Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off I have read most of the sticky's mabye not all the way through but atleast glanced over them. I see that the HID replacment may be a bad thing saftey wise and is just a cheap ineffective alternative. So I noticed that Hack always recommends the Retro fit(Still not exactly sure what it entitles) so I would like to get those but Ive noticed no one sells them, its mainly a assemble your self kinda thing.

So what do I need for Retro Fits and is it ez for a "noob" to install themselves.

On a side note I read about the blue color thing that it was bad is it refering to this:

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a2/3a/d480_3.JPG

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Retros are super dee duper expensive...your looking at about $1000 for the setup. As for the "blue" thing being bad I guess it really depends on your preference. You see with the Bluer looking lights that people buy (8K and up) you have less of what is referred to as "usable light." Basically the best bulbs that can be had with thee most usable light is going to be your 5300K HID setups.

The problem is that our cars do not have HID capable headlight housings. So when you get a "plug and play" kit the light shines in many directions that it is not supposed to due to the stock housings (which are made for halogen lights). You get what is called glare which isnt so much a problem for you but for other drivers in oncoming traffic.

I personally am indeed guilty of all of this since I have 6K bulbs in my stock housings. You lose your ability to have highbeams but the light that the bulbls produce is so much more crisp than the stock halogens or even silverstars which I had for a long time. I personally love the lights and I wouldnt go back. My only real complaint about them is the fact that when they are on they nearly make my radio useless due to the interference they cause.

Hope that was a little helpful for ya!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
bmxking45 said:
Retros are super dee duper expensive...your looking at about $1000 for the setup. As for the "blue" thing being bad I guess it really depends on your preference. You see with the Bluer looking lights that people buy (8K and up) you have less of what is referred to as "usable light." Basically the best bulbs that can be had with thee most usable light is going to be your 5300K HID setups.

The problem is that our cars do not have HID capable headlight housings. So when you get a "plug and play" kit the light shines in many directions that it is not supposed to due to the stock housings (which are made for halogen lights). You get what is called glare which isnt so much a problem for you but for other drivers in oncoming traffic.

I personally am indeed guilty of all of this since I have 6K bulbs in my stock housings. You lose your ability to have highbeams but the light that the bulbls produce is so much more crisp than the stock halogens or even silverstars which I had for a long time. I personally love the lights and I wouldnt go back. My only real complaint about them is the fact that when they are on they nearly make my radio useless due to the interference they cause.

Hope that was a little helpful for ya!!
Retros, if done personally, are not going to cost a thousand bucks.
Find yourself some good 07 maxima projectors on ebay, and go to HIDplanet to pick up an OEM type HID kit with ballasts by phillips...not going to be 1k. Even if you have someone else make them for you, when that new vendor started offering the first batch, i think his base kit price was like 750.00.

So you have a few options...but since you're a noob, i would research a lot before buying stuff you might not need and wasting all kinds of dough.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
^^Yup, if you do it yourself you save hundreds.

DEPOs = $200 from modern performance

HID projectors = $100-$350++ depending on what you want (you get what you pay for)

OEM HID ballast and bulbs = $379 ("Gen 3" package from hidplanet)

You can find most of it here http://www.hidplanet.com/oem.html (new) or here www.hidplanet.com/forums (used) or of course ebay (used)

Materials and odd's and in's = $>40

Priceless when compaired to rebased HID kits that just pop in your halogen designed stock housing.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
well I dont think bi-xenon "plug and play" kits have bi-xenon. That is a setup that requires 2 ballasts from what I understand and Im not even sure if that can be had on a single bulb. Perhaps you can prove me wrong since I certainly do not know for sure!!

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
SRASRT4 said:
bmxking45 said:
You lose your ability to have highbeams
If you get bi-xenon you don't lose your high beams...
The kits aren't "bi-xenon". Yet they do have a puny cute H3 bulb that does nothing as far as performance goes. So technically you do get a "high beam" however its useless.

True bi-xenon uses a bi-xenon HID projector.

Bi-xenon uses one ballast and one bulb, just like a single xenon HID retrofit.

This is how it works by moving the cutoff shield inside the projector to expose a high beam pattern....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts