Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that when I driving with AC on if I come to a stop it dies. Even if I turn it on at idle it will die after a few moments with idle going rough. I think started to see it happen when driving, I can down shift and the car dies right away then it roll starts itself back up so I have stopped using AC any ideas on what can cause this?!?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Need to replace the IAC valve. Easy fix, 10 minute job and about $30 part.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
It does sound like it could be the idle air control (IAC) pintle/valve. I'd start with removing and carefully cleaning, also checking the wiring as the have been known to have the wiring break inside the pin of the connector (similar to the throttle position sensor (TPS)). Also might want to take a look at the vacuum harness to make sure nothing is leaking and the intake manifold hasn't given out which can cause issues with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor to read incorrectly and command an incorrect IAC opening value.

One other thing, is the compressor for the air conditioner making any loud noises, banging or clunking when the compressor's clutch engages and disengages? Although they're pretty robust and don't seem to have a high failure rate if the clutch isn't working correctly and disengaging when the computer is expecting it to be disengaged it might cause the engine to bog down. Probably not very likely and if it sounds like it's working normal under regular operation you almost certainly have another issue like the IAC or vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will try the IAC. Looked up price and it's like $80-$100 for it most stores around here. Did find it on rockauto for a lot less.
I tried a smoke test took hose off of PCV and blew smoke through it. Only smoke was right at the IAC

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Will try the IAC. Looked up price and it's like $80-$100 for it most stores around here. Did find it on rockauto for a lot less.
I tried a smoke test took hose off of PCV and blew smoke through it. Only smoke was right at the IAC
It's not worth it if it's aftermarket. You can find a Mopar one cheaper online, just will take a few days to get it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You can try to clean it first, but I've never had any luck cleaning them. It might work for you though and save you some $

·
Registered
365 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts