Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at the heat sheild that needs to come off for the stage two wga install. looks like a pain in the ass as far as the bolts are concerned. :flame: anyone that has already done this install have any advice, tips to make this run smoothly? want to do this tomorrow but have limited timeslot. what can i expect as far as the time it will take for the install? and, oh yeah, how many bolts are on that heat sheild? i saw five at a glance
i know those a quite a few ?'s for one post but i would appreciate any info from someone that has experienced this first hand

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
okay, i did this a week ago

biggest problem is dropping the bolts

use plenty of liquid wrench

use box wrenches

it can take as little as 30 minutes

or it can take more

what I would have done

buy 1-2 extra cotter pins I used a diff. type of pin that had a keyhole shape at the end

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
My key tip would be using a 6 point box end wrench or socket where applicable. Just be sure it is 6 point until you get them broken loose. A 12 point has a tendency to round them off.

Also use PB Blaster on them first.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok. I just actually installed my WGA and MBC today. My bolts were on there so tight, I didn't budge them until... I went out and bought some liquid wrench with penetrant AND lubricant. Still didn't budge them. So, my dad tought me this trick: leverage is your best friend. Get a long pipe that fits on the end of your socket wrench, and everyone of those bolts has an angle that a long pole can be stuck on to and used to your advantage (even the worst one that is way down on the driver side can be done with a little finagling) . Loosened them right up with very little effort. It's much better than not using a pole and letting your hand slip into the engine and other parts and cutting it up real bad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
racer3456 said:
Ok. I just actually installed my WGA and MBC today. My bolts were on there so tight, I didn't budge them until... I went out and bought some liquid wrench with penetrant AND lubricant. Still didn't budge them. So, my dad tought me this trick: leverage is your best friend. Get a long pipe that fits on the end of your socket wrench, and everyone of those bolts has an angle that a long pole can be stuck on to and used to your advantage (even the worst one that is way down on the driver side can be done with a little finagling) . Loosened them right up with very little effort. It's much better than not using a pole and letting your hand slip into the engine and other parts and cutting it up real bad.
that's the trick I used on my old car for the alternator...........longer the bar the easier

·
Registered
198 Posts
turbo-boy said:
only put 2 top bolts back in.
that's funny you say that because those were the only two that would go back in, and trust me, it's plenty. 5 is waaaaaay too many.

·
Banned
166 Posts
I have done a few wga installs and the one thing I noticed is WD-40 etc.... is your best friend. I generously spray each bolt, let it sit for 10-20 minutes. Take a 6 point 10 mm wrench and break each bolt lose, it works everytime. I got tired of taking and putting back the bolts on my car, I just keep the shield on with no bolts.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
preciate it doing it tomorrow

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
PB Blaster couple times half hour before then warm car for a minute. 6 point wrenches and sockets. Break right loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts