Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I just got my Trans out and it seems that my flywheel bolts loosened up. The new clutch was only in for 1,000 miles too. I have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with a QuarterMaster clutch. I was worried because there was some back and forth play when i took the flywheel off, so I put the stock flexplate back on and it has the same amount of play in it too. Almost like the bolt holes are too big.
Anyone notice this too?
Should I be concerned or just put new bolts and loctite in, torque it down, and go?
Right now i have the bolts directly against the aluminum flywheel. Should there be a small spacer in there between the bolts and flywheel?

Here are a few pictures....

I don't want to take this out again.
-Dave

·
Registered
608 Posts
The bolt holese do not act like dowel holes so don't be concerned about the size. The pressure of the bolts and the friction of the mating surfaces are what hold the flywheel on and not how tight the bolts fit in the holes. I am not sure what stock torque is supposed to be but we use 50-55 ftlbs and locktite. Keep in mind that aluminum is a bit more slippery than steel so it takes a bit more to hold it on. Good luck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've been told that I should have used the steel thin spacer/disc piece thats on the stock flexplate. So i'm gonna put that on, and also safety-wire the bolts in place. Any one else ever do this?

·
Banned
32,448 Posts
This is why I only sell the "Mopar" bolts with all my flywheel conversions. There is some crap on the bolt threads that keep the bolts from ever coming loose.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ptperformance said:
This is why I only sell the "Mopar" bolts with all my flywheel conversions. There is some crap on the bolt threads that keep the bolts from ever coming loose.
But are they longer Mopar bolts... The bolt must be longer than stock. An aluminum flywheel is over twice as thick as the stock flex plate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just thought i would comment on the bolts coming loose on your quartermaster dave, I talked to adam from Devo tuning and he told me to use EVO VIII flywheel bolts when i installed my Twin Disc on my GVR4, because they are longer, But i didn't have time for that so i used the stock length bolts and didnt have a problem at all with them coming loose.. but then again i didn't put more then 400 miles on the car before it hydro locked, when i took the clutch out they were still tight as can be...

Just my thoughts...
(Even know i am a DSM owner) :tongue:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
fly5150 said:
But are they longer Mopar bolts... The bolt must be longer than stock. An aluminum flywheel is over twice as thick as the stock flex plate.
Buy some 1995 (must be from a 95) Neon Flywheel bolts...they are what you need.

:readclose

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i gave ARP a call and they have longer bolts for the flywheel. i'll have them tomorrow. Never gonna have to worry about them again.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I was going to suggest that the bolts may have been to LONG. They are bottoming out providing a false sense of load/torque when they are not compressing but hit the bottom of the hole.

Marion

·
Registered
608 Posts
mario03srt said:
I was going to suggest that the bolts may have been to LONG. They are bottoming out providing a false sense of load/torque when they are not compressing but hit the bottom of the hole.

Marion
I believe the holes on the SRT are through holes. That is why it is important to use some sort of locking or sealing compound.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they are through holes, i'll take comparison pictures of the stock versus aluminum flywheel and the bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts