Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used the permatex copper spray gasket in a can for my o2 housing connection to the manifold, and i used it for a few weeks but the o2 housing joint was leaking so its off right now and im trying to clean the flanges so i can fix the leak but i can not, for the life of me get the baked on copper spray stuff off the flange. is there any way to remove the copper shit?? its almost as if its part of the metal now so i cant make the flanges flat and clean. i been scrapeing at it with a razor now for 2 hours and useing metal polish but i cant get it off. anyone have any clu whats the best way to remove the copper spray on the flanges. or shoould i just spray a new coat right over the old coat?

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
did you try a Dremel?? Be careful though.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
ironically, permatex also makes a gasket remover that you should be able to byu from the same exact shelf where you picked up the copper gasket in the first place. i see it there all the time when i go to buy my stuff. if for some reason they do not carry it, you can get a gasket removing brush and use your drill to buff it off. those bristles are strong enough to remove and clean up gasket sets, but not so harsh that they damage the metal. its what i used on my exhaust...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine is stuck on the turbo manifold flange. i dont want to damage it at all so whats the best way then besides a dremle, the bristle brush wont damage the metal ?

·
Registered
783 Posts
i did my block off plate with copper spray and it started leaking so i had to
redo it so what i did was take a lite sand paper and sand it down carefully and that worked for me
try sanding down a little

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lunchbox660 said:
ironically, permatex also makes a gasket remover that you should be able to byu from the same exact shelf where you picked up the copper gasket in the first place. i see it there all the time when i go to buy my stuff. if for some reason they do not carry it, you can get a gasket removing brush and use your drill to buff it off. those bristles are strong enough to remove and clean up gasket sets, but not so harsh that they damage the metal. its what i used on my exhaust...
i cant even remove it with a bristle brush. will the gasket remover remove the baked on copper that seams impossible to remove?? theres no way im sanding it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
they have these pads that gon on the bottom of a angle grinder that are like scotch brite pad material. those work really good for removing that kind of stuff i use them all the time at the dealership.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah i would not sand that down or use a dremel tool you will wreck the flange.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it wasnt bad that i tried a bristle brush was it?? it was small and had very fine hair like bristles.

anyway im going to buy the gasket remover spray tomorrow and give that a try, the permatex websight says it will remove baked on gaskets in 15 minutes or less. so hopefully it works. i need to go to bed. thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
i used the permatex copper spray gasket in a can for my o2 housing connection to the manifold, and i used it for a few weeks but the o2 housing joint was leaking so its off right now and im trying to clean the flanges so i can fix the leak but i can not, for the life of me get the baked on copper spray stuff off the flange. is there any way to remove the copper shit?? its almost as if its part of the metal now so i cant make the flanges flat and clean. i been scrapeing at it with a razor now for 2 hours and useing metal polish but i cant get it off. anyone have any clu whats the best way to remove the copper spray on the flanges. or shoould i just spray a new coat right over the old coat?
Try baby oil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts