Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo my 05 Neon SRT has 24k miles on it and will be 16 years old in September. Still has the original timing belt on it. Plan on replacing that along with cam seals/tensioner/idler pulley/waterpump. I want to make sure the motor is in good shape. Compression test and leak down test good idea prior?

4th mount? Good idea to replace that? The one on the passenger side. Go OEM or aftermarket?

What else would be good to replace while everything is out with the timing belt job?

I believe since I have a 50 trim turbo the turbo charger will need to come off of the manifold due to clearance when jacking the motor up? :(

I just want my Neon to be running great. It seems to have been slacking lately and I am not sure what it is. I know the original and prior owner had a horrible tune on it with vacuum lines ran wrong. I have since fixed that years ago but I feel like the motor is not up to par. I want this car to be very strong since it is my "special" one.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
59 Posts
Wow man 24k miles? That’s phenomenal.
I’d replace the water pump/timing belt/tensioner/seals and serpentine belts and of course the 4th (middle mount) while you’re in there. I just did all that to mine couple years ago ( only put 3k miles since) and replaced the 4th mount with an OEM but if I’d do it again I’d get a solid mount because the rubber will wear out eventually over time and cause the motor to hang a low. A new Hondata IM gasket is good and seals well. Maybe valve cover gasket too? A compression test isnt a bad idea. At 144k original miles mine came to 180psi on all 4 cylinders surprisingly. I had mine since Jan 2012 and was my daily driver until 2016 all stock except intake and W/G. Left it in the the garage until late 2019 and all of sudden I threw a BUNCH of new maintenance parts to it weather or not it needed it because I love my Neon and it isn’t going anywhere.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh just a number. I snatched it with 14k miles on it like 3-4 years ago. I mean if the OEM rubber one lasts a good 10 years I am good with that.
Very nice compression numbers. When I did mine a couple years ago it was only 120 in all 4. It was when it was cold out and I have a very small battery in the car so not sure if the numbers would change much.
Good move, keep em alive. I wish mine was stock turbo honestly. Been through a lot of BS with this AGP 50 trim turbo.

·
Registered
2004 Eblue SRT-4
59 Posts
Yea the OEM is made to last a long time. As long as your compression is within the same then it’s considered fine just no lower then 110. Maybe you can try a regular battery and have the car a little warm when doing it. I did mine one spark plug out at a time, then on to the next while putting the previous one back in. Yea one of the many reasons why I didn’t go big turbo, is the farther away from stock equals more problems but that’s not always the case...most importantly CA is just very strict on cars. But yea I’m actually saving up for a Viper! The neon needs the papa lol.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Other than a tuneup, timing belt, after market mounts (4) and moog problem solver lower control arms
Maybe a fuel pump if you plan on driving it
At that low mileage motor is fine

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than a tuneup, timing belt, after market mounts (4) and moog problem solver lower control arms
Maybe a fuel pump if you plan on driving it
At that low mileage motor is fine
Vehicle has a Walbro 255 that was put in by original owner in like 2007 or so. He also did the AGP Returnline kit and RC 750cc injectors at that time. I had the injectors cleaned a year or so ago which fixed a slight misfire issue. Not sure if I need to change the fuel setup or not. Car has energy suspension bushings all around. Not sure when he did that. Hahaha. Not really a fan of the ENERGY LCA's honestly. They seem a bit soft.
Yea the OEM is made to last a long time. As long as your compression is within the same then it’s considered fine just no lower then 110. Maybe you can try a regular battery and have the car a little warm when doing it. I did mine one spark plug out at a time, then on to the next while putting the previous one back in. Yea one of the many reasons why I didn’t go big turbo, is the farther away from stock equals more problems but that’s not always the case...most importantly CA is just very strict on cars. But yea I’m actually saving up for a Viper! The neon needs the papa lol.
I would love to have a Viper myself. Dream car. 2008-2010. But the values just keep going up on them. /end offtopic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts