Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So I have a 05 srt4 with bws turbo, agp adjustable waist gate, mpx catch can, 50mm tial blow off, and mopar oil pressure gauge with aem boost and wide band gauges. Cold air intake ofc. My vent on the drivers side of my valve cover is pushing out oil, chocolate oil if you must. I’m not sure why im pretty sure that’s supposed to be under vacuum. Went to drain my catch can and I got a little tinkle of just straight gas. The car does idle funny also, thinking iac. Any help or suggestions as to why it’s pushing out oil like it is would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd consider blow by to be a possibility. Compression test followed by leak down would rule out piston rings.

Bad rings though would allow gas in oil and can cause sludge to exit the breather. Additionally, it may affect idle.

Any chance you got blue exhaust smoke when you rev it?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
What do you mean by rig it in there? on the 2004-2005 valve cover it just twists into the hole on the passengers side of the valve cover and then connects to the vacuum line running to the throttle body. In your case it would probably go passenger side valve cover > PCV valve > MPX Catch Can > Throttle Body. You're correct that the drivers side valve cover nipple goes to the intake in stock configuration to provide vacuum, and most CAI have a nipple for that to keep it working as intended, if not some people will vent to atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
What do you mean by rig it in there? on the 2004-2005 valve cover it just twists into the hole on the passengers side of the valve cover and then connects to the vacuum line running to the throttle body. In your case it would probably go passenger side valve cover > PCV valve > MPX Catch Can > Throttle Body. You're correct that the drivers side valve cover nipple goes to the intake in stock configuration to provide vacuum, and most CAI have a nipple for that to keep it working as intended, if not some people will vent to atmosphere.
Yes...... This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Consider this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean I had to use some fittings to connect the pcv. It’s not attached to the valve cover because some dumb shit decided to screw a aftermarket 90 fitting for shits and giggles to make it look pretty. So I can’t screw a pcv into it

·
Registered
100 Posts
But should that vent be pushing oil out of it? No noticeable blue smoke out of the exhaust.
No. Some oil escaping is normal (very very small amounts, like drops... during spirited driving), but it should not be pushing oil out or making a mess. Since you've [ghetto] rigged up your PCV, consider checking to ensure it's functioning properly. If it's not working (remember, PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation), then higher than normal crankcase pressures could cause oil to leave via the driver side breather (make up air). I'd still consider the compression test (takes 20 minutes only...). The gas in your oil makes me think this isn't just crank case ventilation. Gas in your oil is almost always indicative of bad rings (how else did it leave the combustion chamber?).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. Some oil escaping is normal (very very small amounts, like drops... during spirited driving), but it should not be pushing oil out or making a mess. Since you've [ghetto] rigged up your PCV, consider checking to ensure it's functioning properly. If it's not working (remember, PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation), then higher than normal crankcase pressures could cause oil to leave via the driver side breather (make up air). I'd still consider the compression test (takes 20 minutes only...).
Could I do away with my pcv valve?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts