Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill try to make this as short as possible. friend of mine is gunna sell me his aem tru boost. i am stock except for an hks bov. i want to mod my car but i do not repeat do not want any ptb! i want the drivability. i read some stuff on exhaust depot's site and they were saying if you have an ebc that it makes the wga not see all the boost untill it hits the set amount of boost and then the wga opens. this is with an aftermarket wga. i was wondering will i get ptb with a new wga and ebc and could i get away with just doing the ebc?:huh: and yes i do know that since im a stock 03 i need fuel i was thinking of only going up a couple of pounds(16-17) untill i went s1 or at least got s1 injectors. any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ajtbag said:
ill try to make this as short as possible. friend of mine is gunna sell me his aem tru boost. i am stock except for an hks bov. i want to mod my car but i do not repeat do not want any ptb! i want the drivability. i read some stuff on exhaust depot's site and they were saying if you have an ebc that it makes the wga not see all the boost untill it hits the set amount of boost and then the wga opens. this is with an aftermarket wga. i was wondering will i get ptb with a new wga and ebc and could i get away with just doing the ebc?:huh: and yes i do know that since im a stock 03 i need fuel i was thinking of only going up a couple of pounds(16-17) untill i went s1 or at least got s1 injectors. any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
have you ever drivin a car with ptb? a lot of people complain about it to no end around here, but i have it and i have learned to deal with it. part of the hassle of having such a small turbo, anytime you try to up the boost this is going to happen.

if i were you, and i was, i would take care of the overboost codes you are going to throw with the bc and just learn to live with the ptb.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts
ive had ptb for over a year and its not bad to drive with at all
if anything it helps me save gas cause of different driving habits

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hhhmmm. so i will have ptb with the tru boost and new wga right? not what i was hoping to hear. would it still be a good idea to go this route or would a different route be better?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ajtbag said:
hhhmmm. so i will have ptb with the tru boost and new wga right? not what i was hoping to hear. would it still be a good idea to go this route or would a different route be better?
i really dont think its going to matter. either way, when you up the boost, the ptb is going to come out. its really not that bad, i have to stay under 45% throttle for normal driving, which is usually enough power to pass people without having to floor it, even on the freeway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so i understand that i will have ptb if i do this, but know one has said if this is a good idea to do or not. would you go this route? should i spend the money on something else maybe like an exhaust, or s1 cause that is about what this ebc and wga will cost me. which of these three would be the better buy.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ajtbag said:
ok so i understand that i will have ptb if i do this, but know one has said if this is a good idea to do or not. would you go this route? should i spend the money on something else maybe like an exhaust, or s1 cause that is about what this ebc and wga will cost me. which of these three would be the better buy.
Look, I just installed an AGP WGA yesterday. I heard PTB, PTB, and PTB some more. Granted, my car is S2 w/Toys, but, unless you plant it down about 75% throttle, and hold it up above 3500 RPM's, it's not noticeable that it has a PTB problem! Driven even semi-normal, you'd never know it was any different than stock.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ajtbag said:
i would go s1 first to avoid the headaches of throwing overboost codes all the time

·
Registered
969 Posts
s1 is a waste of money...

you can eliminate overboost codes VERY easily, and for under 5 dollars, if you need to buy anything at all

you cannot beat a new wga as a first mod....hands down, regardless of PTB

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
33w10u2 said:

you can eliminate overboost codes VERY easily, and for under 5 dollars, if you need to buy anything at all

in my experience s1 is not a waste of money. i will say that i would not spend 500 on it now, but i bought mine used to 200. if you plan on running without a cat, then it is very much worth it imo. of course, there are other ways of eliminating boost codes and cat codes, but i think the options are half ass compared to just getting the s1 pcm. and if i recall, doesnt the s1 pcm up injector duty?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
on a sidenote I would like to congradulate this guy for being the 1st person ever on the forums to admit he has no idea what he's doing!

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
If you want more boost, yet minimal PTB. Your best bet is to go Stage 2 with or without toys. Bolt it on, and go. No PTB and all the drivability as stock. Plus Stage too is a good base to start with.

However, if you can handle the PTB and learn to drive around it. You can make more power in the long run on the stock turbo with an adjustable wga or true boost.

·
Registered
969 Posts
jonny04srt4 said:
33w10u2 said:

in my experience s1 is not a waste of money. i will say that i would not spend 500 on it now, but i bought mine used to 200. if you plan on running without a cat, then it is very much worth it imo. of course, there are other ways of eliminating boost codes and cat codes, but i think the options are half ass compared to just getting the s1 pcm. and if i recall, doesnt the s1 pcm up injector duty?

I'm running 18 psi on stock fuel system, and my AFR is still 9 at WOT, with stage 0.

The no cat thing i take care of by clearing the code with my interceptor pro scangauge.

The extra timing of s0 is worth it to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts