 or some thing close to that mark, either way they are higher than stock yet still a safe level :).
Sure you can run higher compression ratio...you can run anything you want, but like you said, it's all in the tune. Most high powered hondas run 9.5 cr. Higher compression ratio will provide a more efficent use of the amount of gasoline you use. Meaning 400hp on a high comp/low boost motor will require less fuel than 400hp on a low comp/high boost motor.

The negative is that a low comp/high boost motor will make more power based off of the specific octane you are running. If you are building a race car, or a car that will only see C16, this is not an issue, because the octane will take care of whatever boost pressure you want (too an extent) regardless of the higher compression. For someone building a street car that will rarely, if ever, see race gas. Low compression is usually the best choice because (to paraphrase) low comp/high boost will make more power on 93 octane than high comp/lower boost will.

If you run race gas exclusively, then high compression/high boost is the way to go ;)

One more thing - high compression means higher cylinder pressures at the same horsepower. No one on here is really pushing the limits of the engine cylinder pressure wise so it probably doesn't matter to you, but it is another thing to take into account.

HTH.

/Mark

· Registered
87 Posts
drewsrt said:
higher compression pistons would be fine im my opinion. Something just a little bit higher. Also since when do most high powered hondas run 9.5 compression ratio? Anyway I've thought about this also but I dont think id do it if i was going to upgrade the turbo.....but id up the CR just a titty bit to get more power out of the stocker. I did read in a magazine (SCC i think) that the prototype srt motor had around 8.6- 8.7:1 or something like that. Made 15 more hp stock. It's in the article about the srt-4 vs boosted svt focus.
The 832whp 2.0 liter B18C1, 689whp B18C1, 522whp H22, 2 430ish whp D16s I've helped with or built...and future 600ish whp B16A, and 500whp K20 I'm building all do... :dunno:

· Registered
87 Posts
drewsrt said:
oooooooh thoooooose....wouldnt it be called a b20c1? lol anyway most of the ones ive seen are running around 9 or a little less. You said "most" and well that's what ive seen...then again im not around honda's too much except for a few buddies so i could be wrong. Anyway what's up with the low k20 number? If you can get 430 out of a d16 im sure u could pump more out of that thing if u really tried ;)
B20 is already an engine (out of a CRV) Thin cylinder walls, doesn't take to power too well. The motor I'm speaking of is a sleeved b18 big bore. Technically you can call it a b20, but then there is confusion.

About the K20 number...I make what numbers the customer tells me to make :) Also I don't know if anyone has made 500whp out of a K20 yet...then again I haven't looked into it either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.