Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having alot of problems first of all when im going like 45mph in 4th gear and floor the gas my car will make a clicking sound and the after like 5 seconds the car will backfire and plain out give out(it feels like you slam on the brakes).The second thing is when driving and i let off the gas it sounds like i have a B.O.V but i dont have one installed. And the last thing is there is a leaking sound comming from under the hood mainly when idling. A few people told me that my wastegate was broken so i just ordered a new, but i just wanted to know if anyone else knew what might have happened. :rofl:

· Premium Member
6,668 Posts
why are you "Flooring it" in 4th gear at 45mph?
You're at like 1900 rpm and when you punch it you are just lugging the motor down. Keep them rpm's up between 2500 &3500 rpm for optimum effect when givint the car full throttle, or there abouts

· Registered
4,829 Posts
The clicking sounds lead up to the backfire? Bad tank of gas, check plugs, perhaps coilpack, wires.
Do a third gear run. See if the detonation occurs at a certain boost level, could be the load causes it, denotes something ignition or gas.

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was using that as an example, i tell you the whole thing, i was driving normal going about 45mph in 4th i slowly accelerated and as i was doing so i heard a ticking noise so i speed up faster and after like 5secs it did what i said. A friend of mine also has an SRT and he did the same thing as me and nothing happened. i know its stupid to accelerate fast when your going slow in 4th gear, but its unusual because the car has never done that before and i wanna find out whats up with it.

· Registered
642 Posts
that's funny i thought this was SRT4a-kid or whatever posting....very close names.

sucks about the car man (buying it w/ no warranty). check the plugs and wires see if they're bad (compare them to your friend's car). and do you have a CEL?

· Registered
7,044 Posts
yep sounds like detanation from over boosting. = bad. what kind of boost levels are you getting when this happening? what kinda of gas are you running? first i would do new plugs and wires. check all hoses,clamps and vacum lines. all of this info can be found on this site. diagrams and how to's for all the basic stuff.

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2004NeonSRT4 said:
yep sounds like detanation from over boosting. = bad. what kind of boost levels are you getting when this happening? what kinda of gas are you running? first i would do new plugs and wires. check all hoses,clamps and vacum lines. all of this info can be found on this site. diagrams and how to's for all the basic stuff.
My boost gauge goes way past 25psi down to the little black screw, obviously the gauge is broken, and just recently the gauge froze and is stuck at 1-2psi so im not quite sure what boost levels im getting. I only use Shell 93octane. Also i have new MSD wires, but not sure about the plugs.All the hoses i could get to and find have zip-tied.

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JustANeonButBadass said:
that's funny i thought this was SRT4a-kid or whatever posting....very close names.

sucks about the car man (buying it w/ no warranty). check the plugs and wires see if they're bad (compare them to your friend's car). and do you have a CEL?
yeah i have a cell, Email me for it.

· SRT-4 Guru (Tech Team)
1,073 Posts
Your boost gage WAS not broken..... It might be now...

Here's the issue:

There was a level of software that allowed super low RPM overboosting. The low RPM boost goal was set real high for turbo response, but when the car is lugged at 2000 to 2500 RPM's for more than a second or two the boost would overshoot and then overboost fuel-cut-off would kick-in.

Simply go to a dealer and get the very latest SRT-4 software flashed into your car and you'll be fine....

OR don't go around WOT'ing your car at 2000 RPM in 4th gear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.