Dodge SRT Forum banner

Help! Oil coming out of places it shouldn’t!!

3K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Simon.Starkie 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I have a 05 srt4 with bws turbo, agp adjustable waist gate, mpx catch can, 50mm tial blow off, and mopar oil pressure gauge with aem boost and wide band gauges. Cold air intake ofc. My vent on the drivers side of my valve cover is pushing out oil, chocolate oil if you must. I’m not sure why im pretty sure that’s supposed to be under vacuum. Went to drain my catch can and I got a little tinkle of just straight gas. The car does idle funny also, thinking iac. Any help or suggestions as to why it’s pushing out oil like it is would be awesome. Thanks!

#6 ·
I'd consider blow by to be a possibility. Compression test followed by leak down would rule out piston rings.

Bad rings though would allow gas in oil and can cause sludge to exit the breather. Additionally, it may affect idle.

Any chance you got blue exhaust smoke when you rev it?

#9 ·
What do you mean by rig it in there? on the 2004-2005 valve cover it just twists into the hole on the passengers side of the valve cover and then connects to the vacuum line running to the throttle body. In your case it would probably go passenger side valve cover > PCV valve > MPX Catch Can > Throttle Body. You're correct that the drivers side valve cover nipple goes to the intake in stock configuration to provide vacuum, and most CAI have a nipple for that to keep it working as intended, if not some people will vent to atmosphere.

#16 ·
No. Some oil escaping is normal (very very small amounts, like drops... during spirited driving), but it should not be pushing oil out or making a mess. Since you've [ghetto] rigged up your PCV, consider checking to ensure it's functioning properly. If it's not working (remember, PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation), then higher than normal crankcase pressures could cause oil to leave via the driver side breather (make up air). I'd still consider the compression test (takes 20 minutes only...). The gas in your oil makes me think this isn't just crank case ventilation. Gas in your oil is almost always indicative of bad rings (how else did it leave the combustion chamber?).

#21 ·
The PCV valve is useful even if you dont have to pass emissions. Using the valve to re-route the oily air either though a catch can or into the intake keeps the engine cleaner. There has to be a restriction in the system or blow-by. can you block both ends and put a pressure gauge on it, see how many inches of water its building.

#22 ·
Where is the oil at that you're saying is chocolate-like? i know you said its coming out of the drivers side of the valve cover, but is it going into a catch can, or an intake, or vented to atmosphere?

Give us a picture of how you're PCV is done up.

Ok here is my $0.02, for what its worth...
Every year.... every year... around this time when the weather starts turning cold, i see posts from all different vehicle owners about discolored oil in places on the top end of their motors... inside oil cap, in catch cans etc etc. and it almost always is simply condensation from the cold weather and hot engine. and Absolutely nothing to worry about.... This may very well be your "issue."

Furthermore, to the question about whether or not you even need to run a PCV... the question is more so, how much do you like the environment. Many cars from the days of old vented to atmosphere or dripped to the road. My car has been setup this way for years.... Is it recommended?... no. Does it work? sure. In fact i'm currently working on a way to vent even more to the atmosphere... haha. There is some proof that more power can be had from a vacuum being placed on the valve cover vent, but I'd rather keep the oil away from my turbo inlet, or my intake manifold. And catch cans only serve to catch the oil i can just let drip on the road..... im a bad environmentalist.

Reactions: lilviper
#23 ·
Thank you this is what I was looking for. The chocolate oil is pushed out of vent on the driver side valve cover. I have a hose attached to it with a filter on the end of it. Nothing really comes out of the catch can and if it does it’s usually a little bit of water. Well what looks to be water. I’ll post a picture of my set up here shortly

#32 ·
when is the last time you changed the breather filter? if it is clogged full of oil, you will be making your problem worse.

the reason why the OEM setup was PCV to Intake manifold and also right side (breather) port to the factory air box was to keep the crank case constantly in vacuum as the car was running, removing gases from the crank case to be re-consumed and burned by the engine during operation. In vac, the motor pulls these gases through the intake manifold line directly to the head and valves. When in boost, vacuum is created on the inlet side of the turbo accomplishing the same goal.

This is why many will recommend two catch cans if you are concerned about too much oil making its way into your intercooler or just running a line directly to your aftermarket intake in the manner it was designed. So long as your PCV is working properly, you shouldn't ever really end up with much in your catch can.

When your breather is clogged and not flowing not only will your engine have to work harder to evacuate the gases in the crank case, but much more fluid will end up in your catch cans and not be consumed by the motor. I think that the watery gas you're seeing is potentially some worn rings that aren't seating well until warm and allowing some fuel vapors to mix with oil vapors and condensation in the catch can you have. I would recommend picking up a cheap catch can (or follow a how-to on here on how to make one yourself) and hook that right sided line back to your air intake and see if you notice a reduction in what the tanks are catching.

Also a leak down and compression test couldn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.