Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my buddy bought this car from this stoner fool that threw this car together by himself, apparently it’s got extended gears, anyways we were driving the car and it was very rough, like the clutch didn’t fully Engage but we fixed it with a paper clip cause it was swiveling at the clutch, made it shift perfect. it’s got a stage 3 act clutch and whenever we pressed it down it would make some terrible noises, they weren’t loud but audible, then my friend, who doesn’t really know how to flat foot shift was going from 2nd to third when he put it into third and released the clutch it was like there was no more gears / clutch, the slave cylinder was popped out so we replaced it, didn’t fix the problem, the actual issue is that the car goes into gear clicks and everything but when you release the clutch nothing happens. There isn’t any terrible grinding noises so I didn’t think it was input shaft so I though shift selector, I took it off and it’s fine?, could it be my clutch? Maybe I just need to adjust It I do not know. Please help, the guy we bought it from said there is like less than 10k miles on motor and tranny the engine runs awesome. I’ll post pictures.
Office equipment Office supplies Auto part Gun accessory Cylinder

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Metal

Trunk Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old clutch test -

1. Apply parking brake
  2. Start vehicle
  3. Shift into 1st
  4. Release clutch
The car should stall.
It shifts into each gear while running without me even pressing the clutch I was messing with with the wheels when it was all the way up in the air and when you twist a wheel it sounds like stuff is rattling around in my clutch area and I looked inside my transmission during this and all the gears were moving, you can also stop a wheel as someone turns the other without much resistance thinking differential now cause it’s an 05 and it should be a lsd

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ability to stop one wheel when turning the other does not mean much because there is not real torque being applied to the transmission or differential. The Quaife LSD isn't a locker. Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

The ability to shift gears while the engine is running and without using the clutch means there is no coupling between the engine and the transmission input shaft. So the clutch system has likely failed. Additionally, if, as you say, there is a rattling sound in the clutch housing area, there must be loose or broken pieces involved.

I would be looking to remove the transmission to get a look at the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ability to stop one wheel when turning the other does not mean much because there is not real torque being applied to the transmission or differential. The Quaife LSD isn't a locker. View attachment 149990

The ability to shift gears while the engine is running and without using the clutch means there is no coupling between the engine and the transmission input shaft. So the clutch system has likely failed. Additionally, if, as you say, there is a rattling sound in the clutch housing area, there must be loose or broken pieces involved.

I would be looking to remove the transmission to get a look at the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel.
Your probably right next I’ll pull the transmission if I can’t figure it out

·
Super Moderator
17,416 Posts

Exceptional thread to follow for removing the transmission. You'll want to have a transmission jack.

One of the more difficult things to deal with is the transmission to engine bolt on the backside of the engine just above the speed sensor. You will need a couple of 1/2" extensions to go with your breaker to reach it from the rotor area on the passenger side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jack both wheels off the ground and with the engine running put it in each gear and check to see if the wheels spin

if they don’t, inspect both axles

if both axles are fine, rev up the car in neutral. If it shakes/makes a lot of noise in higher rpm then thats likely the input shaft

if input shaft appears fine, then it’s the clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack both wheels off the ground and with the engine running put it in each gear and check to see if the wheels spin

if they don’t, inspect both axles

if both axles are fine, rev up the car in neutral. If it shakes/makes a lot of noise in higher rpm then thats likely the input shaft

if input shaft appears fine, then it’s the clutch
Haven’t been able to do this off the ground but i revved it up a lot and it made no noise even when I’m in gear, when it broke the slave cylinder was popped out of the insert and was broken I replaced it and it did nothing so the slave pushes the throughout bearing to engage the clutch so I’m thinking this out bearing and it’s making some throwout bearing noises not much chatter but some light grinding when the clutch is pushed in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts